HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iPhone Xs Max as iPad Mini replacement? 2in1 solution - anyone tried?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

iPhone Xs Max as iPad Mini replacement? 2in1 solution - anyone tried?

I would just like to ask if anyone actually bought a iPhone Xs Max as iPad mini replacement at the same time?

I'm quite not sure if this is actually fix my issue with not having iPad and need a manga reader but not sure if Apple even launching new iPad mini in near future.

Currently own iPhone x right now using it as streamer + manga reader although streaming movies + reading text from browser like forums seems okay but feel short as manga viewer.

I wanted to try out iphone 6.5" solution compare to 7.9" of iPad mini but not sure if the comparison is too big difference.

And anyways if i push for this oversize phone quite not sure if 64gb is enough lol
rvyne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

I would just like to ask if anyone actually bought a iPhone Xs Max as iPad mini replacement at the same time?

I'm quite not sure if this is actually fix my issue with not having iPad and need a manga reader but not sure if Apple even launching new iPad mini in near future.

Currently own iPhone x right now using it as streamer + manga reader although streaming movies + reading text from browser like forums seems okay but feel short as manga viewer.

I wanted to try out iphone 6.5" solution compare to 7.9" of iPad mini but not sure if the comparison is too big difference.

And anyways if i push for this oversize phone quite not sure if 64gb is enough lol
How rich are you
Old 05-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

How rich are you
so anyone can afford iPhone already considered rich? planning to buy new and resell current phone la..since also need iPad (old my iPad pro few months ago so got some extra to buy for iPad)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

iPad mini is very outdated.
It has iPhone 6 chip so playing games will lag
My mini 4s sitting on my table for a long time and has not been used ever since I got my 10.5 Pro in May.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #5

My mini 4s sitting on my table for a long time and has not been used ever since I got my 10.5 Pro in May.

I'm still hoping for miracle actually if any this month.. but already looking for alternative like iphone xs max haha... I feel the iPad mini size is perfect if only if they can release 9" screen with a body of current iPad mini lol
Old 06-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm still hoping for miracle actually if any this month.. but already looking for alternative like iphone xs max haha... I feel the iPad mini size is perfect if only if they can release 9" screen with a body of current iPad mini lol
I strongly doubt the mini will be refreshed, more like discontinuing. But the Xs Max is a lot more expensive and screen still 1.4" smaller than the mini.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

I strongly doubt the mini will be refreshed, more like discontinuing. But the Xs Max is a lot more expensive and screen still 1.4" smaller than the mini.
ya this is actually more like is it an option? haha buying wise I'm still gonna wait if any apple event soon.. if they bring same X's feature on ipad for sure it will either screen get bigger or the size getting smaller
Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

I own the iPhone 7 and iPad mini 4.
Thought about the idea of replacing iPhone 7 with Max, also use it as a iPad mini 4 replacement.

But after trying the Max out, nope. The Max is too heavy and huge for me.
As a phone, the largest form factor I'd go with is the X/XS.

The Max screen size is also too small for me to read papers on, While the iPad Pros are not handy enough for me to read.

So I'd go for the iPhone XS for phone replacement, and keep the mini.

And yes, I think it'd be perfect if Apple updates the mini with a bezeless one. Having the same size, but bigger screen would be perfect.

I know there are iPhone Max/iPad Pro users here, but that's not ideal for my case use and preference.
chinnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
Master Member

Apple will not be releasing any new iPad Mini in the near future.

Moving ahead, only new iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" will be released and low cost iPad 9.7" will be continued.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

ya this is actually more like is it an option? haha buying wise I'm still gonna wait if any apple event soon.. if they bring same X's feature on ipad for sure it will either screen get bigger or the size getting smaller
I own the iPhone 7 and iPad mini 4.
Thought about the idea of replacing iPhone 7 with Max, also use it as a iPad mini 4 replacement.

But after trying the Max out, nope. The Max is too heavy and huge for me.
As a phone, the largest form factor I'd go with is the X/XS.

The Max screen size is also too small for me to read papers on, While the iPad Pros are not handy enough for me to read.

So I'd go for the iPhone XS for phone replacement, and keep the mini.

And yes, I think it'd be perfect if Apple updates the mini with a bezeless one. Having the same size, but bigger screen would be perfect.

I know there are iPhone Max/iPad Pro users here, but that's not ideal for my case use and preference.
I don't think the Xs Max will make a good replacement for the mini 4. An iPad and iPhone are different altogether and reading news wise, usually I'll use my iPad Pro 10.5. Even on my X it's also quite comfortable enough for reading news.

Though the mini 4's not very suitable for gaming now, but news reading is still fine.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

I agree that it is not a good replacement for the iPad Mini. Hardware wise, the XS Max is clearly a few notches above the dated iPad Mini 4. However, the screen size of the iPhone is nowhere near the 8 inch on the iPad Mini. And because of the massive notch aka Cyclops eye, the actual usable screen estate is smaller than 6 inch if I am not mistaken.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #12

I've dropby at Orchard yesterday just to check the size and I feel not comfortable holding that as massive cant easily use 1 hand.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

I've dropby at Orchard yesterday just to check the size and I feel not comfortable holding that as massive cant easily use 1 hand.
The Xs Max?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
Supremacy Member

The Xs Max?
i thought XS is same size as iPhone 8plus? So difficult to carry?
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

i thought XS is same size as iPhone 8plus? So difficult to carry?
Xs Max same size as 7/8 Plus, just that the screen is stretched edge-to-edge. My colleague has one and I fins no diff to carry from my 7 Plus.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.