HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bought iPhone X from WhyMobile but Screen is 3rd Party

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Bought iPhone X from WhyMobile but Screen is 3rd Party

hey guys, I bought a used iPhone X from a shop WhyMobile at far east plaza on Monday. since then i noticed some parts of the keyboard don't register my touch so i went to Apple Store today for visit.

they opened up the phone and told me the screen is not original/3rd party. not sure why the shop will sell me that without telling me.

i have the receipt still. will WhyMobile give me a refund/exchange?

sigh, so scary to buy things from these shops.. i thought far east plaza shops are all reputable.

thanks in advance.
Old 22-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

You bought a used iphone X. So the first owner might have swap it out and sell it to whymobile. I do not think they will know, unless they open up, which no shops will do that.

Most people here (like me) only go to these shops to buy brand new sets (sets that people signed fr telco and sell to them) but not used (2nd hand) sets.

Hello, Are you Captain Obvious?
ragnarok95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Don’t you think that people like you enable these shops to sell whatever they want and just claim “don’t know”?

Just because you were never scammed before doesn’t mean it will never happen to you.
Old 22-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #4

Don’t you think that people like you enable these shops to sell whatever they want and just claim “don’t know”?

Just because you were never scammed before doesn’t mean it will never happen to you.
Caveat emptor.

There will always be bad eggs trying to game the system; it is your due diligence to consider the risks involved in buying second-hand phones.

That being said, I doubt WhyMobile will give you an exchange/refund since they won't be able to sell off your set to someone else... unless you want that someone else to go through the exact same situation as you (why was I scammed?!)

You can always try approaching WhyMobile though.
Kvicez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #5

You might be able to get a refund or repair through the lemon law, depending on when you purchased the device. This might require filing a case with small claim tribunal but I heard the process is pretty easy and can be done online.
cheekibreeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

but how to prove that the screen was from whymobile and not user changed after purchase?
iduncheckmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

I feel so blessed. I went to the shop and explained the situation nicely along with the receipt.

The sales lady was very kind to give me a full refund. From now on, when buying iPhone please check the Display settings to ensure True Tone is there. If no True Tone it means the screen is 3rd party.

Thumbs up to WhyMobile for their honest business model
ooolong, Snoweagle and ashhong like this.
Old 22-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #8

I didn't say they claim they do not know. I just said they might not have know the display have been swapped.

And yes, i was scammed before while buying phone in some other shops. That's why i only insist in getting first hand one from them.

Last edited by ragnarok95; 22-05-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Old 22-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

does it work normally?
helloamberchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

I didn't say they claim they do not know. I just said they might not have know the display have been swapped.

And yes, i was scammed before while buying phone in some other shops. That's why i only insist in getting first hand one from them.
that's fair enough but i also feel that in this case the shop (expert in mobile phones) should have screened phones they buy in for 2nd hand use and reject those that are suspicious i.e. no True Tone, etc etc.
Old 22-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

does it work normally?
yes but i'm not willing to pay the price that I paid for an iPhone X with a fake screen that has no True Tone
Old 22-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

Well the only shop I will trust in buying is from RedWhiteMobile lol.
metamofia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Well the only shop I will trust in buying is from RedWhiteMobile lol.
good thing with RWM is that they have a lot of the same phones for 2nd hand sale so you can compare etc they really don't mind.

the worst I came across was MobyShop. the guy literally scolded me for wanting to check the phone and said "only if you are confirmed buying then i let you check" like uh every shop is known to say their used phone is 10/10 condition when it actually isn't so what's wrong with checking
Old 22-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #14

All my recent iPhone purchase are from RWM. I got no issue with them. They ask me check on the spot until I am happy then leave.

Old 22-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
Banned

How you know no True Tone is fake?
Maybe got 3rd party screen using True Tone. Anything is possible.

That’s why I never buy 2nd hand phone. The only 2nd hand phone I bought was iPhone 3G and the first generation Galaxy S
Glariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.