HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Updating iOS on parent’s iphone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Updating iOS on parent’s iphone

My parents dont have wifi at home so basically the only way their phones can be backed up & iOS updated is when i bring their phones to my home. Problem is we live far apart & i meet then usually once a week so bringing their phones home with me means they are phoneless for a week.

Both are using iphone 6 which i think was last updated almost a year ago, maybe longer. Now my mum’s phone is starting to display that battery problem i.e. from 45% suddenly screen blacks out & shows battery symbol & she has to shut off & on again which solves the problem sometimes.

When a relative invites us to his country club recently the club had wifi so i tried updating for them there but failed. Dunno is it cos speed too slow or maybe public wifi cannot.

I thought of going to nearby library but im thinking if country club wifi doesnt work i doubt useless wireless@sg in library will work.

They dont have pc at home either so even if there is a way to download via itunes also its not applicable.

How sia? Since my starhub has unlimited wifi on wkends can i set my phone as hotspot & connect their phone to my phone’s wifi signal then update?

Last edited by derrickgoh; 13-01-2018 at 12:04 PM..
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

My parents dont have wifi at home so basically the only way their phones can be backed up & iOS updated is when i bring their phones to my home. Problem is we live far apart & i meet then usually once a week so bringing their phones home with me means they are phoneless for a week.

Both are using iphone 6 which i think was last updated almost a year ago, maybe longer. Now my mum’s phone is starting to display that battery problem i.e. from 45% suddenly screen blacks out & shows battery symbol & she has to shut off & on again which solves the problem sometimes.

When a relative invites us to his country club recently the club had wifi so i tried updating for them there but failed. Dunno is it cos speed too slow or maybe public wifi cannot.

I thought of going to nearby library but im thinking if country club wifi doesnt work i doubt useless wireless@sg in library will work.

They dont have pc at home either so even if there is a way to download via itunes also its not applicable.

How sia? Since my starhub has unlimited wifi on wkends can i set my phone as hotspot & connect their phone to my phone’s wifi signal then update?
starhub unlimited data on weekends you mean? you can tether their phones to yours and download lor. But trust me, without backup updating iOS is risk you don't wanna take.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

starhub unlimited data on weekends you mean? you can tether their phones to yours and download lor. But trust me, without backup updating iOS is risk you don't wanna take.
Tether then backup first lor
Old 13-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #4

Just sign up a cheapest plan for your parents, you may get a free wireless router too.
i-Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

Here’s a solution that you can do.

1. Have/bring a laptop when meeting them.

2. Download the relevant .ipsw files for their iPhones and store them locally on your laptop/on a thumb drive from here: https://ipsw.me/

3. Connect your laptop to your personal hotspot, as the verification (and signature) of the firmware files would require an internet connection, but it should be minimal as compared to downloading the whole file.

4. Then connect their iPhone to your laptop and open iTunes.

5. Once connected, hold down ALT and click on update. A window will open to choose the firmware that you have downloaded.

6. Select the relevant firmware file and update/continue.

7. iTunes will begin or start the update.

* Recommended to do a local backup of their data on your laptop before updating their iPhones.
tec_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Just sign up a cheapest plan for your parents, you may get a free wireless router too.
They are not internet savvy or have any interest to learn so even cheapest plan is waste of $. Anyway will try & see if tethering to my phone works.
Old 13-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Might not work lor via mobile data as it’s too big download but no harm try as example App Store DL app too big will ask for wifi only

They are not internet savvy or have any interest to learn so even cheapest plan is waste of $. Anyway will try & see if tethering to my phone works.
kenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tether then backup first lor
Assume you are not bring a laptop, How are u going to backup?
Old 13-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Ok managed to update their ios by using my iphone as hotspot. Strange thing is it refuses to backup claiming connection no good. Yet connection is good enough for updating ios 🙄
Old 13-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Probably Low speed for uploading bah..

Ok managed to update their ios by using my iphone as hotspot. Strange thing is it refuses to backup claiming connection no good. Yet connection is good enough for updating ios 🙄
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #11

great to hear all is done.

If not much files to backup, normally I would just update firmware. But it is always a good habit to backup then update.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.