HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #136

Just came back frm 7d Tokyo trip. Final night went to ueno ameyoko street to get another bag for check.in luggage. Went into this supermarket which sells alot of Japanese.sweets and tidbits, all quite low priced 100 to 300 yen. I bought an over flowing full basket for 10k yen...end up bag I bought full of these and had to buy yet another small bag at airport...lol
Haha yup, and Hokkaido is typically cheaper than Tokyo for most products.

Its amazing we can keep using words eg 'cheap', 'great value, buy' these days when we shop in Japan. It used to be 'OMG, freaking expensive' not too long ago.

Thanks alot to MIW for making SG so damn expensive as compared to Japan. Not only u guys made things in SG so much more expensive than the US, you managed to suppassed Japan these days.

And most of us don't even earn 60% of their average yearly salary
Old 25-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #137
Master Member

Is the Fukubukuro only available in Tokyo or in other cities as well? Eg. Kyoto, Hiroshima, Sapporo, Takamatsu, etc?

Arrigato!
Old 25-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #138

Its available all over Japan. Be warned though in city areas like Tokyo Osaka etc most of it will be gone on the 1st day, so be prepared to queue up early in the morning since you need to fight with all the local people and tourists.
marc2002 likes this.
Old 25-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #139

How early? The monorail starts operation at 5.15am iirc. What time does your flight from SG touch down at Haneda?

You need to factor in more transit time if u take the bus. Try the monorail if u can
The first link you give say start service at 0900?
Old 25-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #140

The first link you give say start service at 0900?
Hmm... we took the monorail at ard 6am during our mad rush from international terminal to the domestic terminal. And there were already a fair number of passsengers in the train when we board it

Could be old info that wasn't updated.
Old 25-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #141

Hmm... we took the monorail at ard 6am during our mad rush from international terminal to the domestic terminal. And there were already a fair number of passsengers in the train when we board it

Could be old info that wasn't updated.
Good to know.. thanks!
Old 26-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #142
Supremacy Member

Yup and most other seafood too.

What I learnt from this trip is that Otaru may not be the cheapest place to buy fresh/dried scallops. Sea weed and 昆布 still ok.

You'd be surprised how cheap things are at Sapporo Outer Market. Google for the place location.That marketr primarily caters to their locals, so the $$ are cheaper. Its virtually impossible for any tour groups in SG to go there de. See the difference between F&E and packaged tours? F&E allows you to mingle with the locals at their levels... packaged tours forces you to see pre-determined tourist spots.

If you want fresh scallops at the source, meaning straight off the farms, you may consider touring the east coast of Hokkaido. Abashiri, Yubetsu and Mombetsu are major producers of ultra high quality scallops and other seafood. You can see some of their 'kelong' along the coastline when you drive along it.

百色恋人choc can be bought at the factory itself. The place is a must go in Sapporo.

And you gotta try the western pastries and cakes in Sapporo. You'd be surprised how the Japs can actually improve on western dishes with their Japs elements. They're not cheap but the taste is something you can't get here in SG for that kind of $$.
If you're going to hakodate, go find the snaffles shop the cheesecakes are the best. I've seen them at sapporo Jr, Haneda airport and during a sapporo fair in yokohama's sogo. Can never find back that taste...
Old 26-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #143
High Supremacy Member

Haha yup, and Hokkaido is typically cheaper than Tokyo for most products.

Its amazing we can keep using words eg 'cheap', 'great value, buy' these days when we shop in Japan. It used to be 'OMG, freaking expensive' not too long ago.

Thanks alot to MIW for making SG so damn expensive as compared to Japan. Not only u guys made things in SG so much more expensive than the US, you managed to suppassed Japan these days.

And most of us don't even earn 60% of their average yearly salary
Japan has been going through a lot of deflation and thanks to it's rather "good" exchange rate to the USD things got worse.

It is still quite pricey in some places. You have to pick your battles and if you want to be a cheapo, losing your gaijin-ness is really important.

I walk into their supermarkets make a beeline for the cooked food section yumyum
Old 26-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #144

Japan has been going through a lot of deflation and thanks to it's rather "good" exchange rate to the USD things got worse.

It is still quite pricey in some places. You have to pick your battles and if you want to be a cheapo, losing your gaijin-ness is really important.

I walk into their supermarkets make a beeline for the cooked food section yumyum

Yup yup me too. And the food is so tasty and fresh

I was in a supermarket at Asahikawa and I saw them selling 菜心over there! wow, I didn't know 菜心 can grow in such cold weather. A bag about the size of Yili 菜心 that you see in NTUC was selling at 95yen only! TMD, CHEAPER than NTUC! and Hokkaido 菜心 are 100% organic and fresher than we can get here

Those authentic Enoki mushrooms are going for 50yen a box... fully grown in Biei. 4 large pieces of raw Salmon at 398yen

See here.

Old 26-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #145
VD
Supremacy Member

you obviously cannot compare the prices like that, you have left out on the shipping/handling cost. Any imports comes with Tax, shipping & etc cost.
Old 26-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #146
Supremacy Member

you obviously cannot compare the prices like that, you have left out on the shipping/handling cost. Any imports comes with Tax, shipping & etc cost.
our local branded products also more ex than their local branded products
Old 26-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #147

Maybe. But Yili products are locally grown. For other vegs from Malaysia and Indonesia, and last checked, none of their farmers command the kind of income the Japs farmers do.

Yet when their products are sold in SG eventually, the selling prices are actually higher than what the Japs are selling.

So who has been jacking up the prices so dramatically in the process? I don't think I need to eleborate further liao. Things won't be so expensive here if rental and transport costs are not so high.
Old 26-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #148

our local branded products also more ex than their local branded products
Well said. General cost of living in SG is indeed higher than the people living in Hokkaido, and I'm not even factoring in housing and car costs.

Jap import their branded stuff just like we do right? Why Timberland products are so much cheaper at Rera outlet mall as compared to Timberland outlet mall at IMM? And why the Japs can offer much bigger stocks varieties as compared to ours?

Eg, Scholl slimming tights are selling at ard 50% of what its being sold here. Wifey bought a few pairs (she's very fat). This product was selling at approx SG$30 at various pharmacies in Sapporo and Furano.

The exact same product (in english packaging) are going at a ridiculous price of $70 at BHG at Bugis Junction!! Something is wrong somewhere lor
Old 26-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #149
VD
Supremacy Member

Basically SG got no land for farming, no natural resources.... only thing we have is FT . Everything is imported, at least most things we eat, use and wear. Just compare to our neighbors, is sufficient. People always see the negative things but hardly the positive ones. For example, Taxation, Japan tax starts from 5% to 40%, USA taxation starts from 10% to 39+% and our taxation starts from 0 to 20%.

anyway, just my view. I think I'm OTing.
Old 26-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #150

really meh that hokkaido cost of living is lower than singapore.

product to product maybe true for some. compared to say 10 yrs ago, yes now alot cheaper. but lower cost than singapore - eg food, can you get a simple lunch for $4 or 300 yen?

certainly it is a very nice and beautiful place to visit but i will never even think about staying or working there long term.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.