HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Data roaming and cellular data off, but still charged with data roaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #31

I switch off data roaming at phone level and at telco level to be double triple quadruple safe.
manofsorrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #32

If using SingTel will not have this prob. SingTel app can turn off data roaming totally, even u dun turn off data roaming u will never get data roaming charge.
hereiam7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #33

This just happened to me and I called M1 abt it.
They were willing to waive off.

However I complained why only M1 users have this and they should do something about it.

But the stupjd CSO insist all telcos have this problem. I told him my family and friend wih singtel and starhub never encounter this problem.

He challenged me to google this problem so I found this thread.

Is it true other telcos also have this?
ryanlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #34
Supremacy Member

Starhub confirm got issue. My 70 year old mum also can use 10gb of data per month. Talk cock. Out of 1 year, 10 months no problem and 2 months data use like crazy. Of course they insist their system got no problem one.
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

If the operator said it is an problem with iPhone 7 Plus, go and tell the operator to give you a written proof of it. then threaten the operator that you will forward the written proof to Apple and that you will sue Apple for that.

the thing is that it shouldn't be the phone problem otherwise there will be tons of complains especially for iPhone.
Between local telco and Apple, please put ur belief into Apple. Share with you one real case. One time Singtel charged me overseas roaming. I called in to explained to the CSO. The person insist I have crossed the border to Malaysia. In the end, I proved to them with my immigration records. They talk as if I can swim across the sea like a fish or the Singapore and Malaysia custom officers are sleeping.

Really knn. If you are wrong, just admit and move on. Super TL some clowns insist they are right and keep arguing with you. Lucky got Singapore immigration record (super reliable). Imagine they argue with you about data usage. Ownself record, ownself bill. How to safeguard consumer? If everyone audit them, I quite sure u see some wrong billing
Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #36

Previously use M1 also kena this many times, need to use the M1 app to turn data roaming off. Now with Singtel got no such issue. I would say mainly M1 users will have SUCK problem.
yotoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #37

If the local telco signal is weaker than foreign telco, by inherent design, it will switch to the stronger signal

Last time signal at my workplace is quite poor. Like 0-1 bar. Then intermittently it will switch to Indonesia / Malaysia signal depending on where I am

Between local telco and Apple, please put ur belief into Apple. Share with you one real case. One time Singtel charged me overseas roaming. I called in to explained to the CSO. The person insist I have crossed the border to Malaysia. In the end, I proved to them with my immigration records. They talk as if I can swim across the sea like a fish or the Singapore and Malaysia custom officers are sleeping.

Really knn. If you are wrong, just admit and move on. Super TL some clowns insist they are right and keep arguing with you. Lucky got Singapore immigration record (super reliable). Imagine they argue with you about data usage. Ownself record, ownself bill. How to safeguard consumer? If everyone audit them, I quite sure u see some wrong billing
Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #38
Supremacy Member

If the local telco signal is weaker than foreign telco, by inherent design, it will switch to the stronger signal

Last time signal at my workplace is quite poor. Like 0-1 bar. Then intermittently it will switch to Indonesia / Malaysia signal depending on where I am
Then how is it our fault? Singapore talk about smart nation etc. And Indonesia, Malaysia signal stronger than ours? Means their user no need to pay autoroam when they come to SG. Malaysia I understand as Johor next to us. Indonesia quite far away lei
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #39
Master Member

Im using m1. Happen to me before.
Reason from cso is that the connection will sent a small data packet for 4G or 4G voice even tho you turn off data or data roaming on your phone (iphone).

Few dollars here and there over the weeks on holiday.

In the end, waived, lecture me and told me they will disable data roaming just to be safe.
xsoldix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #40
Supremacy Member

Something I learned from a Malaysian telco CSO, is to set the network to 3G, other than turning off data roaming.

Works for me so far, no roaming charges since.
Habrosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #41
Supremacy Member

Something I learned from a Malaysian telco CSO, is to set the network to 3G, other than turning off data roaming.

Works for me so far, no roaming charges since.
are u M1 also?

I M1 and last time long long ago this happened to me.
But sometimes I scared may forget to switch to 3G......
rbtr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #42
Supremacy Member

are u M1 also?

I M1 and last time long long ago this happened to me.
But sometimes I scared may forget to switch to 3G......
I always travel with a spare phone, so I've M1 and also ST lines with me.

It's a lesson/habit that I learned from having my Malaysian prepaid credit deducted for data roaming though I've always turned off the option before crossing the border.

Now I've the habit of changing to 3G whenever I turn off data roaming. Or on a dual-SIM phone, I'll change the SG SIM to 3G while doing the rest of the settings.
Habrosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.