HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Can ipad works with mobile broadband sim card?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Can ipad works with mobile broadband sim card?

Hi,

I'm getting a ipad soon. can ipad works with mobile broadband sim cards?
Understand that many people are getting dual sim for 3g usage in their ipad.

i was wondering if i can get a moblie broadband sim card, can it work with ipad?
or the mobile broadband sim card only work with a donker?

can anyone advise me?

do i still need to get ipad + 3G + wifi?
kenxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes you should. However the iPad uses the MicroSIM so it means you can to go cut up your SIM card to size to fit into the iPad. I am sure there are people here or shops in SLS which are willing to do it for a small fee.

You could also just get the Wifi iPad and get a Mifi device and put in the regular data SIM card in the Mifi device and share your connection with all your devices. I am using the Huawei C5. This way there is no need to get the more expensive 3G model and you do not need to cut up your SIM and still be able to share connections with your other devices.

Last edited by eddy2099sg; 16-03-2011 at 05:10 PM..
eddy2099sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Master Member

do take note that if you get the wifi ipad, you cannot use it as a gps navigation device. Only the 3g version has gps built in. On that note, the ipad 3g with its big screen is 1 of the best and versatile gps navigation solutions
Old 16-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

eddy2099sg: Thank you, the MIfi is interesting, something i have not heard of. thank you.

AsusEpoxy: Thank you, this is something that i may miss out. i do drive and i do need that. Thank you
kenxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #5

just to add on, mobile broadband sim card can also be used in phone. that is what i do when i do not have data plan.
ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Master Member

do take note that if you get the wifi ipad, you cannot use it as a gps navigation device. Only the 3g version has gps built in. On that note, the ipad 3g with its big screen is 1 of the best and versatile gps navigation solutions
hmm interesting.I don't drive and seldom bring my wifi ipad go out thus it has GPS chip or not for wifi ipad don't bother me.

but I happen to find this interesting news.

iPhone Personal Hotspot transmitting GPS information to tethered iPads?

You may not have known this, but besides missing a 3G radio, the WiFi-only iPad also lacks the A-GPS chip that enables exact GPS positioning versus less-accurate WiFi triangulation. Well, according to Tablet Monsters, if you've got an iPhone with iOS 4.3 and are subscribed to Personal Hotspot, your shiny slate should be able to tap into the GPS chip of it's smaller-screened family member. Reports in the MacRumors forums confirm that people are indeed seeing this added functionality on both iPad 2 and the original. Though the native Maps app is reportedly working perfectly there's talk of unfriendliness in turn-by-turn GPS apps -- though this could have to do with the refresh rate of the transmission. If you're already shelling out for the Personal Hotspot plan this is a nice added bonus, and makes the choice between the 3G iPad and the WiFi one just a little bit easier -- assuming you've got an iPhone of course. Still skeptical? Check out a video of it in action after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/i...n-to-tethered/

someone reply mention wifi ipad do have a GPS chipset inside.?

ACSFernalld 3 minutes ago
That's not what's happening. The iPhone is only relaying the data signal, while the WiFi iPad actually DOES have a GPS chip in it, it just isn't able to bring in the data when not on a WiFi connection. I've had cached maps before and been driving the down the road with my WiFi iPad and it shows where I am, because of its GPS chip
[[小马哥]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #7

eddy2099sg: Thank you, the MIfi is interesting, something i have not heard of. thank you.

AsusEpoxy: Thank you, this is something that i may miss out. i do drive and i do need that. Thank you
instead of getting a dedicated mifi device, why not get a cheap Android 2.2 phone?

For eg, the Huawei Ideos goes for just below $300 (was selling at IT Show for $269). Even better, i think u can get the LG Optimus 1 for ard $290 online. for the $100 or so extra, u get wireless hotspot, a wifi-capable mobile phone, multi-media and game player, ebook reader, FM radio, and even built-in GPS! also easy to get spare batteries unlike the dedicated mifi which usually have built-in, unswappable battery

i think an Android phone and an ipod/ipad makes a good combination
surefire888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Master Member

i intend to cut the SIM card to micro-sim size. 4Mbps is gd enough on the move.
Old 17-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #9

Geez... I tot Ipad can use BBOM too. Luckily I chance upon this thread. Now I need some more advice.

My situation now: My phone is on sintel (no data plan), and I intend to upgrade to iphone 4 and change my plan. Then I got a wifi+3G ipad as present and I got a spare BBOM which I tot can use on the ipad. My BBOM is on M1.

So what should I do now to cut cost? I'm really lost. Read about the multi-sim thingy but still bur.
snoopysnoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #10

hmm interesting.I don't drive and seldom bring my wifi ipad go out thus it has GPS chip or not for wifi ipad don't bother me.

but I happen to find this interesting news.

iPhone Personal Hotspot transmitting GPS information to tethered iPads?

You may not have known this, but besides missing a 3G radio, the WiFi-only iPad also lacks the A-GPS chip that enables exact GPS positioning versus less-accurate WiFi triangulation. Well, according to Tablet Monsters, if you've got an iPhone with iOS 4.3 and are subscribed to Personal Hotspot, your shiny slate should be able to tap into the GPS chip of it's smaller-screened family member. Reports in the MacRumors forums confirm that people are indeed seeing this added functionality on both iPad 2 and the original. Though the native Maps app is reportedly working perfectly there's talk of unfriendliness in turn-by-turn GPS apps -- though this could have to do with the refresh rate of the transmission. If you're already shelling out for the Personal Hotspot plan this is a nice added bonus, and makes the choice between the 3G iPad and the WiFi one just a little bit easier -- assuming you've got an iPhone of course. Still skeptical? Check out a video of it in action after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/i...n-to-tethered/

someone reply mention wifi ipad do have a GPS chipset inside.?

ACSFernalld 3 minutes ago
That's not what's happening. The iPhone is only relaying the data signal, while the WiFi iPad actually DOES have a GPS chip in it, it just isn't able to bring in the data when not on a WiFi connection. I've had cached maps before and been driving the down the road with my WiFi iPad and it shows where I am, because of its GPS chip
I believe it's using Skyhook.

Don't tell me our routers all have GPS built-in?

Last edited by Fantazy; 17-03-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Fantazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #11

For the 3G ipad, how can I get a 3G micro sim card? I am currently using iphone4 microsim but i heard from apple retailers that I can buy microsim form singtel/m1/starhub for a small fee? Anyone knows?
crabstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

the 3g one u can just use the mobile broadband micro sim..

i got it as a package for my 10mbps plan, and they say can
littleredridinghood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #13

the 3g one u can just use the mobile broadband micro sim..

i got it as a package for my 10mbps plan, and they say can
Thanks, bro! That means I still need to get another microsim card to be under multisim with my existing phone number then.
crabstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

if u only have one micro sim on iphone 4. u need to apply for multi-sim, 2 cards accessing e same plan, at $5 more.

for me i dun need cos my net plan includes the bb on mobile, so my sim card is foc and my microsim in ipad is paid with e internet plan
littleredridinghood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #15

Think I'll go and cut my M1 broadband sim into micro sim. Any1 knows what should I do if the card is cut wrongly?
snoopysnoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.