Apple S$38 battery replacement now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because it's the same as asking would you prefer to have a broken left leg or right leg. The answer is I'd prefer not to have any legs broken, then you ask the same again. :s22:

Sure you can have this answer, you weren’t clear at least to me. Apologies for that.

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
Hey SiaoAngMoh. Actually cycle count for iPhone/iPad batteries can be reset easily. Thus, while cycle count is a good initial indicator, the only other way would be to see the design cap vs actual cap to determine if the life of the battery has deteriorated.
Good point, and that information is also available from Coconut battery. Thanks for clarifying.

yihern

Reaction score
it's not at software level?

Definitely not. Firmware maybe. But even if it is at firmware level, I doubt Apple will give the local authorised service centers the capability to reset. They don't even give them the "Touch ID - motherboard" pairing machine!

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
Definitely not. Firmware maybe. But even if it is at firmware level, I doubt Apple will give the local authorised service centers the capability to reset. ....

This. Especially given the safety risk with the batteries ... if they alter the capacity of the battery to make it look like new ... it would result in it being overcharged in the phone.

yihern

Reaction score
This. Especially given the safety risk with the batteries ... if they alter the capacity of the battery to make it look like new ... it would result in it being overcharged in the phone.

Yes. The ramifications of giving such "power" to people whom might not be as "responsible" would be quite disastrous.

Also. If you look at the fields that Coconut gives you,
Cycle Count = rewritable cos it needs to update each time
Design Cap = fixed according to battery model
Actual Cap = Read live from the battery status
Battery Life = Actual Cap / Design Cap * 100%

Voltage = Read live
Current Draw = Read live
Serial Number = fixed according to the battery unit

Only one thing makes sense to be a re-writeable field. And that's why CC can also be easily 'hacked'. The rest don't make sense to be re-writeable and hence I feel to "make it software editable" would require them to run the production line to produce a whole new batch of batteries...

yihern

Reaction score
Actually why do you guys feel like the throttling is an issue? I mean. Surely you know why Apple chose to do it because they explained the reasons, so knowing that, why do you guys still feel that Apple is wrong in throttling the phones? Or at least, why do you feel that the benefits of "being throttled" do not outweigh the disadvantages? Just want to hear from you all.

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ermmm just for your info. None of my friends around me use iPhone except me .just for your info. Android don’t roll out update so frequent and normal android phone don’t get to update to latest version. Only selected phone gets to updated . And most android user don’t update their phone to latest version even if they are eligible .

Proven by all my android phone user. Without updating their OS. Their phone performance go weaker and phone get slower after 6 months to 1 year of use. Play intensive game like mobile legend on them is a luxury to them using a 1 or 2 year phone.

You can chose not to believe .

why not? paying an expensive phone, i expect it works and perform the same as it since the day i purchase the phone.

not by telling me after a year i have to pay $100+ for a new battery just because the "battery is spent".

Anyway i don't care about Apple wad they do. they can "scam" apple fanboys for all i care.

Been switching from iOS to Android back and forth. Still find that Android ecosystem is better than iOS. Although yes, they may not be the fastest phone, but to me, features and technology for mobile OS is my main priority.

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any for those serious got trust issue. Please sell your iPhone and get a android phone since there is no throating and cheap and so good.

Apple is not forcing you in any way. U are free to make decisions and pay for something you like.
Living in a “if” in everything is very tiring .
If my mom really my mom?
Fk it

yihern

Reaction score
why not? paying an expensive phone, i expect it works and perform the same as it since the day i purchase the phone.

not by telling me after a year i have to pay $100+ for a new battery just because the "battery is spent".

Anyway i don't care about Apple wad they do. they can "scam" apple fanboys for all i care.

Been switching from iOS to Android back and forth. Still find that Android ecosystem is better than iOS. Although yes, they may not be the fastest phone, but to me, features and technology for mobile OS is my main priority.

would you apply the same logic of buying an expensive phone, to that of buying an expensive car? like say a porsche or a BMW?

chenaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U can chose not to spend that 100$

U clearly made a choice . Why are u still here whining about new or old battery replaced by Apple?

Android is for you. Rich is feature and customise till you happy

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
Actually why do you guys feel like the throttling is an issue? I mean. Surely you know why Apple chose to do it because they explained the reasons, so knowing that, why do you guys still feel that Apple is wrong in throttling the phones? Or at least, why do you feel that the benefits of "being throttled" do not outweigh the disadvantages? Just want to hear from you all.

Already answered in this thread by multiple ppl.

yihern

Reaction score
Already answered in this thread by multiple ppl.

I kinda read thru the thread. And I feel that the general consensus is that Apple is slowing down the phones. And it's true. Apple is doing something that results in the phone slowing down. But how is that necessarily a bad thing?

In 2014, I had a 4S upgraded to iOS 8. It was the most horrific experience ever. Everything was slow that it was practically unusable from a user experience perspective. That's why I bought the iPhone 6.

Fast forward to today. I have the iPhone 6 running iOS 11. Same number of years in between. Yes it's slower than the iPhone X running iOS 11, or else what is Apple selling year upon year right? But I don't have a problem running the operating system, using the phone for everything a phone should do, and then some?

If not for the "throttling", would the iPhone 6 running an OS released three years later result in a better user experience overall, than the iPhone 4S then running an OS released three years later?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I kinda read thru the thread. And I feel that the general consensus is that Apple is slowing down the phones. And it's true. Apple is doing something that results in the phone slowing down. But how is that necessarily a bad thing?

In 2014, I had a 4S upgraded to iOS 8. It was the most horrific experience ever. Everything was slow that it was practically unusable from a user experience perspective. That's why I bought the iPhone 6.

Fast forward to today. I have the iPhone 6 running iOS 11. Same number of years in between. Yes it's slower than the iPhone X running iOS 11, or else what is Apple selling year upon year right? But I don't have a problem running the operating system, using the phone for everything a phone should do, and then some?

If not for the "throttling", would the iPhone 6 running an OS released three years later result in a better user experience overall, than the iPhone 4S then running an OS released three years later?
Well this is just my opinion, the fact that people are avoiding the question of "will they trade no reduction in price of battery replacement for no throttling?" by either digressing or not giving a straight answer says a lot, tbh.

Buddha_E

Reaction score
As far as I concern, paid the $38 and can use the phone for another 2 years. Or live with it and see it become lag like s.h.i.t.

I am not worry Apple exchange an old battery or refurbish battery with mine because at the end of day, if Apple did that, then it will be another class action firestorm and most likely lose tons of customers.

Iphone 5 is not supported by the new IOS now and am not surprise in 2 years time, my Iphone 6S will be obsolete by then. Squeeze another 2 years from my Iphone is totally f. fine with me.

Last edited:

frizee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Super duper Laggy is due to battery issue? For mine I need to change because I need to charge 2x each day and the batt run out v fast. Why did u get a replacement batt?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT

My batts show healthy so im guessing it's probably due to OS leh, am i am thinking what it'll get better after changing battery... :s11:

Wait, means next year $118 again? :spin:

Haha i didnt ask about that since we have the whole of 2018.

Last edited:

frizee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, those who've gotten their batt replacement, is your system still sluggish as before? :s11:
Im thinking if i should change it now as it's laggy but diagnostic is showing healthy leh..

PumpkinX

Reaction score
Guys I went to QCD in tradehub21 yesterday for my aging iPhone SEto see if I can get the battery replaced. Third party software I use tells me that the max capacity is at 70% around 1300/1600 mah. Sometimes when I use the phone the battery percentage drops by as much as 5% at one go. I also notice the battery charge level drops fast even if I leave it on airplane mode and not using whole day.

Thought that’s enough to get a battery replacement? The lady at QCD did a standard Apple battery diagnostic and told me the battery reports good health. She brought it to a technician and he blames it on the public beta 11.2.5 I had installed on it. I asked her what if I want to pay to replace the battery anyway and she said they would not entertain replacement unless the diagnostic tools report a bad battery. As far as they are concerned if the official Apple tools clears your battery your phone is working at optimal condition.

I don’t know if Apple store does the same but if they do I guess it’s not easy to just get a new battery for $38. Btw I read that Apple down clock phone not because of charge capacity but the ability of the battery to supply power at the correct voltage and amperage.

PumpkinX

Reaction score
Guys I went to QCD in tradehub21 yesterday for my aging iPhone SEto see if I can get the battery replaced. Third party software I use tells me that the max capacity is at 70% around 1300/1600 mah. Sometimes when I use the phone the battery percentage drops by as much as 5% at one go. I also notice the battery charge level drops fast even if I leave it on airplane mode and not using whole day.

Thought that’s enough to get a battery replacement? The lady at QCD did a standard Apple battery diagnostic and told me the battery reports good health. She brought it to a technician and he blames it on the public beta 11.2.5 I had installed on it. I asked her what if I want to pay to replace the battery anyway and she said they would not entertain replacement unless the diagnostic tools report a bad battery. As far as they are concerned if the official Apple tools clears your battery your phone is working at optimal condition.

I don’t know if Apple store does the same but if they do I guess it’s not easy to just get a new battery for $38. Btw I read that Apple down clock phone not because of charge capacity but the ability of the battery to supply power at the correct voltage and amperage.

Ops just after posting I found this:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/your-old-iphone-battery-can-be-replaced-even-if-it-passes-genius-bar-test/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.