HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #2176
Master Member

i am intending to get a new camera, advisable to get in SG first or purchase there maybe cheaper? *just general qns as i have not decided on which model or brand to get* but looking at sony or nikon. any disadvantages of getting electronic products in japan?

r the tokyo banana sold at the departure airport same as those we can find elsewhere in tokyo?
because i understand there is a short expiry date so no point to buy too early if they are the same.

i am looking at the transport to snow monkey park. so is this correct - JR from shinjuku to tokyo station, then take the Shinkansen to nagano, then take a dentetsu train to yudanaka station. from the station walk about 20 to 30 mins to the snow monkey park. Did i missed out any steps?

thank you!
I am not sure about Nikon but Sony only have Japanese menu for its local sets. No international warranty. Only Canon can choose menu and yes, it's cheaper there. If you are into lenses, they are cheaper, especially second hand ones and still in good condition.
Old 29-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #2177

hi,can i ask about air ticket ?i'm planning for my mar 2016 trip,i wanna fly from singapore to hakodate ( i only want to go hakodate)
as i saw SQ having promotion now, i was thinking
is it better to purchase from SQ then buy ANA 10800yen fare (but i don't know still will have this promo for march) or should i just buy direct from ana/jal ? can give me advise please,Thanks
Old 29-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #2178
Master Member

Any cash card system while rent a car n travelling from tokyo to nagano? Where can buy? 7/11?

Payment of toll vis cash? Suica can be use?

Last edited by gentoro; 29-04-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Old 29-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #2179
Arch-Supremacy Member

i am intending to get a new camera, advisable to get in SG first or purchase there maybe cheaper? *just general qns as i have not decided on which model or brand to get* but looking at sony or nikon. any disadvantages of getting electronic products in japan?
Would kindly suggest you to take a look discussion thread and look at my replies on posts #7 and #14 respectively. It should answer your doubts pretty well regarding purchasing Sony cameras in Japan.

I currently use the Sony A6000 and have personally owned a couple of their Cybershot series P&S cams in the past. Can certainly tell you Sony has no bilingual lang support in their cameras for sure, so if you are not japanese-literate or comfortable with the language, you can drop the idea of buying the bodies in JP itself. I don't use Nikon bodies personally, but have a couple of friends ard me who uses Nikon and can confirm with you that their camera bodies does come with bilingual lang support with English/Japanese menu available.

If you wish to take my real advice, my personal suggestion for you would be to just purchase the camera body locally here in SG, and grab your lenses over there in JP. (assuming you are getting either brand maker's mirrorless ILC setup or DLSR setup) As camera lenses/accessories often have significant price savings over the local store counterparts, it is quite worthwhile to purchase in Japan during your vacation trips there. Camera bodies, my personal take on this is I do not believe it is worth it to skip over the 15 months of aftersales support/warranty repairs in order to just save that 200-300 bucks.
dimitri_can likes this.
Old 29-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #2180

Great advices, thanks guys. I shall just buy in sg cause I am not buying those dlsr camera, just point and shoot type.to save hassle I should just get it locally.
Old 30-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #2181

Cassiopeia Overnight Train

Hello

Any Japan experts here can advise who can I use to assist in booking Cassiopeia overnight train from Tokyo to Hokkaido? From my understanding, this can only be booked 30 days in advance in Japan, either at the ticket counter or a tour agency.

Am planning to take this train in mid July.

Thanks!
Old 30-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #2182
Supremacy Member

Hello

Any Japan experts here can advise who can I use to assist in booking Cassiopeia overnight train from Tokyo to Hokkaido? From my understanding, this can only be booked 30 days in advance in Japan, either at the ticket counter or a tour agency.

Am planning to take this train in mid July.

Thanks!
samtcy should be able to advise
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #2183
Master Member

Would kindly suggest you to take a look discussion thread and look at my replies on posts #7 and #14 respectively. It should answer your doubts pretty well regarding purchasing Sony cameras in Japan.

I currently use the Sony A6000 and have personally owned a couple of their Cybershot series P&S cams in the past. Can certainly tell you Sony has no bilingual lang support in their cameras for sure, so if you are not japanese-literate or comfortable with the language, you can drop the idea of buying the bodies in JP itself. I don't use Nikon bodies personally, but have a couple of friends ard me who uses Nikon and can confirm with you that their camera bodies does come with bilingual lang support with English/Japanese menu available.

If you wish to take my real advice, my personal suggestion for you would be to just purchase the camera body locally here in SG, and grab your lenses over there in JP. (assuming you are getting either brand maker's mirrorless ILC setup or DLSR setup) As camera lenses/accessories often have significant price savings over the local store counterparts, it is quite worthwhile to purchase in Japan during your vacation trips there. Camera bodies, my personal take on this is I do not believe it is worth it to skip over the 15 months of aftersales support/warranty repairs in order to just save that 200-300 bucks.
I am using A6k too and found the lenses there much cheaper, especially the 2nd hand ones which are still in great condition.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #2184
Master Member

are there any useful mobile apps for a tourist in japan?

does hyperdia have one?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #2185
Master Member

I am not sure about Nikon but Sony only have Japanese menu for its local sets. No international warranty. Only Canon can choose menu and yes, it's cheaper there. If you are into lenses, they are cheaper, especially second hand ones and still in good condition.
Canon got English menu. The made in Japan model is very cheap (unless I see wrongly coz the title on price tag a bit weird..) but others are slightly cheaper.Wanted to buy in Japan but couldn't decide on the model and e slight difference in price on some of the models vs no intl warranty not too attractive for me so no buy

As for tokyo banana, can get tax free at haneda including some of the special ones. But I think u can go to tokyo banana website and see which outlet sell which flavour.

Last edited by hoshiyume; 01-05-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #2186
Master Member

are there any useful mobile apps for a tourist in japan?

does hyperdia have one?
Hyperdia for iPhone allows u to try their app for 30days upon download
Very useful
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #2187

Hi all, I'm in Tokyo now n gg back tmrw evening via Haneda. Can I confirm if need to show my purchases to e japan customs? The tax free shops had already gave me e tax refunds n told me that no need to show purchases at e airport, seems that customs ppl will just take away e duplicate forms in e passport. True?

Thk u all in advance for e advice.

Last edited by xtc1977; 02-05-2015 at 05:07 AM..
Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #2188
Master Member

Hi all, I'm in Tokyo now n gg back tmrw evening via Haneda. Can I confirm if need to show my purchases to e japan customs? The tax free shops had already gave me e tax refunds n told me that no need to show purchases at e airport, seems that customs ppl will just take away e duplicate forms in e passport. True?

Thk u all in advance foe e advice, ******************
Customs at haneda told me to diy tear out the papers stapled to my ppt n put in the box where many have done the same. He didn't look at my tax refunded food and watch
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #2189

The last time i book shibuya tobu hotel, it was only 90 dollars per night. This time I am staying with airbnb in Nakano which is just a stop away from Shinjuku, 44 dollars a night for a private room.
Um hope you don't mind. May I ask when are you going? Heading alone? How much cash are you bringing over? Thanks xx.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #2190
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am using A6k too and found the lenses there much cheaper, especially the 2nd hand ones which are still in great condition.
Yup it's a great MILC setup, moved up from my prev NEX-5N body and it does fit all my current shooting needs very well. Am not a hardcore hobbyist in terms of photography so did not see the need to go straight for A7r or A7s despite that I have personally played with those bodies in local stores here as well and do appreciate its overall IQ/handing features very much too.

Yeah one can often find great lense deals over at MapCamera or Fujiya-Camera if you happen to be shopping ard Shinjuku or Nakano area. For my camera-related purchases I will almost always go these 2 places first whenever I am in JP, although generally I have to admit BicCamera/Yodobashi store outlets are still excellent places for checking out camera bodies/lenses if you wish to hands-on them first before deciding on whether to purchase one.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.