HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Iphone XS Max

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

Iphone XS Max

hi guys,

today my iphone xs max suddenly keeps restarting and it hangs and restarts again after every few minutes. So i went down to the apple repair shop and they check and told me that my iphone shows that there is water damage. And told me that my warranty is not valid anymore and will need to pay $888 for a replacement... But the thing is i did not drop inside the water before, does anyone knows what is the cause for this? and should i pay the $888 for a new replacement phone? Please help me out Im really lost right now
reeenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

hi guys,

today my iphone xs max suddenly keeps restarting and it hangs and restarts again after every few minutes. So i went down to the apple repair shop and they check and told me that my iphone shows that there is water damage. And told me that my warranty is not valid anymore and will need to pay $888 for a replacement... But the thing is i did not drop inside the water before, does anyone knows what is the cause for this? and should i pay the $888 for a new replacement phone? Please help me out Im really lost right now
Although it is rated as IP68, which should last 30min under 2m of water, Apple does not provide warranty coverage for liquid damage.

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are splash, water and dust resistant, and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 metres for up to 30 minutes). Splash, water and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.
There are so many factors that can tamper the IP68 rating. The temperature of the water, pressure due to denser liquid and chemical composition. But since you did not drop it into water before, have you considered that you might be in a place or a room with high humidity? Or bring your phone from somewhere cold to somewhere in room temperature in a short spell? Condensation and humidity can trigger the liquid damage indicator.

Based on your XS Max's symptoms, looks like the motherboard is compromised. There's no cheap way to fix this. Hope other bros here can advise TS.
reeenx likes this.

Last edited by metamofia89; 04-12-2018 at 11:01 PM..
metamofia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

I did not know this will happen, but it is really quite bad quality as the phone is so expensive and i just got it recently. So this means that if im in a aircon room and i go out it will trigger the indicator? but why does my phone keeps restarting due to this and it happens suddenly
Do u think if i should pay to get the replacement phone?

Last edited by reeenx; 04-12-2018 at 11:03 PM..
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
cnt
Greater Supremacy Member

Did you go to apple at orchard?
cnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #5

i went to the westgate apple service centre. is there a difference?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
cnt
Greater Supremacy Member

Not sure but worth trying
cnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #7

okay thanks, is any other retail apple shop fine?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

okay thanks, is any other retail apple shop fine?
Only Apple Orchard can help you.

Retail stores wont be of any assistance.
jaymessofly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

I did not know this will happen, but it is really quite bad quality as the phone is so expensive and i just got it recently. So this means that if im in a aircon room and i go out it will trigger the indicator? but why does my phone keeps restarting due to this and it happens suddenly
Do u think if i should pay to get the replacement phone?
When I mentioned about condensation and humidity, it has to be the worst of its kind to cause significant damages. Afterall, the iPhone's liquid protection integrity is held applying rubber gasket and rubber rings in key areas of the phone. A slight separation of the OLED screen from the body might cause the rubber gasket to be compromised. There are too many factors actually that's why Apple doesn't cover the liquid damage under their warranty.

To me sounds like motherboard issue. It is the brain of your XS Max and I doubt anyone other than Apple can fix it. Whether it's worth the price or not only you can answer bro.

How long you've had the XS Max for? Still eligible for AppleCare+ or not?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #10

its been only 2 months ish, am i still able to buy it given the condition of my phone? but i feel rather unfair as it did not bring my phone anywhere near the water for it to be damage until this state.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

its been only 2 months ish, am i still able to buy it given the condition of my phone? but i feel rather unfair as it did not bring my phone anywhere near the water for it to be damage until this state.
Arrange a session with Genius Bar. Then see what they say.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #12

that's apple orchard uh?
Old 05-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #13
Master Member

Share with us what happen, we are curious to know
Glariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #14

Apple Orchard or get appointment in Wheelock place or chat with Apple online support will work for you.
Hope it help.

that's apple orchard uh?
obichacha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #15

did u run with it? or use it when rains? spill coffee or water accidentally?
Eidekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.