HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iPhone 8+ that suddenly died - some questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

iPhone 8+ that suddenly died - some questions...

Hey folks...

i've been using my iphone 8+ for 1+ year without issue, usage revolves around surfing google chrome, social media apps & few games. Recently it just suddenly can't start up at all. Went to the service centre @ plaza sing and was told nothing could be done and was offered to replace entire phone for a little under SGD 588.

got some questions...

1) has this happened to any of you before, any similar stories/experiences to share? not keen in spending 1k$ for high depreciating device that doesn't last 2 years, inclined to just use cheaper/budget alternatives (thinking of Huawei P30 lite or Huawei nova 3i)

2) any affordable/secure means of data recovery to recommend?
boliao123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
Master Member

Try asking outside shop. Maybe battery spoilt. Do you always let it run till low batt and recharge?
phayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

usually i'll just charge it every night before i go to bed. typically batt left would be 20% to 40% already.

the service staff said it's not due to batt issue, can't really get her to pinpoint what exactly failed...

Try asking outside shop. Maybe battery spoilt. Do you always let it run till low batt and recharge?
Old 19-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

I donít experience this before , neither of my friends do.

Changing to other phone also can not guarantee it wonít happen similar problem la... all these are luck.
yotoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #5

Like the other advice try outside shop better look for more authorizes one or go apple store
I find it better more professional to settle issue over a lab or qcd
I still on ip7 no issue it’s mine daily driver beside mine ipX
OnePunch!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

Hey folks...

i've been using my iphone 8+ for 1+ year without issue, usage revolves around surfing google chrome, social media apps & few games. Recently it just suddenly can't start up at all. Went to the service centre @ plaza sing and was told nothing could be done and was offered to replace entire phone for a little under SGD 588.

got some questions...

1) has this happened to any of you before, any similar stories/experiences to share? not keen in spending 1k$ for high depreciating device that doesn't last 2 years, inclined to just use cheaper/budget alternatives (thinking of Huawei P30 lite or Huawei nova 3i)

2) any affordable/secure means of data recovery to recommend?
I wonder if the phone tried to update iOS 12.3 overnight and failed. If you have iCloud backup, might be worthwhile to try to do a restore or DFU mode reinstall
sdchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #7

thanks for the advice folks... tried the DFU mode but doesn't seem to work (my itunes on my windows laptop can't get patched since 2016 anyway...)

i've resigned to fate and looking to do data recovery on this brick. going to jump ship to android boat soon, probably a google pixel 3a or xiaomi, devices are more affordable and more control over data/backups.

I wonder if the phone tried to update iOS 12.3 overnight and failed. If you have iCloud backup, might be worthwhile to try to do a restore or DFU mode reinstall
Like the other advice try outside shop better look for more authorizes one or go apple store
I find it better more professional to settle issue over a lab or qcd
I still on ip7 no issue itís mine daily driver beside mine ipX
I donít experience this before , neither of my friends do.

Changing to other phone also can not guarantee it wonít happen similar problem la... all these are luck.
Old 23-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #8

no icloud backup or itunes backup?

latest iOS version usually needs latest iTunes too.

thanks for the advice folks... tried the DFU mode but doesn't seem to work (my itunes on my windows laptop can't get patched since 2016 anyway...)

i've resigned to fate and looking to do data recovery on this brick. going to jump ship to android boat soon, probably a google pixel 3a or xiaomi, devices are more affordable and more control over data/backups.
warehaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.