HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #1666

I heard from a colleague that duty free items bought from the shops are packed in a sealed bag that indicated tax free (similar to the sealed bag from changi airport duty free shops).

the bag has to be remained intact till we passed the departure and customs gate or else we will be taxed again.. true?
Old 26-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #1667

I heard from a colleague that duty free items bought from the shops are packed in a sealed bag that indicated tax free (similar to the sealed bag from changi airport duty free shops).

the bag has to be remained intact till we passed the departure and customs gate or else we will be taxed again.. true?
yea i wanted to know more about it
planned to buy a tablet to use in japan
Old 26-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #1668

yea i wanted to know more about it
planned to buy a tablet to use in japan
this is the first time i heard of it and based on past experience, i had not came across until my colleague told me so during his latest trip and said this was imposed during their GST hike.
Old 26-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #1669

Yup yup, but if the hotel very big, like few hundred rooms, really can remember every guest, especially since the staff are on rotational shift? That time i stayed at Shinagawa Prince the reception is on 2nd floor but can take lift straight from 1st floor to room level.

Moreover, some ppl may look different from their passport photo if they take those makeover type. very vigilant leh.

Yup yup, just book 1 night, then check-out on 2nd day (leave your luggage with them) and come back to check-in on the 4th day (or to retrieve your luggage if you're staying at another hotel - some hotels allow).

I think Japan quite safe, just don't leave any valuables in your luggage.

Thanks for the info saffronsatire and evilerniex! Both of u have been really helpful in sharing your knowledge towards my trip planning. At least i have some rough idea on where and how to plan for the trip. Once i confirmed on my flight tix (probably next month) and draft up the full itinerary, i will probably ask u guys on the feedback again
Old 26-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #1670
Master Member

Visit Japan with Visa

For the uninitiated.
Old 26-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #1671
Greater Supremacy Member

how are the power outlets like over there?

'sic forever
Old 26-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #1672
Arch-Supremacy Member

how are the power outlets like over there?
Electricity in Japan
Old 26-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #1673
Greater Supremacy Member

ooh thanks, gotta dig out my bag of assorted adapters

going on 6th feb, first time there and solo as well

'sic forever
Old 26-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #1674
Master Member

Is it worthwhile to buy the Toyoko Inn membership for the sake of direct (6-mth) advanced booking? Anyone bought?
Old 26-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #1675

Is it worthwhile to buy the Toyoko Inn membership for the sake of direct (6-mth) advanced booking? Anyone bought?
You get 1 free night for every 10 nights. And it can be accumulated
Old 26-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #1676
Master Member

From my personal view, accommodation is part of the holiday experience. While staying in cheap business hotel is an experience, I find all Toyoko hotels are too sterile and similar. There are a wealth of other budget hotels all over Japan and many offer competitive pricing to the Toyoko chains.

I have stayed in several Toyoko hotels but I also enjoyed staying in Super Hotels, Richmond Hotels, Dormy Inns, etc. That said, if budget is really a big concern, 1500 JPY for free stay after 10 stays and 20% off on Sundays is a pretty good deal.
Old 26-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #1677
Arch-Supremacy Member

there is a 20% off for sundays and 5% off for other days. can easily cover the cost of the membership with that, especially if u stay in toyoko-inn often
Old 26-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #1678
Master Member

I'm considering Toyoko Inn bcos i liked their Shinagawa location. Haven't stayed before and not sure if I'll stay again.

Maybe I should just keep checking back on booking.com if I don't want to get the membership just for the 6-mth advanced booking.

But still considering other hotels also. Shortlisted Sotetsu Fresa Inn and some others for Tokyo. I really liked Shinagawa Prince but it seems that their November prices are rather high.

Dormy Inn's Harajuku branch I don't quite like. Not that cheap and the cheapest room damn small. Location far from train station and hard to find as well.
Old 26-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #1679
Supremacy Member

My hotel 4000 yen, u wanna try?
Old 26-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #1680

Hello.
Been lurking around hardwarezone for awhile, creating account to ask questions

Going to tokyo institute of technology(titech) for 6 months for exchange, been searching for sharehouses or dom, but have been overwhelmed by the number of choices, especially for sharehouses.

Wonder if there are any reccomendations for sharehouse companies with positive experiences i can look for?
have a maximum budget of 80k yen (with all the upfront, management fee or whatnots in, not very sure how its calculated.)

Thanks in advance~
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.