HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iPhone Chinese Entertainment Apps

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #16
Master Member

Another possibility is to use Google to find some websites.

Last edited by xiaofan; 01-01-2019 at 08:11 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #17

If I were to purchase QQ music in China can I use it in sg ? Do I still need to use vpn ?
auzzuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
Master Member

If I were to purchase QQ music in China can I use it in sg ? Do I still need to use vpn ?
You can check the VPN thread. No need VPN if you pay for VIP.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...07778-141.html

Are you using iOS or Android? This thread is about iPhone so I assume the answer is iOS. In this case, then you can just pay by in-app-purchase paying SGD.

If you use Android you can pay by WeChat Wallet (assume you have that) and no need to go to China.

Last edited by xiaofan; 29-11-2018 at 07:45 PM..
Old 30-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #19
Master Member

Are you using iOS or Android? This thread is about iPhone so I assume the answer is iOS. In this case, then you can just pay by in-app-purchase paying SGD.

If you use Android you can pay by WeChat Wallet (assume you have that) and no need to go to China.
FYI, as a test, I just paid S$1.48 for 1 month of “付费音乐包” and it works. I can access VIP content and download SQ quality music now.

Seems to be a loophole to me as the terms and conditions still state that the service is for Mainland China only.

(六)用户理解并同意:腾讯公司向用户提供的服务,可能包含腾讯公司经合法权利人授权而向用户提供的相关服务,因此,由于该权利人对腾讯公司授权时间、范围、限制等的约束,所以,腾讯公司会对开通相关服务用户所在的地区以及用户具体使用服务的时间、地域范围等做一定限制,可能会导致用户在一定的地区或时间等情况下无法获得相关服务,包括但不限于目前付费音乐包相关服务仅限用户在中国大陆地区(不含香港、澳门、台湾等地区)范围内开通并使用相关服务,如果用户在中国大陆地区之外或者使用的是非中国大陆地区之网络/设备等,则无法使用/获得相关服务。对于因为前述原因或其他原因造成用户无法享有相关服务的,腾讯公司无需承担任何责任。

Edit to add steps for in-app-purchase

Launch QQ Music, log-in using your WeChat account (my WeChat account is linked to my SG phone number), switch language to Chinese (maybe not necessary but I did that, better to use Chinese language settings for WeChat and QQ Music).

QQ音乐 — 我的 — 会员中心 — click your name — 我的个人中心 — Pay for 付费音乐包 or 绿钻 or 绿钻豪华版

Or similar.

Last edited by xiaofan; 01-12-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Old 27-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #20
Master Member

Copy from the VPN thread.
Just found out you can pay for Youku VIP and no need to use VPN to access the content.

I just paid RMB88 for one year Taobao 88VIP membership since my wife uses Taobao a lot. It comes with one year free VIP for Youku and Xiami Music.

I already know that you do not need VPN to use Xiami Music (free or paid). And I paid RMB120 to get one year QQ Music VIP and then I do not need VPN to use QQ Music.

To my surprise I do not need to use VPN for Youku once I activate the VIP access. Very nice. Speed is fast, no more ads and I can have access to 1080p HDR for the movies.

I think RMB88 (S$17.6) is well spent. YMMV though.

BTW, my Youku and Xiami music account are linked to my Singapore mobile number. There is no problem to activate VIP access.
Teo Ming Ern likes this.
Old 27-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #21

Continue my research, use Android as a starting point to see if there is a counterpart for iOS.

Search App Store for “rss player” and found the following :
Rss video player
Rss media reader
Media Feed City

Then you need to use google to see how to add channels for dramas or anime.
I am using this for most drama..... there are also movies... but may not be new ones though.. so far so good.

another one for android of iOs can try WatchMe or WatchMeAsia.. think can watch on webpage as well....
Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #22
Master Member

Taiwan TV program.

民视线上 is the free iOS app for seven live TV channels supported by ads for 民视, including Drama, news and info. Some of the programs are in Hokkien.

Fain TV got free live TV sections for Taiwan Live TV and paid sections

Last edited by xiaofan; 06-02-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #23
Master Member

Three free apps for Hong Kong related news stuff if you understand Cantonese

RTHK Screen, Live TV for two RTHK news channels

RTHK Go, many PodCasts, I personally like the 铿锵集 in Cantonese.

NowTV 新闻 by PCCW. You need Hong Kong VPN for the two live TV news channels
Old 08-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Master Member

HK Radio 香港人的电台, free iOS app for live radio in Hong Kong
Old 12-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #25
Supremacy Member

Drama I use youku, very good.
Music I use Xiami.
RocketBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Master Member

Drama I use youku, very good.
Music I use Xiami.
FYI if you have Taobao (probably with Chinese Taobao account and you spend quite some money on Taobao) you can get the 88VIP for RMB 88 (S$17.6) a year and then activate Youku and Xiami VIP for a year.

If you pay through Apple app store then the cost will be higher. S$44.98 a year for Youku membership and S$21.98 per year for Xiami Music VIP. Still worth paying.

On the other hand, for music, Xiami free version is good in Singapore. For paid version, I will say QQ Music is better, S$25.98 for 12 month 绿钻 should be a better choice than Xiami Music VIP. There is also the cheaper 付费音乐包 S$1.48 per month and the more expensive 绿钻豪华版 at S$38.98 per year.

Edit to add: I thought I paid for the cheaper QQ Music 绿钻 but then I just checked I actually paid RMB180 (S$36) using WeChat Pay under Android for the 绿钻豪华版, (usable under both iOS and Android). In reality the 绿钻豪华版's extra perks are not so useful in Singapore so the cheaper 绿钻 is probably good enough.

Last edited by xiaofan; 14-01-2019 at 08:05 AM..
Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

FYI if you have Taobao (probably with Chinese Taobao account) you can get the 88VIP for RMB 88 (S$17.6) a year and then activate Youku and Xiami VIP for a year.

If you pay through Apple app store then the cost will be higher. S$44.98 a year for Youku membership and S$21.98 per year for Xiami Music VIP. Still worth paying.

On the other hand, for music, Xiami free version is good in Singapore. For paid version, I will say QQ Music is better, S$25.98 for 12 month 绿钻 should be a better choice than Xiami Music VIP. There is also the cheaper 付费音乐包 S$1.48 per month and the more expensive 绿钻豪华版 at S$38.98 per year.

Edit to add: I thought I paid for the cheaper QQ Music 绿钻 but then I just checked I actually paid RMB180 (S$36) using WeChat Pay under Android for the 绿钻豪华版, (usable under both iOS and Android). In reality the 绿钻豪华版's extra perks are not so useful in Singapore so the cheaper 绿钻 is probably good enough.

Thanks for the input appreciate it

I using iOS so pay thru the app. Xiami VIP is 88yuan for a year. So not bad. Exchange rate differs?

Youku free version still bearable with the ads and one slot download. Wait till the day I cannot tahan then maybe get vip. For now got free vip for check in per day
Old 12-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #28
Master Member

Thanks for the input appreciate it

I using iOS so pay thru the app. Xiami VIP is 88yuan for a year. So not bad. Exchange rate differs?

Youku free version still bearable with the ads and one slot download. Wait till the day I cannot tahan then maybe get vip. For now got free vip for check in per day
Yes that is probably because of exchange rate differences.

Just take note it is said if you use the Taobao VIP route (cheapest way to get Youku VIP, plus Xiami VIP), you have to activate through Android first and then you can use it under iOS. That was I did and I can see my VIP status in iOS for both Xiami and Youku.

One thing about Youku free version is that you need VPN or unblock youku or smart dns.

Last edited by xiaofan; 12-01-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Old 12-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

Yes that is probably because of exchange rate differences.

Just take note it is said if you use the Taobao VIP route (cheapest way to get Youku VIP, plus Xiami VIP), you have to activate through Android first and then you can use it under iOS. That was I did and I can see my VIP status in iOS for both Xiami and Youku.

One thing about Youku free version is that you need VPN or unblock youku or smart dns.
Oh I get what you meant le.

Went to see tb VIP can open up alot vip for many of their apps too.. thanks!

Any idea why need on Android first ah?
Old 12-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #30
Master Member

Oh I get what you meant le.

Went to see tb VIP can open up alot vip for many of their apps too.. thanks!

Any idea why need on Android first ah?
No idea. This is what I read from the Internet. I happen to change my main phone to Android so I activated VIP on my Huawei P20 first.

Ref:
https://www.zhihu.com/question/29951...swer/527164331

Last edited by xiaofan; 12-01-2019 at 07:59 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.