HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iPhone Warranty Start Date

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Master Member

iPhone Warranty Start Date

Asking for a friend whose company wanted to buy an iPhone 11 from retail store like Challenger as one of the lucky draw top prizes. The lucky draw is about 1-2 months from now but they need to make the purchase now. So how does the iPhone warranty begin? Does it start from the day the phone is purchased or when the recipient of the phone unbox it and activate the phone.

Thanks in advance to those who has experience with this. Thanks!
Shutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

From my understanding, it’s from the date of activation. Apple does not need receipts when u send for servicing, they rely on the activation date if I m not wrong.
Shutterfly likes this.
camoguysg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

It actually depends on where you purchased the phone.

Units purchased from Apple Store will have warranty started on Purchase Date. Units purchased from official resellers will have their warranty started only when first connected to the internet.

Apple actually has no tracking on reseller or distributor inventory units, so they depend only on when the device registers on their servers. However the ones under Apple inventory themselves where they have full visibility, the activation comes on the purchase date, irregardless of when you connect the phone to the internet.
Shutterfly likes this.
jaymessofly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Master Member

Units purchased from Apple Store will have warranty started on Purchase Date. Units purchased from official resellers will have their warranty started only when first connected to the internet.

Apple actually has no tracking on reseller or distributor inventory units, so they depend only on when the device registers on their servers. However the ones under Apple inventory themselves where they have full visibility, the activation comes on the purchase date, irregardless of when you connect the phone to the internet.
Thanks. I think they plan to get from places like Challenger or Courts where they can get other stuff as well.
Old 28-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

No that’s wrong. Apple store set still depends on the day you activate. Not the purchase date.
Shutterfly likes this.
Old 28-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Master Member

No that’s wrong. Apple store set still depends on the day you activate. Not the purchase date.
You tried?
Old 28-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #7

If you buy in store.
Apple Inc. of One Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, U.S.A. 95014 (“Apple”) warrants the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple TV hardware product and the Apple-branded accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period").
If you buy online (apple delivery), the warrenty will start on the day you activate your phone.

Hello, Are you Captain Obvious?
ragnarok95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

U are wrong. Purchase from apple store even if u never open, warranty start from the moment ur credit card is charged regardless whether u open the set or not. My 11 pro max is activated on apple website but i have yet to play with it and it is sealed in box. Same as my airpod 1 when i bought it which i wasted 1 week warranty as i do not want to use it first, but realise warranty has already been activated on the day i purchase at apple store and i leave it sealed till 1 week later i just open up to use as i do not want to waste the warranty
ragnarok95 likes this.
KeYoKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

U are wrong. Purchase from apple store even if u never open, warranty start from the moment ur credit card is charged regardless whether u open the set or not. My 11 pro max is activated on apple website but i have yet to play with it and it is sealed in box. Same as my airpod 1 when i bought it which i wasted 1 week warranty as i do not want to use it first, but realise warranty has already been activated on the day i purchase at apple store and i leave it sealed till 1 week later i just open up to use as i do not want to waste the warranty
Apple Store set here as well.

Same situation as you. Warranty started on Invoice Date. Not Delivery Date. So technically my warranty started even before I received my phone. Not to mention activation. 😂
Old 28-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
Master Member

So anyone here personally bought from IT stores and open up the phone much later with the warranty date starting on the activation date?
Old 28-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

It will start on the day of activation
Old 28-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

So anyone here personally bought from IT stores and open up the phone much later with the warranty date starting on the activation date?
This will be based on the day your iphone first connected to the internet, where it will activate your iphone

Last edited by KeYoKe; 28-09-2019 at 09:38 PM..
KeYoKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
Master Member

This will be based on the day your iphone first connected to the internet, where it will.activate your iphone
Thanks. You personally tried it right?
Old 28-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have not bought from IT stores, but have bought from telcos with delivery option.

Phone was delivered to me sealed and BNIB.

Warranty only started on day of activation then.

I’m assuming it should be the same standard across for all authorised resellers.
Old 28-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #15

Same here. Phone is from Fortress (hong kong). Warranty started the day I activated the phone. Wasnt on the same day of purchase. Activated pass the midnight minute. ie 0001 hrs.

Last edited by manofsorrows; 28-09-2019 at 05:58 PM..
manofsorrows is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.