HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Just Bought an IPAD 2...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #16

Not including apps/tweaks available only after JB, here are a few personal favorites that can be quite useful (depending on what you might be using your iPad for, though):

Stanza, iBooks - both free, both works very well with PDF & epubs, great for reading your ebooks, comics, novels and comics. Stanza also supports cbr and cbz directly (without renaming extension or manual extractions) for those who know what these file formats are for.

For similar reading purpose, paid app Comicglass & Goodreader, are also good readers that support a few different file formats. Goodreader is particularly good at supporting large file size PDF files (it is 1 of the earliest & most popular reader app). Comicglass works great with cbz & cbr with nifty features specifically for reading comic images: auto image splitting, left/right direction change, just to name a few.

Skype, meebo: both free official apps (ad-supported) that allow you to Skype, MSN, Yahoo chat. Good long-time IM alternatives to Facetime & iMessage.

PPTV - free, to stream & watch your favorite TV drama series.. :-) reliability a little off at times depending on traffic (I think), though.

Paid apps - AVPlayerHD or several other similar multimedia player apps - for avi video file playback with support for subtitle files. These apps work great in playing back DiVX encoded avi files with different feature sets of their own but most work pretty alright. No need to re-encode whatever videos you have just so that you can watch on the go (doing that is a pain).

paid app iWorks suite (from Apple, and can be pretty pricey), for your productivity app need. These are probably the only text, presentation & spreadsheet apps on iPad that work really well (not MS Office formats, though). Almost all other productivity apps that claim to support MS Office file formats very well are actually understandably exaggerating, with incompatibilities and unsupported features all over the place .

While games are played, completed and removed all the time, these 3 games are the only completed games on my device that are still played over & over from time to time:

If you are into racing game, paid app Real Racing 2 HD is going to impress you with its graphics.

If you are into action/puzzle game, paid app Plants VS Zombies HD is undoubtedly 1 of the most re-playable and enjoyable title.

If you are into Words games, ad-supported Words with Friends that allows you to play Scrabble online with your friends is fun.

Many other game titles are quite hit-&-miss that you have to check out on your own more carefully.

Apple's own Find My iPhone app just for the sake of completeness. Apple's own free Remote app is also a pretty handy app, if you use iTunes as your media player on your PC/Mac.

There are also a few additional must-have free/paid apps recommendations if you jailbreak - SBsettings, Activator, iFile.

Hi Guys, Juz got my ipad2 yesterday from Singtel(4.3.5).. Anyone can intro any apps or any other "MUST HAVE" thingy ?? Sorry.. quite noob in this..

Have been reading up few pages but still I dun think is enough...

Many thanks and appreciated..

Last edited by kerrying; 02-11-2011 at 03:45 PM..
kerrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
Master Member

Not including apps/tweaks available only after JB, here are a few personal favorites that can be quite useful (depending on what you might be using your iPad for, though):

Stanza, iBooks - both free, both works very well with PDF & epubs, great for reading your ebooks, comics, novels and comics. Stanza also supports cbr and cbz directly (without renaming extension or manual extractions) for those who know what these file formats are for.

For similar reading purpose, paid app Comicglass & Goodreader, are also good readers that support a few different file formats. Goodreader is particularly good at supporting large file size PDF files (it is 1 of the earliest & most popular reader app). Comicglass works great with cbz & cbr with nifty features specifically for reading comic images: auto image splitting, left/right direction change, just to name a few.

Skype, meebo: both free official apps (ad-supported) that allow you to Skype, MSN, Yahoo chat. Good long-time IM alternatives to Facetime & iMessage.

PPTV - free, to stream & watch your favorite TV drama series.. :-) reliability a little off at times depending on traffic (I think), though.

Paid apps - AVPlayerHD or several other similar multimedia player apps - for avi video file playback with support for subtitle files. These apps work great in playing back DiVX encoded avi files with different feature sets of their own but most work pretty alright. No need to re-encode whatever videos you have just so that you can watch on the go (doing that is a pain).

paid app iWorks suite (from Apple, and can be pretty pricey), for your productivity app need. These are probably the only text, presentation & spreadsheet apps on iPad that work really well (not MS Office formats, though). Almost all other productivity apps that claim to support MS Office file formats very well are actually understandably exaggerating, with incompatibilities and unsupported features all over the place .

While games are played, completed and removed all the time, these 3 games are the only completed games on my device that are still played over & over from time to time:

If you are into racing game, paid app Real Racing 2 HD is going to impress you with its graphics.

If you are into action/puzzle game, paid app Plants VS Zombies HD is undoubtedly 1 of the most re-playable and enjoyable title.

If you are into Words games, ad-supported Words with Friends that allows you to play Scrabble online with your friends is fun.

Many other game titles are quite hit-&-miss that you have to check out on your own more carefully.

Apple's own Find My iPhone app just for the sake of completeness. Apple's own free Remote app is also a pretty handy app, if you use iTunes as your media player on your PC/Mac.

There are also a few additional must-have free/paid apps recommendations if you jailbreak - SBsettings, Activator, iFile.
Wow, thanks for your contribution bro..

But how about browser ?? I have read thru and found different ppl recommend different browsers like Atomic, Skyfire, Puffin etc...

May I know which are more worth to buy ? Sorry, dun intend to JB my ipad anytime soon..
Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
Master Member

best thing u need, a download app, google for movie links, then start watching movies on it. if u want to link to tv, just buy a iPad link tv cable. No need JB. If u watch chinese drama, just download chinese movie app, got some in the app store. u browse through sure find some interesting app.
aileen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #19

I recommend Atomic Web Browser. One of the best, if not, the best. Go find out more from the descriptions and highlights and users comments/reviews from the app store. You can try out the lite version before buying.
ak_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Master Member

I recommend Atomic Web Browser. One of the best, if not, the best. Go find out more from the descriptions and highlights and users comments/reviews from the app store. You can try out the lite version before buying.
Many thanks ! Have purchased the app..
Old 03-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #21

If i buy refurbished set ipad 2 from apple, will the ipad serial number tally with the box serial number?
Nelsonlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.