HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Busted iPhone 7

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Busted iPhone 7

Question for the pros here:

Wife's iphone 7 (128GB) went into a boot loop few days ago.. found it looping when she woke up (it was plugged into the charger). I tried doing a hard reset a few times, then it suddenly worked fine again so I asked her to do an iTunes backup.

That same night around 2am (I slept late), I noticed it suddenly went into the boot loop again. Did hard reset and turned it off (couldn't get it to work). Next morning plug into iTunes then suddenly it worked again.

So brought the phone to Apple Store for a diagnostic.. while there, it happened so the Apple guy could see it for himself. He tried to do a total software restore but even that couldn't work as the phone would restart itself mid way and give some error (402 or something).

He checked the phone and saw a small dent on the back face (towards the bottom of the phone) and said likely motherboard damage from dropping. Cannot do anything as it's 49 days out of warranty. Quoted almost $500 for board replacement.

Decided to buy a new phone so she got a new phone, and brought the spoiled phone to a mobile shop. The person said that this error was common for iPhone 7 after impact and would try to repair for $90. If that doesn't work, then the shop could take the phone for $200 as they can still use for parts. Called today to say the fix didn't work but they would take another day to try and change another component. Nothing to lose since the phone is a write off anyway...

Question - what's the ballpark for a 3rd party iPhone7 motherboard replacement? Is the phone really worth $200 even if it's in this condition?
Gymrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.