Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaming

Reaction score
sounds good.
does ur sweater or jacket have a hood? if not getting a ear muff will be good. anyway, can just get cheapo ear muff from daiso

Might get down jacket and it comes with hood. If im wearing HEATTECH long sleeve tshirt, should i get cashmere sweater or just normal sweater will do?

Anyway earmuff is to protect the ear from getting cold? Ear will hurts if its cold? Because i know my nose will feel uncomfortable if the weather is cold :s8:

Dreaming

Reaction score
The thing is, are you doing skiing, snow trekking and the likes? If not, don't need to bother with heattech. Just layer with tee, fleece sweater, fleece jacket, down jacket. Throw on a thin windbreaker if it's too windy. That's more than enough. You will be constantly going in and out of buildings and trains, and these places won't be freezing. In fact, you'll have to remove the outer layers when you are indoors if you don't want to start sweating.

Heattech may make you feel too warm indoors, and some people's skin don't react well to heattech material.

Not skiing but im not sure where we will be going as the trip not plan by me =:p

How about tee + cashmere sweater + down jacket?

thwysg

Reaction score
Since all of you are talking about winter wear, I'm heading to areas which might have snow from mid Feb to early March, whole of Izu area and either Matsumoto or Nikko or Tohoku (using JR East Pass). First time in Japan for late winter/ early spring.

I have a base layer and a waterproof jacket which comes with inner fleece jacket, plus gloves. Is that good enough for anything below 0°? How about boots? Would be wearing sneakers while in Izu. Or do I need more? Simply wear boots throughout the trip instead?

Last edited:

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Not skiing but im not sure where we will be going as the trip not plan by me =:p

How about tee + cashmere sweater + down jacket?

I personally feel cashmere doesn't do the job for me, but I think it varies from person to person. You can do that - and if it's not enough, just pop by dept store in Japan to get a fleece jacket to go under your down jacket. Or, if it's the wind that's making you very cold, buy a windbreaker and wear over your down jacket.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Since all of you are talking about winter wear, I'm heading to areas which might have snow from mid Feb to early March, whole of Izu area and either Matsumoto or Nikko or Tohoku (using JR East Pass). First time in Japan for late winter/ early spring.

I have a base layer and a waterproof jacket which comes with inner fleece jacket (which I , plus gloves. Is that good enough for anything below 0°? How about boots? Would be wearing sneakers while in Izu. Or do I need more? Simply wear boots throughout the trip instead?

Yes, what you will be wearing should be enough. I've worn similar layers (no thermals) for temperature under minus 20. Might need bottom thermal if wearing just normal jeans - if you are spending a good deal of time outdoors. If you still find it too cold there, grab another fleece sweater at their stores.

For footwear, get waterproof/goretex outdoor shoes/boots. Mid cut at least if you are sure that it'll be snowing and you have to trudge through snow. Otherwise normal cut will be fine if just walking on city streets (which usually will be cleared of snow daily).

If unsure how much snow or if there'll be snow at all... I guess best is to keep monitoring before the trip. It'll be an absolute bad idea to be wearing sneakers if you have to walk in snow. (I'm monitoring for my trip too, only one night stay at Shirakawago but I'm not sure if it'll snow. Have to wait till nearer to my trip to see how's the weather and decide whether to wear my North Face outdoor boots which hurt my soles due to no cushion support, or to wear my normal sneakers for the whole trip. :( )

If it's snowing, you might need a beanie. But usual advice applies... If you have one in sg, just bring it over. If you don't, then don't get one in SG. Go there first to determine if you need it. If yes, buy there instead.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anyway earmuff is to protect the ear from getting cold? Ear will hurts if its cold? Because i know my nose will feel uncomfortable if the weather is cold :s8:

Yes, ears hurt real bad when it's very very windy at below 0 degrees. At that temperature, I doubt you'll even feel anything with your nose. It'll just leak without you noticing it, probably. But that's at minus degrees...

Just to add on something about ear muffs. My friends in Finland scoffed at ear muffs, they said those fluffy things only look cute but useless. So I personally have not used them before. I'm pretty sure ear warmers will work, just maybe not those pastel furry ear muffs at Daiso. I believe some Japanese xmm will still wear those, not because it's useful but because it fits their outfits. :D

But then again, I must reiterate I have not used them before and can't confirm that they are really useless. Might need others to chip in their experience regarding those ear muffs.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have actually used Daiso ear muffs and they work like a charm in Hokkaido !

much better than a beanie I had

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i used daiso ear muff as well as daiso beanie when i was in germany during winter with -ve temp. works well enuf.
mine is the simple disc kind tt goes behind the head... not the furry headphone kind :s13:

Dreaming

Reaction score
I personally feel cashmere doesn't do the job for me, but I think it varies from person to person. You can do that - and if it's not enough, just pop by dept store in Japan to get a fleece jacket to go under your down jacket. Or, if it's the wind that's making you very cold, buy a windbreaker and wear over your down jacket.

Yes, ears hurt real bad when it's very very windy at below 0 degrees. At that temperature, I doubt you'll even feel anything with your nose. It'll just leak without you noticing it, probably. But that's at minus degrees...

Just to add on something about ear muffs. My friends in Finland scoffed at ear muffs, they said those fluffy things only look cute but useless. So I personally have not used them before. I'm pretty sure ear warmers will work, just maybe not those pastel furry ear muffs at Daiso. I believe some Japanese xmm will still wear those, not because it's useful but because it fits their outfits. :D

But then again, I must reiterate I have not used them before and can't confirm that they are really useless. Might need others to chip in their experience regarding those ear muffs.

Wa need wear so many things under down jacket. Does that mean i had to buy a size bigger down jacket?

I'm going there for 10 nights. Does that mean i have to bring more cashmere sweaters / sweaters? :eek:

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Wa need wear so many things under down jacket. Does that mean i had to buy a size bigger down jacket?

I'm going there for 10 nights. Does that mean i have to bring more cashmere sweaters / sweaters? :eek:

? You are not going to sweat unless you wear thermals. If you don't sweat, why need to bring so many to change? Haha I dunno la, that's up to individual. For me, I can wear the same sweater for 2 weeks those times when I went Finland, no issue. I can wear same tee for 2-3 days. You really don't sweat that much in winter. Just that when I came back and hand-washed my clothes, they were very very oily coz I slapped on a lot a lot of body lotion before I went out everyday. If not the skin will get dry and flaky patches all around at the end of the day, even tho it's under the clothes. That's how harsh their winter was for my skin.

All the layers under your down jacket won't have to be very thick leh. Like I said, for base layering, its the layers that count, not the material. Material only comes to play for outer shells. But of coz down jacket shouldn't buy tight or even just nice. Should always go for one size bigger at least, if you don't want to look like bak zhang at the end of the day. :eek:

Dreaming

Reaction score
? You are not going to sweat unless you wear thermals. If you don't sweat, why need to bring so many to change? Haha I dunno la, that's up to individual. For me, I can wear the same sweater for 2 weeks those times when I went Finland, no issue. I can wear same tee for 2-3 days. You really don't sweat that much in winter. Just that when I came back and hand-washed my clothes, they were very very oily coz I slapped on a lot a lot of body lotion before I went out everyday. If not the skin will get dry and flaky patches all around at the end of the day, even tho it's under the clothes. That's how harsh their winter was for my skin.

All the layers under your down jacket won't have to be very thick leh. Like I said, for base layering, its the layers that count, not the material. Material only comes to play for outer shells. But of coz down jacket shouldn't buy tight or even just nice. Should always go for one size bigger at least, if you don't want to look like bak zhang at the end of the day. :eek:

Oh.. I guess I will just bring 2-3 sweaters and more Tees. Lol of course don't want to look like back zhang..

iamnagel

Reaction score
Hi I check on Hyperdia that taking NEX from Narita to Shibuya is 1490 yen but narita website states 3190 yen.

There is also a round trip ticket for 4000 yen. If the ticket price is 1490 yen then don't make sense to buy the round trip ticket.

But now I dunno which price is correct.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For the first trip, usually we tend to overpack our stuffs. But if you are travelling just Tokyo only, usually one can withstand with a basic Uniqlo thermal, sweater and jacket. You can get wool/cashmere sweater for that extra warmth but it all depends on the jacket.

A good jacket is important. Best is to have a jacket that has a down inner layer with a wind-proof front.

For 10 days, perhaps 2 sweaters/long sleeves and 2-3 thermals. You dont need to bring so many as most of hte time when you take pics, only the jacket can be seen.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi I check on Hyperdia that taking NEX from Narita to Shibuya is 1490 yen but narita website states 3190 yen.

There is also a round trip ticket for 4000 yen. If the ticket price is 1490 yen then don't make sense to buy the round trip ticket.

But now I dunno which price is correct.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

when using hyperdia, just look at the 'Total'.

1490yen is only the ticket fee, there is also a seat fee, which is applicable to limited express and shinkansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.