AppleCare+ vs 1 year limited warranty for iPhone XS

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jaymessofly
  • 1 Post By derkaiser94
  • 1 Post By Zaalaa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

AppleCare+ vs 1 year limited warranty for iPhone XS

If I don't buy AppleCare+ for the iPhone XS and if within a year, I need a screen replacement, is the repair cost still $42, and other damages $148?

Only after the 1st year, it becomes $418/$818?

So the benefit of AppleCare+ vs no AppleCare+ is basically just the extended year, and the express replacement (which is not available under limited 1 year warranty)?

Coming from a iPhone 7 now. Is calculating the cost/"risk factor" of not buying AppleCare+ this time as it's a lot more ex than iPhone 7.

Thanks!
chinnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Without AppleCare+, repair costs will be $418/$818 even within the one year warranty period.

Only with AppleCare+ do you get to enjoy $42/$148 repairs throughout a 2-year period.

The screen repair at $42 is only limited to two repairs within the 2 year period if I remember correctly.
chinnian likes this.
jaymessofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #3

Without AppleCare+, repair costs will be $418/$818 even within the one year warranty period.

Only with AppleCare+ do you get to enjoy $42/$148 repairs throughout a 2-year period.

The screen repair at $42 is only limited to two repairs within the 2 year period if I remember correctly.
It's essentially an insurance. Basically if you are someone who is careful with your personal items you are better off self-insuring.
chinnian likes this.
derkaiser94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Just get a good case and a Good TG u r safe unkeee if u r a abuse phone user or want to use more then 2yrs then go for it
kenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Master Member

Dropped my X a few times from waist height. No cracks. No damage.

With casing in place.
bendwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Greater Supremacy Member

I dropped and crack my iPhone X screen, but didnít have time to send for screen replacement, and the crack become wider and longer after a few weeks. The damage is so bad until they cannot repair the screen except to replace it

End up paid $800+ for a replacement
Sinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #7

I dropped and crack my iPhone X screen, but didnít have time to send for screen replacement, and the crack become wider and longer after a few weeks. The damage is so bad until they cannot repair the screen except to replace it

End up paid $800+ for a replacement
So expensive? Even for Apple care?
Old 16-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Greater Supremacy Member

I didn't buy AppleCare for my iphone x, just sharing
Sinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

If I don't buy AppleCare+ for the iPhone XS and if within a year, I need a screen replacement, is the repair cost still $42, and other damages $148?

Only after the 1st year, it becomes $418/$818?

So the benefit of AppleCare+ vs no AppleCare+ is basically just the extended year, and the express replacement (which is not available under limited 1 year warranty)?

Coming from a iPhone 7 now. Is calculating the cost/"risk factor" of not buying AppleCare+ this time as it's a lot more ex than iPhone 7.

Thanks!
Wrong, if you don't buy AppleCare+, your screen replacement from accidental damage will cost $418 even within the first year. The cost of $42/148 will apply if you're covered under AppleCare+'s 2 x accidental damage within the AppleCare+ coverage (2 years).

If your screen or phone happen to become faulty within 1 year without any drop or obvious damage, it's free to get it repaired under warranty..
Conan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Apple care is very reasonable. Most people buy it, except those low SES.
stillgottheblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

What you talking bro? High SES donít need AppleCare at all..

We just buy a few iPhone to standby... donít throw our face bro.
lostboyz likes this.
Zaalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #12

All my Apple products I never buy Apple care, until today all my iPhones/iPads/Apple Watch which exceeds 2 years still in good working condition.
Old 18-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #13

All my Apple products I never buy Apple care, until today all my iPhones/iPads/Apple Watch which exceeds 2 years still in good working condition.
I guess it depends on the user and how they protect their items (shock proof case etc).

My wife had applecare on her iphone 6 but accidentally cracked her screen 3 times. We replaced via applecare and the final time, just decided to throw/sell the phone away and get an iphone 7 instead. She now has a spigen shock proof case for the iphone 7.

I've had an iphone 5, 5s, 6 and 7. Didn't get any issues on the first 3 and so didn't bother with applecare, but my 7 dropped to the ground from my car accidentally by a family member. Gave a crack on the the top right of the screen, with glass bits dropping out. This was with a leather case on the phone. The screen still works though it can be unsightly. If I had applecare, I could have replaced the damage for $42. But instead, I've just lived with the crack for the past year.

I guess for a person that might like to keep their iphones naked (no case), it might be more prudent to have applecare. Especially in Singapore where floors tend to be tiles/cement instead of wood or carpets.
flikmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.