HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

few questions before buying ipad2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #1

few questions before buying ipad2

Hi guys,

May I ask if I can jailbreak as long as the fw is 4.3.3 or below,right? doesn't matter if the ipad2 is wifi or wifi+3g?

Seems many ppl getting ipad2 wifi only? any idea why? is it becoz they can tether from iphone4 and tethering speed is as good as 3g speed?

Also,most impt question...ipad warranty same as iphone? meaning we get 1 to 1 exchange on the spot?

Many thanks in advance.
heng_alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Master Member

1) ipad on iOS4.3.3 can be jailbroken...doesn't matter which model

2) Maybe bcos 3G model sold out and they can't wait? Internet tethering an alternative but it'll drain your iphone's batt life. Speed is dependent on your mobile plan u subscribe to and location.

3) Can't confirm about the exchange 1 to 1 on the spot warranty, but also depends on whether they'll allow which I highly doubt so if there's not enough stocks.
mambo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

most of my frens using wifi ones they tether via their iphone coz they wana save on the multisim cost. so it depends how you see it. for me, i want hassle free and access the net as and when i need directly, so i go for 3G and pay 10 bucks for my multisim per month.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #4

if not mistaken, for non-jailbroken iPhones you can only set up your hot spot for computers only and not for any other iProducts and i've a non jailbroken phone and have no intention of jailbreaking it therefore i NEED a 3G feature and im using the sim card of my mobile broadband now.

so just in case none of our iphones can be jailbroken anymore, you will NEED a 3G feature...
Old 13-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

if not mistaken, for non-jailbroken iPhones you can only set up your hot spot for computers only and not for any other iProducts and i've a non jailbroken phone and have no intention of jailbreaking it therefore i NEED a 3G feature and im using the sim card of my mobile broadband now.

so just in case none of our iphones can be jailbroken anymore, you will NEED a 3G feature...
incorrect,iPhone without jailbroken can share Hotspot with any iDevice.
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

Tethering has its limitations as well... As you all know iphone the battery life drains when you use tethering...

Iphone batt dead = no internet no phone call
kenny_2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Master Member

My guess is that for those people, they may be using their ipads only in places with wireless access (eg: home, work, school).

However, unless I am 100% sure I will never need 3G, I would just splash out the extra $180 for the added assurance that I can enjoy internet access at all times and places. After all, I am still hanging on to an extra sim card courtesy of my Singtel internet plan, so it won't really cost me anything extra.
Old 13-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Go for 3G + multi sim. It's not worthwhile imo to tether. Too tedious and drains your iPhone battery. Sometimes u just want to check out somwthing online quickly and to tether just for that is just too troublesome. The added flexibility of being able to acess the internet anywhere anytime (if there is connectivity) for a 3G iPad is just priceless.
g3r41d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #9

I guess tethering the internet from the iPhone will work best if you have a juice pack (ie external battery for the iPhone), then you'll save money from buying the 3G component in the iPad, the fee for the additional SIM card and lastly, the monthly subscription from holding more than one SIM card. =)
Old 13-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

it really depend ur personal usage.

besides the extra $$ for getting 3G, u still need to subscribe to data plan (depend on plan) or multi-sim ($5-10 per month).

if in the end if u hardly go online when u r outside...u r bascially paying extra $$ for nothing.

might as well get those rechargable battery.
Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #11

Thank you guys for all the inputs,appreciate them.

By the way, warranty of ipad is same as Mac books right (i.e. international warranty)? So nobody consider getting it from JB? Seems to be around $80-90 cheaper.

Any free items we can get from ipad buys? My guess is No since news reported that Apple is able to sell all ipads that it produces.

So confirm as long as our mobile plan has data plan bundled then we can use it on ipad 3g hor? How about those mobile data plans that comes with a dongle,can i cut them and use them on the ipad? But those types need login when using on laptops so i wonder if they can work in ipad.
heng_alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Master Member

Thank you guys for all the inputs,appreciate them.

By the way, warranty of ipad is same as Mac books right (i.e. international warranty)? So nobody consider getting it from JB? Seems to be around $80-90 cheaper.

Any free items we can get from ipad buys? My guess is No since news reported that Apple is able to sell all ipads that it produces.

So confirm as long as our mobile plan has data plan bundled then we can use it on ipad 3g hor? How about those mobile data plans that comes with a dongle,can i cut them and use them on the ipad? But those types need login when using on laptops so i wonder if they can work in ipad.
If buy from jb, must see got stock or wat. Need to throw box away or else may risk being charge at custom for 7% gst tax stated at the custom.

No free gift, there is demand even if they don give free things.

Dongle data plan also can use. No need password. Just put in and it auto detect, which is I currently using this matter.
aileen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Master Member

If you are buying it now, I don't think you need the warranty. First reason is that I don't think the price of the warranty is justified on the ipad, 2nd being that ipad 3 may come out middle of next year, so that is just the right time to upgrade.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.