HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iBook workaround.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #1

iBook workaround.

Anyone found any solution to access ibook store the same way it should be in US? Beside buying gift card since I heard that dont work now.
Wanna grab some book to read on iPad and pre order the biography of Steve job. Thanks. :]
oosyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Buying gift cards don't work now? Since when? Is yours a US account?
Wizzard101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

but why ibook? any book in formats that it can recognize e.g. epub, pdf etc purchased from other online source can be added to your library...

And with software like calibre you can convert formats easily..
balzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

I have a US account, and i still have like $150 USD credit, so no problem for me. Some of my friends have problem cuz SG account
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #5

Using iBook as the first pre order of the biography in ebook Is only available on iBook.
So I need to create an US account and use my SG account to buy gift card for it? Thanks.
oosyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Yah, think you need a US account. Can buy gift cards from Qishan.
Wizzard101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #7

but why ibook? any book in formats that it can recognize e.g. epub, pdf etc purchased from other online source can be added to your library...

And with software like calibre you can convert formats easily..
converted books and the original iBooks format is different
i have bought some book
and sampled some book
none of the pirated book looks like that ;o
Reborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yah, think you need a US account. Can buy gift cards from Qishan.
same here have to do that
chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #9

I am looking to buy the biography of Steve job. Anyone know who have the best deal to buy the gift card?
maxheadroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #10

qishan, SGD65 for USD50... unless they adjust the price because of the stronger sgd

or best if you have a relative in the US with a US credit card who can "gift" you an iTunes card/code
wedgehammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #11

I am looking to buy the biography of Steve job. Anyone know who have the best deal to buy the gift card?
buy from www.kobobooks.com.

I just bought it
Old 26-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Master Member

iBooks works the same way as the appstore, except that it's not available in SG. So as many others have said, the only way is to register an US account, get hold of some gift cards and you can start rocking. I think the steps I posted are still in the FAQ.

Now there are other sources to buy the digital version. The cheapest I found is from kobobooks. They have a client on the iPad. But personally, I don't really like the layout and presentation of the app. But then it's personal preferences. Kobobooks didn't really mandate that you must be in the States to buy the book. I've bought a few books there and it works. But I think reading such books are best done on the Kindle.
Epee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Kobo is good. At least you know you can buy using your Singapore Account.
eddy2099sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #14

For those intending to make any ebook purchase from iBooks (using US or any other valid iTunes acc), 1 thing to note is that the ebooks purchased come with some pretty.. 'funky' DRM that is not exactly easy to remove (or even possible to be removed) at this time. So, if you use any other ereader like Kindle or Nook (other than iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Apple devices), you might have a problem.
kerrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #15

Kobo

I have been using kobo to buy books. They having Steve jobs book at abt us16. Will be buying it later too. The apps kobo cannot link you to the main bookstore cos I think apple has disabled it. But if you use safari and sign in to kobo web page itself, buying book is really piece of cake. After you have bought the book, you can go to the kobo apps to read from there. No need the problem of buying gift cards erc.
tally17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.