HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

Like Tree313Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #16

Imagine u go ntuc. Buy one packet of drinks. Cashier Scan your item. U bring out your phone n wave in front of the receiver. The phone lights up. U put your finger to the fingerprint scanner. Done. Android has NFC for a long while. Apple made it sexy....
frekedech likes this.
cheek_ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

Imagine u go ntuc. Buy one packet of drinks. Cashier Scan your item. U bring out your phone n wave in front of the receiver. The phone lights up. U put your finger to the fingerprint scanner. Done. Android has NFC for a long while. Apple made it sexy....
Android has it for sometime but still you can't do it at NTUC right? It all boils down to how dedicated the company is to make it happen. The way I see it Apple is kinda dedicated by wooing the different banks and companies
xiaobai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
Greater Supremacy Member

Android has it for sometime but still you can't do it at NTUC right? It all boils down to how dedicated the company is to make it happen. The way I see it Apple is kinda dedicated by wooing the different banks and companies
Google's approach is launch first and see how things go

Google, by contrast, took a more ham-fisted and less successful approach with its Google Wallet mobile payments system. (Disclosure: I used to work for Google, and my wife still does.) Google itself became the issuer by wrapping your credit card in its own standardized credit card. This has some advantages: Unlike with Apple, you can use any credit card you like. Even more importantly, Google sees the transactions, which will remain opaque to Apple, allowing Google to learn more about its users. That means Google can do things similar to what the Starbucks app does: place a standing coffee order every time you go into the store, or tell you which coffee is most similar to your favorite Starbucks brand when you go into Peet’s. Apple will not be able to conduct any of what Levitin terms “non-payment information exchange” between customers and merchants—at least, not at the moment.

But Google’s approach comes with a huge downside. First, it saddles Google with the nightmare of dealing with all the different card payment mechanisms, effectively forcing it to replicate the credit ecosystem in miniature. Worse, it paints a big target on Google’s back, because Google looks like a competitor to banks and networks rather than a helpful intermediary. No one was going to strike the sort of deal with Google that Apple just got. Consequently, Google had few incentives to offer merchants, and Wallet has languished.
Apple Pay mobile payment system: It could succeed where Google Wallet failed.

which unfortunately became ugly as they themselves become the competitor..
so i would say Apple's approach is more neutral and they tried to get partners onboard

and once again Apple offers the total solution instead of trying to be there first approach
Apple Files New Patent for Establishing NFC Sessions - Patently Apple
they already got the patent filed in 2008
Old 21-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #19

Jut curious if anyone here will really use alot of the new payment system? I still see alot of people pay traditional way, cash or sign card. Except EZ link, dun see much tap and go. Even the ntuc self checkout counters hardly used.

But since we are at the topic of bashing the govt, just want to say +1. Haha.
striker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #20
Greater Supremacy Member

well. the self checkout thing is very big in Europe and Australia.. Australia accepts notes. their machines are good

the NTUC one jus flash and go? or its still using NETS?
flash and go = no security
NETS = still need PIN
Old 21-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

Jut curious if anyone here will really use alot of the new payment system? I still see alot of people pay traditional way, cash or sign card. Except EZ link, dun see much tap and go. Even the ntuc self checkout counters hardly used.

But since we are at the topic of bashing the govt, just want to say +1. Haha.
i will definitely use it. it's e same as using Visa PayWave/MasterCard PayPass.
but much more secure.
FreeSell likes this.
Old 21-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #22

i will definitely use it. it's e same as using Visa PayWave/MasterCard PayPass.
but much more secure.
All the 3 telcos have launched their nfc offering but on android which has ezlink and DBS onetap in it.
manualvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

All the 3 telcos have launched their nfc offering but on android which has ezlink and DBS onetap in it.
i checked out e DBS onetap page. biggest stumbling block for mass adoption probably cos need to swop out existing sim to a NFC enabled sim.
Old 21-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
Arch-Supremacy Member

I believe its just the singapore financial institutions adopting to it or whether there's any underlying finance schematic. It apparently accepts US credit cards and is able to use at any ntuc or cold storage outlets that accept Master paypass and Visa Paywave.

Apple Pay Shown to Work Internationally Using U.S.-Based Credit Cards - Mac Rumors

Once an iPhone is configured with the appropriate U.S. credentials, international owners can use Apple Pay at point-of-sale terminals that support NFC payments. Australians, for example, can use Apple Pay at locations that accept MasterCard PayPass, Visa payWave, or American Express ExpressPay payments.

As Giles points out, the situation is not ideal for natives of countries outside of the U.S., as using a U.S. credit card for these purchases will incur currency conversion fees that can increase costs significantly. But for U.S. users traveling abroad or for international users who have U.S. credit cards and simply want to try out the service, Apple Pay does indeed function internationally.

Though Apple Pay is officially supported in the U.S. for the time being, the mobile payment solution is designed to work with existing payment terminals around the world. Once banks begin to work with Apple and offer support for Apple Pay, the expansion of the program into international countries should be relatively easy.
uRiZEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #25
Greater Supremacy Member

i checked out e DBS onetap page. biggest stumbling block for mass adoption probably cos need to swop out existing sim to a NFC enabled sim.
so i read about this.. there is this NFC SE (Secure Element) SIM that provides additional layer to protect data transmission from phone to NFC terminals..

Does iPhone 6/6 Plus use NFC specific nano-sim card? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
the thread says it. NFC SE is embedded into the phone. we shall see if it can make it to our shores.. i am sure there are big corps trying to emulate this story in Singapore's context while linking themselves up with MAS, IDA, Telcos
Old 21-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #26

Just switch your phone region to US to enable the feature. However, the process of adding the credit/debit card still requires validation of the card number so its' not useful yet.
jaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

so i read about this.. there is this NFC SE (Secure Element) SIM that provides additional layer to protect data transmission from phone to NFC terminals..

Does iPhone 6/6 Plus use NFC specific nano-sim card? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
the thread says it. NFC SE is embedded into the phone. we shall see if it can make it to our shores.. i am sure there are big corps trying to emulate this story in Singapore's context while linking themselves up with MAS, IDA, Telcos
oh. so e secure element on e Android side of things is in e NFC sim. interesting. i wonder y dun Android phone makers make it embedded too? probably dictated by carrier?
Old 21-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #28

oh. so e secure element on e Android side of things is in e NFC sim. interesting. i wonder y dun Android phone makers make it embedded too? probably dictated by carrier?
Most probably the banks didn't think Android was secure enough that's why the NFC sim

Apple Pay works by tokenisation, Touch ID and the Secure Element on the A8 chip
EldonChew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #29

A little surprised to see it work with unofficial partners. He commented that Apple pay worked with a NFC reader at a petrol station. Very interesting.

Downside is, it requires a US CC for now.

And no need for NFC SIM is a major plus. Good job Apple.
chris888222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

I believe its just the singapore financial institutions adopting to it or whether there's any underlying finance schematic. It apparently accepts US credit cards and is able to use at any ntuc or cold storage outlets that accept Master paypass and Visa Paywave.

Apple Pay Shown to Work Internationally Using U.S.-Based Credit Cards - Mac Rumors
Ok this is a very interesting, at first i thought the apple pay was like a man in the middle handing the transaction but it seems that it is able to emulate a paywave or paypass. This would seems that instead of handling transaction, apple is handing the security to use this technology.
chris888222 likes this.
xiaobai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.