Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #3271
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi TS,

this is regarding itinerary. I have not come up with a detailed itinerary yet, because i want to hear some suggestions from you guys if i may regarding the following:

i will be travelling to japan with my gf from 29dec - 9 jan.
from 29dec - 3 jan will be at tokyo, then 3 jan - 7 jan will be at osaka/kyoto, and 7-9jan back to tokyo.

first leg of the trip at tokyo:
1. what is a good place to countdown to the new year?

2. i see many sample itineraries at the other itinerary thread, noticed many people going to disneysea instead of disneyland. why? i've been to disneyland in HK, are those 2 places the same thats why people are opting to go disneysea instead?

3. lets say (though i dont think we'll do it) that we want to go skiing and we know nuts about skiing, is there a place in tokyo where we can go?

4. how about mt fuji? i dont intend to climb it (i'll die of exhaustion), but just maybe get close to it or even just step on it. how do we go about doing that? i have never seen snow in my entire life and i hope to bump into some snow there.

for osaka/kyoto and the return leg back to tokyo, guess we'll just stick to sightseeing and eating and shopping basically. not intending to go USJ.

thanks in advance for your valued opinion.
since you make a round trip for Tokyo-Osaka/Kyoto-Tokyo, its best that you get the 7 days JR pass. You can go Yuzawa on your 8th Jan. High chance you can play some snow there.

http://www.e-yuzawa.gr.jp/english/index.html
Old 24-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #3272
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi TS,

this is regarding itinerary. I have not come up with a detailed itinerary yet, because i want to hear some suggestions from you guys if i may regarding the following:

i will be travelling to japan with my gf from 29dec - 9 jan.
from 29dec - 3 jan will be at tokyo, then 3 jan - 7 jan will be at osaka/kyoto, and 7-9jan back to tokyo.

first leg of the trip at tokyo:
1. what is a good place to countdown to the new year?

2. i see many sample itineraries at the other itinerary thread, noticed many people going to disneysea instead of disneyland. why? i've been to disneyland in HK, are those 2 places the same thats why people are opting to go disneysea instead?

3. lets say (though i dont think we'll do it) that we want to go skiing and we know nuts about skiing, is there a place in tokyo where we can go?

4. how about mt fuji? i dont intend to climb it (i'll die of exhaustion), but just maybe get close to it or even just step on it. how do we go about doing that? i have never seen snow in my entire life and i hope to bump into some snow there.

for osaka/kyoto and the return leg back to tokyo, guess we'll just stick to sightseeing and eating and shopping basically. not intending to go USJ.

thanks in advance for your valued opinion.
1. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html
u can join the crowd shrines such as meiji shrine. or maybe go to some pubs/clubs for countdown

2. disneysea is unique, only one in the world, whereas there are many Disneyland ard. many rides in Disneyland are common throughout the world. Disneyland also cater more to children, whereas the rides in disneysea are more adult orientated.

3. Tokyo doesn't snow much, so there is no ski resorts. u will need to head out to places like mt Fuji or gala yuzawa for skiing

4. u can head to lake kawaguchi for view of mt Fuji. then go up to fifth station if u want to set foot on mt fuji
Old 24-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #3273
Supremacy Member

6x dslr should be ok.

3x powerbanks wont be
Old 24-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #3274

Quick question: to travel to Otsuki station using JR chuo line and the Fujikyu Railway line to Kawaguchiko station station will it be covered if I only use SUICA or PASMO?and can SUICA or PASMO take the buses in Fuji?if it's covered though, u all think more worth it to buy the 5600JPY Mount Fuji round trip ticket instead?
Old 24-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #3275

Many thanks for the information.

I have a second question. Would it be okay to bring power bank up to the plane from Singapore and vice versa.

I intend to bring 3x 16000 xiaomi power bank and x6 1000 dslr battery.
put power bank in carry on safer. Fren and I flew to Taiwan on Scoot, then he put his power bank in the checked in luggage and we prepared to board the plane. Then the check in counter person announced his name; turned out that the security checked that his power bank was not supposed to be in the luggage.
Old 24-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #3276

For mt Fuji, should go free and easy or take package better? Looking at a day trip there and back
Old 24-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #3277

6x dslr should be ok.

3x powerbanks wont be
Many thanks, I will search for another solution.
Old 24-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #3278
Master Member

Many thanks, I will search for another solution.
Believe the rule only applies to check in luggage

Hand carry is acceptable.

They do not apply to lithium batteries in devices. Only lithium batteries packed by themselves in check in luggage.

The problem is two cargo 747s were lost due to thermal runaway in a large shipment of lithium battery. One lithium battery thermal runaway is not a big deal, each battery has sufficiently designed safeguards to prevent explosion.

But in a large densely packed shipping pallet or container, thermal runaway means the heat from one thermal runaway can cascade and become a extremely hot, extremely fast burning fire. Cannot extinguish before halon systems kick in

Six dslr and 3 powerbanks on one person will be very suspicious. But if you spread them across the group and explain, you will be fine.
Old 24-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #3279
Master Member

Source: sq FAQ on lithium batteries
Old 24-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #3280
Master Member

anyone knows if umbrella can carry on to plane?

i saw a lot of very nice umbrellas in kyoto ( full size type) but i want to buy but i dun dare to check in 1 single umbrella haha...
Old 24-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #3281
Master Member

anyone knows if umbrella can carry on to plane?

i saw a lot of very nice umbrellas in kyoto ( full size type) but i want to buy but i dun dare to check in 1 single umbrella haha...
can. have brought the full length (1.1m i think) mt fuji trekking pole as handcarry luggage before

they will insist that you check in, but if you insist they be held responsible for any damage, they will allow you to hand carry

once on board, ask the stewardess politely. they usually have a closet or space to hang coats, guitars and other long odd shaped objects.
Old 25-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #3282
Master Member

put power bank in carry on safer. Fren and I flew to Taiwan on Scoot, then he put his power bank in the checked in luggage and we prepared to board the plane. Then the check in counter person announced his name; turned out that the security checked that his power bank was not supposed to be in the luggage.
Yeah Power banks don't leave it in checked luggage.
Old 25-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #3283
Master Member

Will be at kyoto for 2 days 1 night ftom feb 1. I am staying within walking disrance from kyoto stn.

On the 1st full day.
It is ok to visit Fushimi Inari Shrine in the morning, followed by ginzakuji on the northern side and follow by Kiyomizudera Temple last . May I know how much time needed for each attractions?

On my 2nd days, I will be departing to osaka after 3pm and use luggage locker service at kyoto stn. So it is ok to do Arashiyama and kinkakuji from the morning till mid afternoon? Or should I just concentrate just kinkakuji?

TIA.
Old 26-11-2015, 12:48 AM   #3284
Master Member

since you make a round trip for Tokyo-Osaka/Kyoto-Tokyo, its best that you get the 7 days JR pass. You can go Yuzawa on your 8th Jan. High chance you can play some snow there.

http://www.e-yuzawa.gr.jp/english/index.html
yeah will be getting the JR 7 day pass since we will be staying at Osaka for 4 nights and will be using that as a base to Kyoto and Kobe/Nara.

Yuzawa can use the JR pass to take train there from Tokyo?
Old 26-11-2015, 12:50 AM   #3285
Master Member

1. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html
u can join the crowd shrines such as meiji shrine. or maybe go to some pubs/clubs for countdown

2. disneysea is unique, only one in the world, whereas there are many Disneyland ard. many rides in Disneyland are common throughout the world. Disneyland also cater more to children, whereas the rides in disneysea are more adult orientated.

3. Tokyo doesn't snow much, so there is no ski resorts. u will need to head out to places like mt Fuji or gala yuzawa for skiing

4. u can head to lake kawaguchi for view of mt Fuji. then go up to fifth station if u want to set foot on mt fuji
thanks for your detailed information. appreciated.

regarding mt Fuji, where can I buy bus tickets to head to fifth station from Tokyo? I saw one bus website it says no buses will be going to gift station during winter
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.