HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

For people who didn't manage to get an iPad..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

For people who didn't manage to get an iPad..

People who didn't manage to get an iPad due to out-of-stock, don't worry....

Apple placed itself higher priority than 3rd-party resellers
Business-wise this is very natural. Common sense. Why benefit others over yourself!? Personally, I can related. During launch of iPod Nano 3, 30mins after "watching" S.Jobs intro the device over liveblog, I went to store.apple.com/sg to order. I received it 4 days later. Local shops, like Epicenter get their stocks some 3 weeks later.

So, what happened 23 Jul store.apple.com/sg not selling iPad?
Simple. Buying iPad (or anything else) from store.apple.com/sg is super efficient and not make a noise. No one other than you know about it. This is bad for launch. So what happened is Apple decided to push all of its limited initial batch of iPad to the resellers. Doing this will make the purchase inefficient & physical, but will make a lot of noise to the media.

Then. What will happen next?
Things will go back to normal, business as usual. store.apple.com/sg will carry the iPad. Remember iPad is treated as a normal computing device, like MBP, iMac, etc, which has nothing to do with the telcos, unlike the iPhone. So iPad has absolutely no reason not to appear in store.apple.com/sg.

When will this happen?
No idea. I've no insider info. Considering apple stocks come on a weekly basis, maybe next week? Maybe the week following?

One more thing....
When out-of-stock, when users ask the resellers when will stocks come in, the answers from range from 2 to 4 weeks. Is this a clue that apple will koup the next batch?
  • 1st batch: resellers
  • one-week-later batch: apple
  • another-week-later batch: apple+40% resellers
  • another-week-later batch: apple+remaining 60% of resellers
ivanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

This is quite true, Apple wants the lines & noise about the iPad to increase sales. But still fact remains in US that stock is not as fluid as it could be.
lacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Good discussion.

But can you guess why shop like funzsquare got sell Ipad on the 1st day? I don't think they are reseller at all and the price have not mark up a cent.

http://www.funzsquare.com/ipad-hardware-c-178_180.html

So how many stocks in SG anyway? Maybe we are only "limited" by the local reseller to get the Ipad. Maybe many local sets are already off-shore now. Who knows...
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.