HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ease of switching between physical and eSIM (et al.)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Ease of switching between physical and eSIM (et al.)

Would like a better understanding on how the physical and eSIM coexist on an iPhone XS/Max.

1) Is it possible to set the primary sim to be used for data usage?

2) Is it possible to set the primary sim to be used for dialling out?

3) I assume I can register either the physical sim or the eSIM number for WhatsApp? (of course only 1 at any one time, i.e. it doesn't have to be the physical sim number but can be the eSIM number also)

4) If the Apple Watch number is tagged to the physical sim number, can WhatsApp (assuming it is tagged to the eSIM number) still push notification to the Apple Watch?

5) Is the Apple Watch push notification dependent on the number or the app? i.e. if I receive text messages (not WhatsApp) from both numbers, will it still be pushed to the Apple Watch, or I will only receive push notifications for text messages sent to the number the Apple Watch is tagged to?
Old 10-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #2

Question 1&2 is answered at link article.
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT209044

For question 3, when you change the default phone number, whatsapp detects and will prompt you whether you want to change the registered number to the new one. Note that there's a limit to how many times WhatsApp will allow you to switch the number registered on the app.
boliao45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Question 1&2 is answered at link article.
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT209044

For question 3, when you change the default phone number, whatsapp detects and will prompt you whether you want to change the registered number to the new one. Note that there's a limit to how many times WhatsApp will allow you to switch the number registered on the app.
thanks for 1&2

for 3, ok got it. so i can stick to the same number be it whether it is on physical sim or esim.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #4

I can confirm on 5 - have a cellular Apple Watch S4 with Singtel number (physical sim) and another number as e SIM. SMS from both numbers will still be pushed on Apple Watch.

4 am not sure as my Whatsapp is tagged to the physical number.
kudo2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

I can confirm on 5 - have a cellular Apple Watch S4 with Singtel number (physical sim) and another number as e SIM. SMS from both numbers will still be pushed on Apple Watch.

4 am not sure as my Whatsapp is tagged to the physical number.
for WhatsApp, my thinking is, the number is the account, but the actual delivery is just internet.

That's why even if there is no network coverage, as long as got wifi it will work. so wonder if that is the case.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #6

for WhatsApp, my thinking is, the number is the account, but the actual delivery is just internet.

That's why even if there is no network coverage, as long as got wifi it will work. so wonder if that is the case.
That is the case. The phone number is just our ‘username’ on WhatsApp.

That is also how when we are overseas and use a prepaid overseas number but still able to communicate and chat still using our SG or existing number.
tec_geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

That is the case. The phone number is just our ‘username’ on WhatsApp.

That is also how when we are overseas and use a prepaid overseas number but still able to communicate and chat still using our SG or existing number.
so i will guess no4 will work? is this based on your experience?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 PM   #8

so i will guess no4 will work? is this based on your experience?
Yes. No. 4 will still work as just like a normal push notification.

Just that once the physical SIM is removed, the cellular Apple Watch’s mobile data tied to that same number will be in ‘Not In Use’ state.

EDIT: It will be like a normal GPS version and will still be able to receive push notifications.

Last edited by tec_geek; 12-03-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Yes. No. 4 will still work as just like a normal push notification.

Just that once the physical SIM is removed, the cellular Apple Watch’s mobile data tied to that same number will be in ‘Not In Use’ state.
ah ok. because there is no mobile data. but i reckon if it is connected to wifi it will continue to receive messages?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #10

ah ok. because there is no mobile data. but i reckon if it is connected to wifi it will continue to receive messages?
Would need to research further though, to see if still can receive notifications without the iPhone nearby but connected via Wi-Fi.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.