M1 wifi calling

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it count as local call if you use a VPN that terminates in SG?

wifi calling is no an IP call. it works just the same as cellular call, apart from the fact call transmission i over wifi.

wifi calling might not work if you're using a VPN..

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wifi calling is no an IP call. it works just the same as cellular call, apart from the fact call transmission i over wifi.

wifi calling might not work if you're using a VPN..
What I do know from doing a packet capture is, there's an active IPsec tunnel to your telco's system when wifi calling is active. The tunnel is established when you see the wifi calling text on the status bar.

Maybe someone can take one for the team and give it a go :crazy:

Probably need to turn on flight mode, then get your VPN connection established before wifi calling comes up, or only enable WiFi calling after you have your VPN connection up.

Last edited:

yottabits

Reaction score
I've also observed via packet capture that the Wifi Calling uses IPSec to connect to telco's Wifi-Calling-Server.
I've tried a few things:
1) While in at home in SG, Wifi Calling still work when I turn on airplane mode while leaving the wifi on.
2) I've tried doing the same overseas but it didn't work, which led me to believe that the Telco's IPSec server is rejecting IP addresses originating from overseas.
3) I then tried to enable VPN on my phone to route all traffic back to my SG home, in the hopes that it'll make it seem that I'm connecting from SG, but the Wifi-Calling-IPSec traffic went directly to the wifi router's network rather than my VPN tunnel.

One last thing I've yet to try, bring my own wifi router overseas and create a site-to-site VPN from overseas to my SG home, set the router to route all traffic to the VPN tunnel back to SG, then use the wifi on that router.
Haiz.. so much effort just to make cheap roaming calls.

Last edited:

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
Did point number 3 work ?

I've also observed via packet capture that the Wifi Calling uses IPSec to connect to telco's Wifi-Calling-Server.
I've tried a few things:
1) While in at home in SG, Wifi Calling still work when I turn on airplane mode while leaving the wifi on.
2) I've tried doing the same overseas but it didn't work, which led me to believe that the Telco's IPSec server is rejecting IP addresses originating from overseas.
3) I then tried to enable VPN on my phone to route all traffic back to my SG home, in the hopes that it'll make it seem that I'm connecting from SG, but the Wifi-Calling-IPSec traffic went directly to the wifi router's network rather than my VPN tunnel.

One last thing I've yet to try, bring my own wifi router overseas and create a site-to-site VPN from overseas to my SG home, set the router to route all traffic to the VPN tunnel back to SG, then use the wifi on that router.
Haiz.. so much effort just to make cheap roaming calls.

yotoden

Reaction score
Since the IPSec traffic is not entering the VPN tunnel in the phone, the Wifi-Calling server still sees the connection as originating from an overseas IP.

So no.

interesting... i tot all traffic means ALL... hmm. thanks anyway

eha

Reaction score
Does anyone have any issue when enabling Wifi Calling on iOS? Am on Singtel, iOS 11.4 and iphone X And 6S plus.

The emergency address portion did not appear when I enabled Wifi calling.

Will appreciate any bro who can help.

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just OT a bit. My reception is rather bad, as compared to my ex Huawei Mate 10 pro. I called M1 and was advised to reset my phone. I went to Apple. They ran a diagnostic and found nothing wrong. I asked the other iPhone X users and they don’t find such problems.

Should I change my SIM card?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Change la. You don't have any choice unless u wish to put your sim card in another phone and try?

Just OT a bit. My reception is rather bad, as compared to my ex Huawei Mate 10 pro. I called M1 and was advised to reset my phone. I went to Apple. They ran a diagnostic and found nothing wrong. I asked the other iPhone X users and they don’t find such problems.

Should I change my SIM card?

eha

Reaction score
Does anyone have any issue when enabling Wifi Calling on iOS? Am on Singtel, iOS 11.4 and iphone X And 6S plus.

The emergency address portion did not appear when I enabled Wifi calling.

Will appreciate any bro who can help.

Tried calling Apple Support and tested for both phones, Wifi Calling text just doesn't show on the status bar and I tested it via airplane mode with Wifi on, cant receive/send sms or call in or call out which led me to believe wifi calling is not working for me.

Tested: iPhone 7 on ios 11.4 on another Starhub mobile line via Starhub ISP, Starhub Wifi Calling works. Cannot receive sms though.

Tested: iPhone X on iOS 11.4 on Singtel mobile line (multi sim) via Starhub ISP, wifi calling not working (doesn't show).

iPhone 6S plus on iOS 11.4 on on Singtel mobile line (multi sim) via Starhub ISP, wifi calling not working (doesn't show).

Last edited:

omelet

Reaction score
Tried calling Apple Support and tested for both phones, Wifi Calling text just doesn't show on the status bar and I tested it via airplane mode with Wifi on, cant receive/send sms or call in or call out which led me to believe wifi calling is not working for me.

Tested: iPhone 7 on ios 11.4 on another Starhub mobile line via Starhub ISP, Starhub Wifi Calling works. Cannot receive sms though.

Tested: iPhone X on iOS 11.4 on Singtel mobile line (multi sim) via Starhub ISP, wifi calling not working (doesn't show).

iPhone 6S plus on iOS 11.4 on on Singtel mobile line (multi sim) via Starhub ISP, wifi calling not working (doesn't show).

Starhub mobile only works with voice. You can check it by going to setting>general>about and tap on carrier.

Anyway, tested iPhone 8 with StarHub wifi calling on air plane mode with only wifi enabled. Wifi calling showed in status bar and I am able to receive call but not sms.

Think only Singtel can receive sms+voice for now...

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
Works for mine too... airplane mode with wifi calling.

CjK0Ib6.jpg

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Works for mine too... airplane mode with wifi calling.

CjK0Ib6.jpg

Same as M1 VoLTE, the IMS Core only registers Voice, no SMS. Therefore in airplane mode, you can't send or receive SMSes.

Tried using Circles 4G as mobile hotspot, M1 doesn't allow me to use VoWiFi. Same when using Celcom 4G (OneXOX MVNO) line for the purpose.
Use home broadband and Wireless@SG (SingTel/M1 hotspots at least), all connect to WiFi Calling almost immediately after registering.

Later try SingTel 4G as mobile hotspot and check if M1 VoWiFi works or not.

Update: Use SingTel 4G Prepaid as hotspot, can connect to M1 WiFi Calling on the iPhone 6s Plus.

Last edited:

yotoden

Reaction score
Same as M1 VoLTE, the IMS Core only registers Voice, no SMS. Therefore in airplane mode, you can't send or receive SMSes.

Tried using Circles 4G as mobile hotspot, M1 doesn't allow me to use VoWiFi. Same when using Celcom 4G (OneXOX MVNO) line for the purpose.
Use home broadband and Wireless@SG (SingTel/M1 hotspots at least), all connect to WiFi Calling almost immediately after registering.

Later try SingTel 4G as mobile hotspot and check if M1 VoWiFi works or not.

Update: Use SingTel 4G Prepaid as hotspot, can connect to M1 WiFi Calling on the iPhone 6s Plus.

thanks for the update.

yotoden

Reaction score
Are you in jurong district? Because what I read is that wifi call for m1 is only available at that area as a trial under hetnet

i think island wide now.

will try from taipei in next few days later...

does not work while in taiwan. back to sg immediately works.

Last edited:

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you in jurong district? Because what I read is that wifi call for m1 is only available at that area as a trial under hetnet

It's available for all WiFi networks that are listed as Singapore IP excluding M1 Mobile it seems.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's available for all WiFi networks that are listed as Singapore IP excluding M1 Mobile it seems.

Seems like at least for M1 Singapore 32.5.10, M1 WiFi Calling works when tethered from Circles Flexi, despite being M1 Mobile IP.

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
The "M1 WiFi Call" indication at the top left is kinda big and annoying (takes up too much space). Would be nice if Apple changes the indication to something more subtle like an icon showing a phone and Wi-Fi together..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.