Video players on ipad

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting my ipad with retina tomorrow, and my main usage would be to play HD videos on it (mostly .mkv format).

I'd just like to ask what players do you guys use to play mkv files on the ipad without any converting of the file format? I heard AVPlayer HD is pretty good. It would be good to have some alternatives too. :)

violentv

Reaction score
I suggest you go through this guys' threads
http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=582245

He has stress tested most of the popular video players with different formats etc.

The general consensus is that AV player, Nplayer and HD player pro are the best video players. AV player is also one of the only video players in the app store to support ac3 audio after the Dolby fiasco last year.

I am not sure if you are going to be watching animes on your ipad, but the newer animes are 10 bit encoded by fansub groups and these 3 video players are the only one which can play 720p 10 bit videos smoothly(Oplayer totally fails at this and Gplayer stutters). HD Player Pro is also the ONLY video player in the appstore that renders the advanced features of SSA/ASS subtitles ... so you will get to see the pretty stylized fonts/colors/text positions as intended by the fansubbers.

For video streaming..I think all of these apps support FTP streaming...no samba streaming though. You have to use XBMC (requires jailbreak) for that.

I myself am using Nplayer because I really like the gesture based controls.

Last edited:

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
I suggest you go through this guys' threads
MacRumors Forums

He has stress tested most of the popular video players with different formats etc.

The general consensus is that AV player, Nplayer and HD player pro are the best video players. AV player is also one of the only video players in the app store to support ac3 audio after the Dolby fiasco last year.

I am not sure if you are going to be watching animes on your ipad, but the newer animes are 10 bit encoded by fansub groups and these 3 video players are the only one which can play 720p 10 bit videos smoothly(Oplayer totally fails at this and Gplayer stutters). HD Player Pro is also the ONLY video player in the appstore that renders the advanced features of SSA/ASS subtitles ... so you will get to see the pretty stylized fonts/colors/text positions as intended by the fansubbers.

For video streaming..I think all of these apps support FTP streaming...no samba streaming though. You have to use XBMC (requires jailbreak) for that.

I myself am using Nplayer because I really like the gesture based controls.

Thanks for your valuable inputs, will def check them out. I mostly play full 720p/full 1080p mkv files, mainly movies and TV shows so I think the 3 players you suggested will suit my needs. I've went ahead and bought AVPlayer HD. Works great, but sadly it doesn't support DTS. I'm not a heavy anime watcher, but I do foresee downloading some good ones to watch on my ipad. :)

DXMachina

Banned
Reaction score
Are there any players on the app store currently that can support DTS audio format? I know AV Player HD is the only one that supports Dolby Digital (AC3) at the moment, but how about DTS?

violentv

Reaction score
Are there any players on the app store currently that can support DTS audio format? I know AV Player HD is the only one that supports Dolby Digital (AC3) at the moment, but how about DTS?

eh you are right about AV player not playing DTS audio. I just tested Nplayer with a sample video with DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio (obtained from here 2D High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World) and it seems to play it fine.

Last edited:

violentv

Reaction score
any good ones to watch korean dramas with subtitles?

AVplayer HD and Nplayer will definitely meet your needs..but if you are not playing any device taxing/uncommonly encoded videos, you should definitely try out a few of the decent and free video players in the appstore 1st.

Moliplayer
imedia player
rockplayer2
Gplayer lite

the last 2 video players have in app purchases to remove ads if that bothers you.

The version of gplayer without ads goes free from time to time too..so you might want to put it on your wishlist and monitor its price. Gplayer also supports external subtitles better than some of the top video players like AVplayer...but it has a tendency to delete your entire video library. >.> I can't figure out what triggers it but it has happened to me twice already.

EDIT: My bad..it seems that Gplayer lite has been removed from the Appstore quite a while ago
http://appshopper.com/entertainment/gplayer-lite

Last edited:

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tried to transfer 21 videos in a folder in AVplayer HD using ifunbox, i tried to open the folder in avaplyer hd the whole thing froze. then when i tried to transfer the same 21 videos in avplayer hd using itunes the app does not froze. strange.

sanjeevrana

Reaction score
AV Player HD ... they just updated to use Dolby Mobile as well ;)

(Btw ... great way to resurrect a 8-month old thread :p )

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.