iPad Air 2020 Discussions

iygnaug

Suspended
Reaction score
Anyone here in a dilemma like me? Been waiting to upgrade from my iPad 6th Gen 2018 and now stuck between waiting to get iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro 2020 with education promo. Not really sure which is more value for money.

At this kind of premium pricing for tablets, do not settle for anything that you will have regrets later on. Definitely iPad Pro. I will never use an iPAD without a case, so the colour options doesn't have any impact.

iPad Pro is more worth it

Agree.

iPad Pro 2020:
- More performance cores (4 vs 2)
- More RAM (6GB vs rumored 4GB)
- Significantly better GPU
- ProMotion 120Hz
- Twice the storage
- Better rear cameras
- Slightly bigger display
- Face ID
- LiDAR

iPad Air 2020:
- Cheaper
- More colors
- Better neural processor
- Touch ID

Using education pricing, after selling free airpods (assume $160), iPad Pro is 1129-160=969. iPad Air will be $809. $160 difference, you decide which is more worth it.

Alternatively you can consider refurb iPad Pro 2018 64GB at $819 when it is available

This is the best advice so far. Get a refurbish 2018 unit.

I just ordered a new 12.9 iPad Pro, it renders video faster than my 2015 macbook pro, and I prefer the larger screen estate for drawing purposes. Won't be bring it outdoors, given the current situation.

Reaction score
At this kind of premium pricing for tablets, do not settle for anything that you will have regrets later on. Definitely iPad Pro. I will never use an iPAD without a case, so the colour options doesn't have any impact.

Quite true. If going by normal pricing, iPad Air makes some sense, but with the education promotion the iPad Pro and iPad Air pricing becomes too close.

If we look at previous iPad Pro models, even the first gen runs well today and is still supported by Apple. That's 5 (and more) years of support. I wouldn't skimp on storage as storage needs are always growing - 128GB is a very sweet spot. And things like ProMotion 120Hz, although not a critical or essential feature, makes the device much nicer and enjoyable to use. No regrets with my iPad Pro purchase.

On the other hand, if you do not intend to use an iPad regularly, perhaps occasionally as an entertainment device, the 8th gen 32gb is good enough. Perhaps wait for the eventual price drop to 249 usd on Amazon and get one then.

Icterine

Reaction score
Just got a confirmation from an Apple staff that the iPad Air 4th Gen has 3GB Ram, the exact same module used for the iPad 8th Gen. :(

Guess I will be getting the iPad Pro 11".

iygnaug

Suspended
Reaction score
Just to share that shipping dates are quite bad now.

I ordered 4 items, and they will arrive in 4 separate shipment from Apple. Macbook Pro and iPad Pro will be only arriving in 3-4 weeks time.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I ordered 4 items, and they will arrive in 4 separate shipment from Apple. Macbook Pro and iPad Pro will be only arriving in 3-4 weeks time.

just do self collect. much faster. same day collection also possible.

bodohboy

Reaction score

What if I purchase the items at the Apple store? Any ways to check their stock?

Reaction score

Just check on the Apple store app from time to time to see if the stores have stock. Once in stock, order and select any time for self pickup. If you cannot attend the self pickup session they will let you collect anytime within 14 days of collection date. After which, just cancel your online order

Icterine

Reaction score
Able to purchase Ipad Pro 2020 via store now? Or usually will be OOS?
It's quite on high demand now as the new iPad Air price isn't very attractive. Stocks do run out fast in the day but from what I see, they manage to replenish the stock overnight, almost without fail.

PipBoy3000

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes really do hope it won't OOS but not sure if wait out for Ipad Air review before getting...

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will the 5nm chip and 60hz display mean better battery performance for the air?

Icterine

Reaction score
Will the 5nm chip and 60hz display mean better battery performance for the air?

Yeah definitely, as both iPads share the same 28.6Wh battery. The question is how much more energy efficient is the iPad Air compared to the 11" iPad Pro? Only with hands-on/benchmark tests, we will truly find out the battery/performance gap between the two. It's still too early to tell. iPad Air is expected to be launched after 12th October so you may need to wait a bit for hands-on in-depth comparisons.

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iPad Pro 2020:
- More performance cores (4 vs 2)
- More RAM (6GB vs rumored 4GB)
- Significantly better GPU
- ProMotion 120Hz
- Twice the storage
- Better rear cameras
- Slightly bigger display
- Face ID
- LiDAR

iPad Air 2020:
- Cheaper
- More colors
- Better neural processor
- Touch ID

Using education pricing, after selling free airpods (assume $160), iPad Pro is 1129-160=969. iPad Air will be $809. $160 difference, you decide which is more worth it.

Alternatively you can consider refurb iPad Pro 2018 64GB at $819 when it is available

Carousell people are throwing price for airpods, even at 150 it's stuck

Icterine

Reaction score
Carousell people are throwing price for airpods, even at 150 it's stuck

I don't think there's a demand for the older airpods, especially for the wired edition. Perhaps spend $140 extra for the AirPods Pro and sell for $280? For me I"ll keep it for myself as I never owned one yet.

Jxoppa

Reaction score
1 more thing to note is the new air comes with 20w charger as compared to 18w in the pro series

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.