HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

REVIEW: iPad (Apple) Keyboard Dock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

REVIEW: iPad (Apple) Keyboard Dock

I just bought myself a keyboard dock. While I have started using an iPad since it was launched in the US, I was skeptical about keyboard dock and opted using my existing Apple wireless keyboard (for Macs) and Original case to make it stand. Now, things are quite different. Here's my thoughts.

The keyboard is no different than the normal Apple Wireless Keyboard that has been around for sometime. It is slimmer as there is no battery needed thus, it does away with the silider cybe that houses 2x AA (newer model) or 3x AA (Older model). It does add some weight but nothing to be unbearable if I carry it in a small laptop bag. iPad is about 700+ grams, and even with keyboard it is lighter than a laptop / netbook.

Apart from no battery case, the first row has different shortcuts than the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It is tuned for iOS specific function eg. Lock, Zoom, Picture Frame, etc.

Another advantage from combination of wireless keyboard and dock is that the attached keyboar dock has different angle (lower) thus viewing wise it's better.

Conclusion: Nothings beats the keyboard when typing a short to long email or post like this one. As if it's better to have wireless keyboard with dock or attached keyboard dock, it boils down to different people's preferences. I won't be travelling with keyboard a lot, so I'll just buy the keyboard dock and use this at home or hotel when travelling but a wireless keyboard would be handy when travelling light and some work is needed.

Price: S$ 98 at Apple resellers.

PS: Typed entirely using iPad 3G on a Starbuck coffee and keyboard dock.

Last edited by Leonard_Ong; 25-07-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Leonard_Ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Thumbs up

Great review for those deciding between which keyboard to get.
Tucksoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #3

thanks for the quick review. some pictures will make this even better!
alvino77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Master Member

how much did you pay for it?
Helbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

siao liao. kanna poison-ed again. where is available
TioScapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Master Member

That means ur iPad is not using a case...
Old 25-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #7

The iPad cannot be using in landscape mode with the dock. The wireless keyboard is still more versatile.
crazypaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #8

The iPad cannot be using in landscape mode with the dock. The wireless keyboard is still more versatile.
As said, this is true but not always true. The Bluetooth connection takes more steps to work and consume more power both on the keyboard (battery) and the Bluetooth connection from iPad itself. There is cons and pro on either model.

I find myself typing in portraits for safari...
Old 25-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

That means ur iPad is not using a case...
True, this was inhibiting factor for me. After a while, I just learn to take it off from the case if I need to use the keyboard. Some in internet cut a portion of their case just to allow it to be docked without removing the case.
Old 25-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #10

It seems a lot of compromises were made just using the keyboard dock (taking the casing off, no landscape support etc). I personally find using portrait mode not so good as my iMac and MacBook and company PC monitors were all in landscape mode.
crazypaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.