Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iminalost

Reaction score
hi! i'm flying to tokyo narita at around mid-late nov. which place is great for autumn foliage? can be outside tokyo also.

jooyeo

Reaction score
going 7 days to osaka,

first 4 days to kyoto and then to osaka & explore nara & kobe.

which pass to buy? is it true that we got to buy in SG? Japan doesn;t sell it?

water88

Reaction score
Kyoto

Where is the must visit in Kyoto?

Plan go in morning , back night to Osaka.
Becos accommodation is in Osaka, Namba.

lillyelf

Reaction score
going 7 days to osaka,

first 4 days to kyoto and then to osaka & explore nara & kobe.

which pass to buy? is it true that we got to buy in SG? Japan doesn;t sell it?

don't think you need a pass, but if you plan to take the subway lines a lot within kyoto, osaka and kobe, the Kansai thru pass might be worth it. also, you can use on non-consecutive days. JR doesn't allow internal subway use and you have to use on consecutive days.

KANSAI THRU PASS (English) | Ticket&Goods | SURUTTO KANSAI

best way to check, use hyperdia to plan your itinerary and see if you can max out 5000 yen over 3 days. if not, just buy day passes from each place you're in. osaka's sat/sun subway pass esp is very good value.

jooyeo

Reaction score
don't think you need a pass, but if you plan to take the subway lines a lot within kyoto, osaka and kobe, the Kansai thru pass might be worth it. also, you can use on non-consecutive days. JR doesn't allow internal subway use and you have to use on consecutive days.

KANSAI THRU PASS (English) | Ticket&Goods | SURUTTO KANSAI

best way to check, use hyperdia to plan your itinerary and see if you can max out 5000 yen over 3 days. if not, just buy day passes from each place you're in. osaka's sat/sun subway pass esp is very good value.

thanks! day passes can be bought in japan itself? i read that somewhere that JR passes have to be bought in SG and collect in japan. Is it true?

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where is the must visit in Kyoto?

Plan go in morning , back night to Osaka.
Becos accommodation is in Osaka, Namba.

Kyoto can go

Kyomizudera then go Gion
Fushimi Inari
You will have to plan it out a little as both sites are worth spending quite a bit of time at.

It is not impossible to do Kyoto as a day trip, though some members here would say that Kyoto is good enough to spend several days at.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks! day passes can be bought in japan itself? i read that somewhere that JR passes have to be bought in SG and collect in japan. Is it true?

it depends on the pass, some can only be bought here, while others have to be bought in japan.

kansai thru pass can be bought in japan. refer to the list of places selling the pass in the link provided by lillyelf

jooyeo

Reaction score
it depends on the pass, some can only be bought here, while others have to be bought in japan.

kansai thru pass can be bought in japan. refer to the list of places selling the pass in the link provided by lillyelf

yay, i gone thru quite a no of sites as well. but still not sure abt the train station in japan.

i saw some passes around $6k Yen while others is like $28K yen.
i am going osaka, kyoto, nara & kobe.. and i saw kansia west pass is quite worth - $6k yen for 4 days. but i hear that buy unlimited JR pass also..

which do u all buy?

one of the links i saw:
http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?ap=j0095g
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yay, i gone thru quite a no of sites as well. but still not sure abt the train station in japan.

i am going osaka, kyoto, nara & kobe.. and i saw kansia west pass is quite worth - $6k yen for 4 days. but i hear that buy unlimited JR pass also..

which do u all buy?

one of the links i saw:
JR Pass, Japan Rail Pass : Order your Japan Rail Pass
Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass)
Rail Passes in Japan

u can use hyperdia website to check out the cost of ur trips, and see if the passes are worth it compared to buying single tickets

JR pass is usually worth it if u are taking shinkansen and travelling long distance. e.g tokyo to osaka and back.

for the places u are going, u dun really need any pass. maybe just get the kansai thru pass to cover the trip from kansai airport to kyoto or osaka

lillyelf

Reaction score

which do u all buy?

one of the links i saw:
JR Pass, Japan Rail Pass : Order your Japan Rail Pass
Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass)
Rail Passes in Japan

JR West pass is useful only if you're traveling between many prefectures in one day. It's not very worth it if you plan one day to Nara, one day to Kobe. If you plan to do a lot of sightseeing in one city, it's more worth it to buy the Kansai thru pass because you can take the city subway and buses. Kobe subway is not cheap.

If you're going to Kyoto directly from the airport, though, I suggest you buy a 1-day JR west pass. It's possible to use the Kansai thru pass but you need to transfer between lines which might be complicated for a first-timer.

coldmilk

Reaction score
If you're going to Kyoto directly from the airport, though, I suggest you buy a 1-day JR west pass. It's possible to use the Kansai thru pass but you need to transfer between lines which might be complicated for a first-timer.

If you're going to Kyoto directly from the airport and not using JR trains on the same day, then it is cheaper to buy the ICOCA and Haruka pass.

One way cost 3,000 yen which come with a 2,000 yen Icoca card, thus effecting costing you 1,000 yen for the ride on the Kansai-Airport Express "HARUKA" train to Kyoto.

Last edited:

lillyelf

Reaction score
If you're going to Kyoto directly from the airport and not using JR trains on the same day, then it is cheaper to buy the ICOCA and Haruka pass.

One way cost 3,000 yen which come with a 2,000 yen Icoca card, thus effecting costing you 1,000 yen for the ride on the Kansai-Airport Express "HARUKA" train to Kyoto.

Oh, that's a great deal! Note that 500 yen is the deposit on the card, so if you want to bring it home as a souvenir, you can't cash it in. 4000 yen for the return ticket is a good deal too.

coldmilk

Reaction score
Oh, that's a great deal! Note that 500 yen is the deposit on the card, so if you want to bring it home as a souvenir, you can't cash it in. 4000 yen for the return ticket is a good deal too.

Yes the return ticket offer teh best deal if you intend to return via the Haruka express to KIX. I will be buying the return tickets for my coming trip to Osaka/Kyoto.

One more thing, the ICOCA and Haruka pass only come in adult ticket. For child, it may be better to buy the JR West 1 day child pass.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
outlets... if got special discount mall wide can find good stuff...

prepare your wallet :s13:

Quite a lot of outlets, but only have time for one. So asking around to decide which one to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.