Is it fair to force people to buy bundle?

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looking forward to have an Apple Store in Singapore.
that will mark the end/death of authorized resellers' silly sales tactics~:s13:

but will be nice to see one.. with the glasses surrounding the store.. so class..

Apple-Store-pic1.jpg

punggolkid

Reaction score
that will mark the end/death of authorized resellers' silly sales tactics~:s13:

but will be nice to see one.. with the glasses surrounding the store.. so class..

Apple-Store-pic1.jpg

I actually thought the new glass facade at Plaza Singapura would be awesome for an Apple store.

chris888222

Reaction score
How I wish Apple come to Singapore open one ACTUAL retail store. They have new stores coming to Turkey and Brazil... Come on la Apple please come to Singapore and get rid of these shops.

That Plaza Singapura place would be great for a store.
Plus over there got one CrapStudio shop.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How I wish Apple come to Singapore open one ACTUAL retail store. They have new stores coming to Turkey and Brazil... Come on la Apple please come to Singapore and get rid of these shops.

That Plaza Singapura place would be great for a store.
Plus over there got one CrapStudio shop.

Haha!!!!!!!!!! Crapstudios

OldGeorge

Reaction score
To Original TS. U have to pay GST if you are entering Singapore. There is no such thing that the shop is unable to charge u the GST because it is inside the airport.

If the shop said that to you and they wanted you to buy the SP as their recommendation to u to circumvent the GST, that is an infringement of the tax rules and a crime. Please be aware of this and if that is what really happened, my advice is that you should lodged a report to IRAS.

kalasala

Reaction score
Duty-free Concession and GST Relief

In general, all goods imported into Singapore are subject to duty and / or Goods and Services Tax (GST), regardless of whether the goods were purchased overseas or in Singapore, and for personal or commercial use. You are required to declare the goods in your possession, including goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons, to the checking officer at the Red Channel or pay the taxes at Singapore Customs Tax Payment Office or the self-service Tax Payment Kiosk. For more information on Customs clearance procedure, please click here.

You may, however, enjoy duty-free concession for liquors products and Goods and Services Tax (GST) relief on goods meant for your personal use or consumption subject to fulfilment of the stipulated conditions.

No Concession for Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products

There is NO duty-free concession and GST relief for cigarettes and other tobacco products in Singapore.

You have to pay taxes in order to bring in all cigarettes and other tobacco products, including those purchased in Singapore or SDPC-marked.

No Concession for Motor Spirits

There is NO duty-free concession and GST relief on motor spirits in containers.

Duty-Free Concession for Liquor Products

You can enjoy one of the following duty-free concessions for liquor products if:

You are 18 years old or above;
You have spent 48 hours or more outside Singapore immediately before arrival;
You have not arrived from Malaysia; and
The liquors are not prohibited from import into Singapore.
Option

Spirits

Wine

Beer

A

1 Litre

1 Litre

1 Litre

B

-

2 Litres

1 Litre

C

-

1 Litre

2 Litres

These options are also applicable for liquors consumed for health reasons and used in cooking such as D.O.M, Yomeishu, samsoo, rice wine and cooking wine.

Duty-free concessions can be granted on liquor products purchased outside Singapore as well as those purchased at DFS Singapore. For travellers who wish to purchase duty-free liquor products upon their arrival in Singapore, they may do so at the Arrival Hall after they have cleared immigration. For travellers departing Singapore, they may purchase duty-free liquor products at the Transit Hall after they have cleared immigration.

There is no duty-free concession on liquor products if you are arriving from Malaysia, whether by air, sea, road or rail.

If you are a bona fide crew member, you will be granted duty-free concession on 0.25 litre of spirits, and either 1 litre of wine or 1 litre of beer.

Duty-free concessions are granted on goods for your personal consumption only. It is an offence to sell or give them away.

You have to pay the taxes on goods exceeding your duty-free concession and on goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons. For more information on the duty rates imposed on the goods, please click here.

Goods and Services Tax Relief

From 1 April 2012, the amount of GST import relief for new items brought in by a bona fide traveller will no longer be dependent on his age. To keep pace with rising expenditures and international norms, the GST relief for new items brought in by travellers has been simplified.

You can enjoy GST relief up to the following values of goods, excluding cigarettes, tobacco, liquors and petroleum products.

Period away from Singapore

Value of Goods

48 hours or more

S$600

Less than 48 hours

S$150

Such goods include new articles, souvenirs, gifts and food preparation which are for your personal use and not meant for sale.
Holders of a work permit, employment pass, student pass, dependent pass or long-term pass issued by the Singapore Government and crew members are NOT eligible for GST relief.

You have to pay the taxes on goods exceeding your GST relief and on goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons. GST is levied on the value of the goods, which may include the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) plus other chargeable costs and the duty payable (if applicable).

It is your responsibility to make an accurate and complete declaration of all goods exceeding your duty-free concession and GST relief in your possession, including goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons.

If you did not make a declaration at the Red Channel or pay the taxes due, you can be prosecuted in court and fined up to $10,000 and imprisonment for up to three years. For more information on Customs offences, please click here.

Source: Duty-free Concession and GST Relief

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys

Too complicated la. I don't want to explain too much on GST theory but some airport retailers don't charge GST to attract customers. Just go to airport and take a look and you will know

Anyway, the key thing is the bundle and not GST. I have no problem paying GST with my IPad but no stupid bundle.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys

Another thing to add is rules are rules but you imagine imposing tax on LV, Montblanc bags bought overseas for personal use. The ladies are gonna "kill" every custom officer with their cold stare...

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Changi airport guys are investigating and they are checking with other retailers the price structure...again, they make it so complex

IStudio management is suppose to answer why they do this. They are given today to do that but they ask for extension....

One simple thing become like rocket science like that....now I think they are still spending sleepless nights on how to counter my claims....

Let's see la....those companies which take so long to investigate on simple thing, I got no respect for them...how big is their company? Last time I work for a company with 20,000 head count globally, we investigate things even faster than them...

One simple thing take from last fri to this thur still like headless chicken

bojo387

Reaction score
I recall last year when I bought the ipad2 from HN in Westmall, they asked me to purchase the smart cover to allow me to pay via credit card installment. If I didn't purchase the smart cover, I have to pay in full. I reckoned since I wanted the smart cover anyway, then it was fine. Plus, at that time, stocks were scarce and only epicentre and best denki allowed installment but were out of stock..

But what if the item was something you don't need or want? That'll be hard to swallow...

anpanbun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Changi airport guys are investigating and they are checking with other retailers the price structure...again, they make it so complex

IStudio management is suppose to answer why they do this. They are given today to do that but they ask for extension....

One simple thing become like rocket science like that....now I think they are still spending sleepless nights on how to counter my claims....

Let's see la....those companies which take so long to investigate on simple thing, I got no respect for them...how big is their company? Last time I work for a company with 20,000 head count globally, we investigate things even faster than them...

One simple thing take from last fri to this thur still like headless chicken
I'm curious to know what they are going to come up with.

anpanbun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recall last year when I bought the ipad2 from HN in Westmall, they asked me to purchase the smart cover to allow me to pay via credit card installment. If I didn't purchase the smart cover, I have to pay in full. I reckoned since I wanted the smart cover anyway, then it was fine. Plus, at that time, stocks were scarce and only epicentre and best denki allowed installment but were out of stock..

But what if the item was something you don't need or want? That'll be hard to swallow...
HN probably knew that hence e cover purchase requisite.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I post the outcome here, all of u will vomit blood. I don't even know what are they trying to explain.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I refer to your complaint to CAG dated 12 November 2012 regarding the sales of the iPad mini with the Screen Protector.

iStudio has been operating at the Singapore Changi Airport for more than 5 years as an Apple Premium Reseller. Our Terminal Two store started operation 5 months ago. Our service level to Changi Airport passengers have been impeccable based on the many compliments as well as service awards we have received. As an Apple-appointed retailer, our main objective is to ensure the availability of Apple products to all passenger and to ensure our service standards meet with customer expectation. It is not our objective to exploit passengers at our airport by 'forcing people to buy things they doesn't want'. This is not our business policy. We do not force passengers to make purchases and we have not received any complaints of similar nature before.

Apple's full range of products are sold at very few airports globally. Their lack of availability is testimonial of what iStudio have achieved at Changi Airport. The availability of iPad mini as a bundled package is an example of this achievement. Your statement that additional profits are made from this sales of accessory is not accurate. We sold many iPad mini to-date at our airport stores and depending on stock availability from Apple, we will continue to ensure they are available to our airport passengers.

It is therefore regrettable that we have failed to meet with your expectation and we apologise for this. If needed, we would be most pleased to meet with you together with the relevant airport officials to understand better the nature of your complaints.

In the meantime, we hope to be of service to you.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Totally didn't answer my question but as usual, a standard reply will be sorry, it wasn't my fault

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.