HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #1591
Arch-Supremacy Member

We'll be taking public transport. Should we get a 14days pass? Beside kanazawa/takayama, where else can we stay if we want go shirakawago n nagano? Any budget hotel nearby?

dun think u need 14-days pass. 7-day pass is enough to cover the trip between Osaka, Kanazawa, Takayama, Nagano, and Tokyo. these are the long distance trips that is expensive. the cost of transport for the other days within Osaka and within Toyko are cheap and not worth getting the JR pass
Old 16-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #1592

Hi
You are so helpful. Pls advise on my travel plan: SIN/Tokyo/Osaka/Singapore Feb 23 to March 6.
Day 1 Tokyo. Tsiji fish mkt. etc
Day 2 Tokyo to Five lakes. FujiQ Highland/ Thomas Land/ Ropeway/ Lake Kawaguichi
(Not sure if enough time to get back to Tokyo and my kid gonna spend a long time in Thomas land) Should I stay 1 night?
Day 3 Tokyo to Kyoto via shinkansen
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 5 Osaka universal studio
Day 6 Osaka to Nara
Day 7 to end of trip in Osaka as Hubby has meeting. I have to travel around with my 4 year old kid. Is stroller friendly in Osaka?

What kind of passes do I need? The shinkansen has a good deal of return trip at 21000 yen and my boy likes to take trains. But we have to end the trip in Osaka. Yet the cheapest ticket from JAL is a connecting flight from Osaka to Narita as well. No direct flight to SIN.

Tks in advance!!
Old 16-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #1593
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi
You are so helpful. Pls advise on my travel plan: SIN/Tokyo/Osaka/Singapore Feb 23 to March 6.
Day 2 Tokyo to Five lakes. FujiQ Highland/ Thomas Land/ Ropeway/ Lake Kawaguichi
(Not sure if enough time to get back to Tokyo and my kid gonna spend a long time in Thomas land) Should I stay 1 night?
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 6 Osaka to Nara
Day 7 to end of trip in Osaka as Hubby has meeting. I have to travel around with my 4 year old kid. Is stroller friendly in Osaka?

What kind of passes do I need? The shinkansen has a good deal of return trip at 21000 yen and my boy likes to take trains. But we have to end the trip in Osaka. Yet the cheapest ticket from JAL is a connecting flight from Osaka to Narita as well. No direct flight to SIN.

Tks in advance!!
I recommend Randen(Kyoto) and Hankai Tram(Osaka) for your kid. Technically they are more tram than train, but I think your 4yo would not argue with you on that.

These tram runs & share the road with other vehicles. They are generally cheaper but slower.

Another one is Sagano Scenic Train at Arashiyama. Your kid will like it as it is so retro and so Thomas' like. Randen Arashiyama connects to Arashiyama

Sources:
Kyoto’s Retro Trolley:The Keifuku Line | The Kyoto Project
https://jtrams.wordpress.com/categor...ankai-tramway/
Kyoto Travel: Sagano Scenic Railway (Sagano Torokko or Sagano Romantic Train)
Old 16-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #1594
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 6 Osaka to Nara

Tks in advance!!

u dun need the JR pass coz u are only taking shinkansen one-way from Tokyo to Kyoto. u can consider getting the Puratto Kodama discount ticket for shinkansen:
Puratto Kodama: Cheap Shinkansen Tickets | nihonshock

for travelling within the city, there are various passes available for each city. but it depends on where u are going to see if the pass is worth it. u can go without passes also since the transport within the city is relatively cheap.
Osaka pass:
Osaka Amazing Pass 2014

SQ is the only airline that flights direct to Osaka. all other airline need to transit
Old 16-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #1595
Supremacy Member

JAL don't need transit also i think.. =)
Old 17-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #1596
Arch-Supremacy Member

For data sim card, roughly how much is it? My travel is only 6 days.

Is there any telco / provider preferred or should I avoid?
Old 17-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #1597
Arch-Supremacy Member

For data sim card, roughly how much is it? My travel is only 6 days.

Is there any telco / provider preferred or should I avoid?
I used this one, good speed and relatively cheap:
Amazon.co.jp

amazon jp can send to your hotel or konbini.
Old 18-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #1598
Master Member

Any idea if there is morning rush hour on the trains for Saturday? Or just monday to friday?
Because I will be lugging my luggage from Minami-Senju to Ueno via JR Joban line during 7am+ on a Saturday morning.

Have once took JR Joban line at 7am on a weekday and it was seriously no joke. Ever since that experience, I've always tried to avoid morning rush hour on trains.
Old 18-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #1599
Master Member

Hi
Day 4 Kyoto
Day 6 Osaka to Nara

Tks in advance!!
Since your boy likes trains, here are a few train museums which might interest u:
- Railway museum at Omiya (large place with many exhibits, about 30mins train ride from Tokyo)
- Umekoji Steam Locomotive museum in Kyoto (about 20mins walk from Kyoto station)
- Modern Transportation museum at Osaka (next to Bentencho station)
Old 18-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #1600
Supremacy Member

Any idea if there is morning rush hour on the trains for Saturday? Or just monday to friday?
Because I will be lugging my luggage from Minami-Senju to Ueno via JR Joban line during 7am+ on a Saturday morning.

Have once took JR Joban line at 7am on a weekday and it was seriously no joke. Ever since that experience, I've always tried to avoid morning rush hour on trains.
Sat might have a bit of crowd... y u dun take Hibiya line?
Old 18-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #1601

30th jan: - reach narita terminal 1 at 740am
- buy narita express to shinjuku, take metro line to shinjuku Gyogenmae station (citesdine shinjuku)
- activate 7 day JR. Pass to be used on 1st feb to Takayama.
- go harajuku ( lunch +shop around )
- to meiji shrine
- go to shibuya mark city for dinner
- shop around shibuya
- back to hotel

31th jan: - take early train in morning to Tsukiji market for sushi + walk around
- go to odaiba
- back to shinjuku for dinner and shop around
- back to hotel

1st feb: -reach Takayama at 1050am
- drop luggage at best western Takayama.
- go to old town+eat
- back to JR. Station by 15:40 to go for the light up your at shirakawago.
- eat and back to hotel.

2nd feb: - check out best western Takayama( store luggage at the lockers at nouhi bus terminal for a night )
- take nouhi bus bound for shin-hotaka and check in at shinsanzou.
- take nouhi bus to shin hotaka for the ropeway and to the observation point ( if it's poor visibility according to the website, then will go to visit shirakawago, and have lunch there.)

- Around 15:55 take nouhi bus to shin hirayu taruma winter water fall light up.
- at 18:45 take nouhi bus back to shinsanzou for dinner.
- at 20:00, will drive us to visit the nakao igloo festival
- back to shinsanzou at 21:00

3rd feb: depending on the places visited on 2nd feb, will either left Takayama to Osaka via Shinkansen in the early morning or late noon.
- check in monterey hotel osaka
- shop around dotonbori + dinner
4th feb: - osaka
5th feb: -kyoto
- nabana no sato
6th feb: - kyoto
7th feb: osaka
Back to SG

Kindly advise if my itinerary is feasible..
And, may I check, can the luggage lockers at Takayama JR station can fit in a 29inch luggage? Or is it possible to store it at nouhi bus terminal (customer service counter)?
Old 18-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #1602
Supremacy Member

30th jan: - reach narita terminal 1 at 740am
- buy narita express to shinjuku, take metro line to shinjuku Gyogenmae station (citesdine shinjuku)
- activate 7 day JR. Pass to be used on 1st feb to Takayama.
- go harajuku ( lunch +shop around )
- to meiji shrine
- go to shibuya mark city for dinner
- shop around shibuya
- back to hotel
You can activate your JR pass at the airport. No need to wait until u reach Shinjuku...
Day 1 itinerary looks ok.

31th jan: - take early train in morning to Tsukiji market for sushi + walk around
- go to odaiba
- back to shinjuku for dinner and shop around
- back to hotel
OK...

1st feb: -reach Takayama at 1050am
- drop luggage at best western Takayama.
- go to old town+eat
- back to JR. Station by 15:40 to go for the light up your at shirakawago.
- eat and back to hotel.
How are you heading from Tokyo to Takayama? U wanna wake up at 430am?

2nd feb: - check out best western Takayama( store luggage at the lockers at nouhi bus terminal for a night )
- take nouhi bus bound for shin-hotaka and check in at shinsanzou.
- take nouhi bus to shin hotaka for the ropeway and to the observation point ( if it's poor visibility according to the website, then will go to visit shirakawago, and have lunch there.)

- Around 15:55 take nouhi bus to shin hirayu taruma winter water fall light up.
- at 18:45 take nouhi bus back to shinsanzou for dinner.
- at 20:00, will drive us to visit the nakao igloo festival
- back to shinsanzou at 21:00
If visibility is bad, it will take u at least 2 hours to reach Shirakawago from Shin-hotaka.
Pls try to plan carefully this day. Gifu buses are not so many... maybe 1 per hour only.

3rd feb: depending on the places visited on 2nd feb, will either left Takayama to Osaka via Shinkansen in the early morning or late noon.
- check in monterey hotel osaka
- shop around dotonbori + dinner
seems ok.... It will take u bout 3.5hrs to reach Osaka..

4th feb: - osaka
5th feb: -kyoto
- nabana no sato
6th feb: - kyoto
7th feb: osaka
Back to SG

Kindly advise if my itinerary is feasible..
And, may I check, can the luggage lockers at Takayama JR station can fit in a 29inch luggage? Or is it possible to store it at nouhi bus terminal (customer service counter)?[/QUOTE]

Cannot fit i think... Not possible to store in Nohi Bus terminal.

better to get a data card in case u get lost...
Old 19-01-2015, 01:42 AM   #1603
Master Member

Sat might have a bit of crowd... y u dun take Hibiya line?
Hibiya is going to be less crowded than JR Joban line?
Reason why I'm taking Joban line is because I would be on JR Pass coverage on that day. Am supposedly taking Shinkansen from Ueno to Aomori.
Old 19-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #1604

Hi fellows hwzoners, just got info that i'll be going to Tokyo for company meeting from 12-15 Feb. According to itinerary, we'll be staying at tokyodome hotel.

Well, honestly i'm kinda blind about tokyo and wanna ask fellow forumers on tips & hints. Well, most of the times will be spent on office activities, although night time seems to be free.

Been browsing around, but still out of blue. Please kindly advise for night activities or shopping nearby tokyodome area. Is there any 24hrs donki near tokyodome?

FYI, i'm into anime, computer stuffs & electronic.

Thank you in advance.
Old 19-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #1605
Arch-Supremacy Member

For 7 days travel, what data sim should I get? Light user

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.