HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iPad 2 smart cover: Cool? Yes. Smart? Nope

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #1

iPad 2 smart cover: Cool? Yes. Smart? Nope

This cover has a basic flaw when used as a stand. If u watch the Apple video demo, you will see that the inside of the cover is always in contact with the table when used in either typing or viewing mode. This means that it can and will pick up dirt and other nasty stuff on its inner fabric lining... and we are supposed to roll it flat back onto the iPad screen surface after that??? Not so cool after all... unless u are always going to be working on a spotlessly clean surface or plan to get a screen protector too. (Wonder if the magnets will still work with screen protector on?)

I'm getting a normal case.
kenzone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

doesnt attract me too. rather invest in a book case than a cover that covers 1 side....
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

... smart cover wouldnt replace full casing ! .. the back of the ipad is exposed to scratches and dirt. marketing gimmick.
sagiluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

This cover has a basic flaw when used as a stand. If u watch the Apple video demo, you will see that the inside of the cover is always in contact with the table when used in either typing or viewing mode. This means that it can and will pick up dirt and other nasty stuff on its inner fabric lining... and we are supposed to roll it flat back onto the iPad screen surface after that??? Not so cool after all... unless u are always going to be working on a spotlessly clean surface or plan to get a screen protector too. (Wonder if the magnets will still work with screen protector on?)

I'm getting a normal case.
I think the magnet is on the side of the iPad 2. So I think screen protector will not hinder the megnet of the Smart Cover.
seller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

for those who feel thickness is a gain.. it helps
ayuluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #6

well... even the ipad 1 casing when open and lay on table, the inner part is resting on on table as well....
Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #7

I am sure other casing mfg will also come up with their casing that makes us of the magnetic feature....
dankoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #8

will the built-in magnet cause havoc to the digital compass?
neubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

the intention for smart cover is to give a minimalist protection to ipad 2 screen while maintaining its thin look and feel...

will probably go for gskin / bodyguardz to protect its back if i do get the smart cover for the ipad2...

anyway like the first ipad, we will be spoilt for choices.
evets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

... smart cover wouldnt replace full casing ! .. the back of the ipad is exposed to scratches and dirt. marketing gimmick.
not when u really want it to be Light. no matter what case u use, it will add on bit of weight to it.

I was using a case for the iPad but after awhile, i decide to take it out. I have a skin guard on the back of it. I wish they have something similar (iPad 2 case) for iPad 1.

if i own a ipad 2.. i will go for the magnetic case and again, put a skin guard at the back.

Errz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #11

Well. I m sure that magnets add on to the weights right. To me ipad is already light, dont think case will add much weight. Though the new case lks cool, i do agree tt the back portion is not protected. Do a rear portion guard is a nice idea.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

will the built-in magnet cause havoc to the digital compass?
Its gonna be a big hooha if that really happens
Old 15-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

what about curling the cover the other way, so the external surface is on the outside instead?

the magnets clinging onto the sides of the ipad seems to be curved, so probably juz need to reverse it, like below:

still smart, no?
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

innovative for sure... How good? Lets see
siron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #15

been using it past few days,

Pro- can use easily as a stand or tilt on table, easy reading. It is quiet stable. Close it, put the IPAD on standby. Easy for presentation to client. Light weight

Con- does not protect backside at all. Still need a cover at the back.

Overall, quite useful depend on how you see it.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.