Can't decide between ipad pro or mini 4

masterbedding

Reaction score
I currently own the air 1 and am looking to sell it away but can't decide which ipad to get.

Obviously the pro's hardware specs are mouthwatering, but it can quite cumbersome to carry outside and use and seems like it is catered to a niche range of professionals. Also its availabe size is 32Gb and 128Gb, which is a buzzkill for me as my air was the 64Gb. A 128Gb pro with the keyboard is pretty much the price of a base level MBA. Like a bit bo hua if it doesn't have a desktop OS and can't transfer files efficently.

I have used the mini 1 in the past and the size and form factor is great, brought it out pretty much everytime. And here's the thing, I've been considering to get a macbook pro for some time as my windows laptop is 4 yrs old.

TL DR
Sorry for wall of text but should i just get the ipad pro or get the mini 4 and a proper macbook? I feel like the ipad pro at the moment insufficient to replace a proper laptop.

dawntime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mini 4 and rMBP until you hands on with iPad pro and feel it's worth the price as I believe in your scenario its to 'replace' MBP and mini 4.

masterbedding

Reaction score
Agreed, thats the situation. Probably means hold off till Nov to decide between the 2 options. Will be quite a hassle to sell off the mini 4 after 2 months of usage.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Remember, an iPad cannot replace a Macbook for functionality. But yet again, if you like larger screens without the extra cost and bulk, then the iPad Pro is ideal.

Mini 4 wise, just strictly for portability.

addictzz

Reaction score
Personally I can't see how a 12.9" tablet could be used as mobile device for your daily usage. And since it can't run desktop OS yet, it cannot be used as notebook replacement device.

Probably the only usage I can see for iPad Pro now is that if you are a drawing artist, architect, or interior designer.

So it's Mini4+rMBP :)

SleepyBoi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Playing the devil's advocate here, but your initial post plus your replies to the advices given by others here seem to indicate you already have a preference and just want some validation and support lol.

iPad pro is about the weight of the first original iPad.

And from personal experience, iPad mini is too big to carry without a bag, be it sling bag or man purse. If you are carrying a bag, chances are you can take an iPad pro with you.

To the mini's credit, it is the easier device to use one handed as well as used standing up (on bus, MRT, or bus stop, etc) for quick browsing.

I myself own an iPad Air 2, and I am thinking if I should get the pro due to portability and ease of handling it too.

masterbedding

Reaction score
Playing the devil's advocate here, but your initial post plus your replies to the advices given by others here seem to indicate you already have a preference and just want some validation and support lol.

iPad pro is about the weight of the first original iPad.

And from personal experience, iPad mini is too big to carry without a bag, be it sling bag or man purse. If you are carrying a bag, chances are you can take an iPad pro with you.

To the mini's credit, it is the easier device to use one handed as well as used standing up (on bus, MRT, or bus stop, etc) for quick browsing.

I myself own an iPad Air 2, and I am thinking if I should get the pro due to portability and ease of handling it too.

Agreed, those are very valid points, just looking for proper counterarguments to make a rational decision. For me personally, I find it pretty hard to justify the price of 1K+ for the 128Gb ipad pro, for the price range can get a proper laptop. The ipad pro at its current status isn't enough to replace a laptop, for eg a file management system.

parchiao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My suggestion to TS.

Consider the Mini only and only if you want to carry an iPad wherever you go. If you are someone who likes larger screens, the Mini will always be inadequate, period.

For the iPad Pro, the cost does not make much sense. In addition, there is the rumoured MBA retina i.e. 13" and 15" to be released next year to consider. In my opinion, it makes for a nice screen to watch movies.

If you are considering the iPad Air 2, it will be outdated in no time so I would suggest you get from the refurbished store if you do finally settle on this.

sdchew

Reaction score
You should also consider if you watch movies on your iPad at night before bed;

Speaking from personal memories with regards to the original iPad, the iPad mini doesn't hurt so much when you fall asleep and it comes crashing down on your face :s13:

masterbedding

Reaction score
My suggestion to TS.

Consider the Mini only and only if you want to carry an iPad wherever you go. If you are someone who likes larger screens, the Mini will always be inadequate, period.

For the iPad Pro, the cost does not make much sense. In addition, there is the rumoured MBA retina i.e. 13" and 15" to be released next year to consider. In my opinion, it makes for a nice screen to watch movies.

If you are considering the iPad Air 2, it will be outdated in no time so I would suggest you get from the refurbished store if you do finally settle on this.

Didn't know about the rumoured MBA retina. That would be a viable option as well, better than the macbook.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Y u need such a power ipad that yr current ipad air can't do? Unless u need to do some real work (eg create word docu), else it is pretty cumbersome. I find 10inch tabs too big for mobility. 8inch just nice.

U can use mini w apple tv

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.