HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

ipad does not charge from USB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #16

If you are a firm believer in the significance of "memory"effect" you would wait till the battery is almost fully discharged before ever charging it anywhere.

For me, battery poor performance has never been the reason why I changed any of my devices. So I trust that modern batteries are more robust and don't need to be pampered (right charger, recommended charger) like older versions. Besides, can always recalibrate.
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
Master Member

I think this is due to the power supply not enough on laptops
tjkb230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #18

my imac can charge ipad - but very slow

my panasonic laptop - cannot

SUPPLIED Wall charger is the fastest
SUPPLIED charger is not the fastest. Griffin PowerBlock charger is the fastest.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

RE

Hi!

Just to share. My iPad can be charged using my underpowered USB port from my SONY VAIO X vpcx128lg netbook and the ASUS Ai Charger software

Last edited by Apparatus; 11-07-2010 at 06:30 AM..
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #20

Hi!

Just to share. My iPad can be charged using my underpowered USB port from my SONY VAIO X vpcx128lg netbook and the ASUS Ai Charger software

Congrats bro.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #21

Also sharing that my MacBook pro not able to charge when using USB hub(with power adapter). But plugin in the MacBook pro USB is ok.
maxheadroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #22

what is USB hub(with power adapter)? u mean the usb cable?
Is your macbook old model(non unibody) or new model (unibody)?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #23

If you mean this, it might not work bcos it will draw down the power. you might have to use the special kind of usb hubs. Just type-in high power usb hub in google. But I won't guarantee that it will works.

cheers
Old 14-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #24

ipad charging

Ok everyone. I have done some serious research on the charging issues and also talked to a friend of mine who designed the ipad at Apple. Here is what I have gathered
- the ipad charges at 1A from the PC and 2A from the wall adapter. The iphone charges at 0.5A from the PC and 1A from the wall adapter. So yes while every cable and PC will probably charge, some do it faster than others

- I verified that a previous poster who said that NO CHARGING really means SLOW CHARGING. But it is damn slow. The reason it is so slow is because it is charging at 0.5A. if you dont mind overnightr charging then it is ok. This is a realy screw up. You also get this if you use an OLD iphone cable.

- I checked out the device (CSQUID) my friend at Starhub suggested and it is actually pretty cool. Does several of the above things combined in one package.
* Charges at a fast rate (?A) from ANY pc but I am not sure what the currents are
* Does charge and data for Apple devices and my portable harddrive and blackberry in one cable.
* Charges even when the PC is in standby which is a completely new feature not offered by regular cables. Now I dont need to leave my PC on overnight when I charge my devices.
My only compaint is that the pricing is a bit high at >S$30 but then I do get 3 cables (apple+micro+mini) in one so that is S$10 per cable and it is convenient. They claim that I save $110 in electricity by not leaving PC on and have calculations on their website (agreenc) but not sure if this is true.

Bottom line conclusion - if you dont mind the longer charge time and dont want to spend money just use any PC even when it says NOT CHARGING - i suspect it will charge! If I knew this before I would not have spent the $30 but then I got some added features so i dont mind!

thanks for all the feedback to my post
speedster2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #25

also talked to a friend of mine who designed the ipad at Apple
Wah so cool.
NineNineNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
Master Member

Wah so cool.
lol that's the one line I took notice of in his post =x

anyway nice for the heads up
BiG_FisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #27

SUPPLIED charger is not the fastest. Griffin PowerBlock charger is the fastest.
Griffin Powerblock for iPad would be the fastest. the normal version are for ipod, iphones still slower.

btw, ac adaptor powered usb will work!

i'm also trying from my belkin's and it works.

alvino77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #28

Ok everyone. I have done some serious research on the charging issues and also talked to a friend of mine who designed the ipad at Apple. Here is what I have gathered
- the ipad charges at 1A from the PC and 2A from the wall adapter. The iphone charges at 0.5A from the PC and 1A from the wall adapter. So yes while every cable and PC will probably charge, some do it faster than others

- I verified that a previous poster who said that NO CHARGING really means SLOW CHARGING. But it is damn slow. The reason it is so slow is because it is charging at 0.5A. if you dont mind overnightr charging then it is ok. This is a realy screw up. You also get this if you use an OLD iphone cable.

- I checked out the device (CSQUID) my friend at Starhub suggested and it is actually pretty cool. Does several of the above things combined in one package.
* Charges at a fast rate (?A) from ANY pc but I am not sure what the currents are
* Does charge and data for Apple devices and my portable harddrive and blackberry in one cable.
* Charges even when the PC is in standby which is a completely new feature not offered by regular cables. Now I dont need to leave my PC on overnight when I charge my devices.
My only compaint is that the pricing is a bit high at >S$30 but then I do get 3 cables (apple+micro+mini) in one so that is S$10 per cable and it is convenient. They claim that I save $110 in electricity by not leaving PC on and have calculations on their website (agreenc) but not sure if this is true.

Bottom line conclusion - if you dont mind the longer charge time and dont want to spend money just use any PC even when it says NOT CHARGING - i suspect it will charge! If I knew this before I would not have spent the $30 but then I got some added features so i dont mind!

thanks for all the feedback to my post

thx bro
very informative
ericwilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #29

Also sharing that my MacBook pro not able to charge when using USB hub(with power adapter). But plugin in the MacBook pro USB is ok.
i agree with this one
jinz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.