HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #3961
Master Member

Anyone can advise for Singapore Airline, the check-in baggage weight limit is 30kg for economy class.

Can I check in 2 baggage with their total weight under 30kg? Cos the website did not clearly indicate.

TIA
Yup of cos you can
Old 28-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #3962
Master Member

1. yup, 7 days is just right for Tokyo. u can make 1 or 2 side trips to nearby places such as hakone and yokohama too

2. good to stay near stations along the JR Yamanote line coz tt is the main line u will be using to get ard Tokyo. popular places to stay will be Shinjuku, ueno, shinagawa.
japan is cramping down on airbnb. not sure if there is going to be problem in the future.

3. train. cab is way too expensive in japan. by HSR u mean their bullet train (aka shinkansen)? shinkansen is mainly for travelling long distance out of the city and it is expensive.

if u really want to take shinkansen, u can consider getting JR Tokyo wide pass and using if for shinkansen to utsunomiya (for nikko). and use if for other side trips such as to hakone.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

however, this is not the most cost effective way coz there are other passes that covers some of these places (e.g. hakone free pass, tobu nikko free pass), just that they do not include shinkansen. so getting this pass is more because u want to experience shinkansen

Any hotels to recommend at shinjuku area.... Thanks...
Old 28-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #3963
Supremacy Member

I would like to know, what would make for a good omiyage from Singapore?

I am giving them to my Japanese parent-in-laws; yes, I've asked the wife, but she doesn't have a clue what to get although we joked of getting some tourist trinket from Melissa Zakka here.
Old 28-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #3964
Arch-Supremacy Member

I would like to know, what would make for a good omiyage from Singapore?

I am giving them to my Japanese parent-in-laws; yes, I've asked the wife, but she doesn't have a clue what to get although we joked of getting some tourist trinket from Melissa Zakka here.
the ones i've tried before:

vacuum packed bakkwa
chicken rice / laksa premix
pineapple tarts
Old 28-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #3965

Hi, may I check, to travel around in Tokyo, do you rely on the JR line or metro subway?

For example from Shinjuku to Asakusa, you can take either the JR line to metro subway. Which is better?
Old 28-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #3966
Master Member

Hi, may I check, to travel around in Tokyo, do you rely on the JR line or metro subway?

For example from Shinjuku to Asakusa, you can take either the JR line to metro subway. Which is better?
Which ever nearer ba. Use Suica card is ok le..
Old 28-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #3967
Arch-Supremacy Member

JR is usually cheaper but more crowded. Metro/Subway is more expensive sometimes faster. If you have JR pass, then sticking to JR can save money. Personally, I live in Tokyo and I take subway/metro more cos I find it more convenient and less crowded.

If subways are confusing, can read this:
http://tokyofromtheinside.com/demyst...tems-of-tokyo/
Old 28-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #3968
Supremacy Member

in my trips as a tourist who dun know the patterns and peak lines/times, I just use whichever line google maps suggests 😝
Old 28-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #3969

JR is usually cheaper but more crowded. Metro/Subway is more expensive sometimes faster. If you have JR pass, then sticking to JR can save money. Personally, I live in Tokyo and I take subway/metro more cos I find it more convenient and less crowded.

If subways are confusing, can read this:
http://tokyofromtheinside.com/demyst...tems-of-tokyo/
Thanks, I did a search and taking metro from Shinjuku to Asakusa is cheaper. Think need to do lotsa homework first before going there.
Old 28-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #3970
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks, I did a search and taking metro from Shinjuku to Asakusa is cheaper. Think need to do lotsa homework first before going there.
just do a search on hyperdia and see wat are the options
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/se...d&sum_target=7

asakusa does not have a JR station and there is no direct train from Shinjuku to asakusa. taking JR train then changing to metro is usually more expensive than having the entire trip on metro or JR
Old 28-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #3971
Greater Supremacy Member

I took yamanote line most of the time
Old 28-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #3972
Master Member

Any hotels to recommend at shinjuku area.... Thanks...
Anyone? Thanks.....
Old 28-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #3973

Anyone? Thanks.....
I stayed at Hotel Gracery Shinjuku. Not cheap though, $200 a night for single bed. It has a big bathroom similar to a Japanese home, area for washing besides the bathtub and the toilet is separated by a glass door instead of shower curtains.

If you don't mind walking, I find that the Tokyu hotel in Tsukiji is great. It is the only hotel I have seen that comes with a washing machine/dryer inside the room. Breakfast is amazing since you are at the doorsteps of Tsukiji outer market. Dinner wise, selection is not as great as Shinjuku.

Last edited by coldkey; 28-03-2016 at 10:01 PM..
Old 28-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #3974

I'm staying at Tokyu Stay Shinjuku which is at Shinjuku 3chome.

Hotel just opened in 2015 and it's pretty well equipped with a washer / dryer and a trouser press. Would recommend this hotel for those wanting to stay in this area.

Stayed for 6 nights and I took the metro around 80% of the time.
chelsea128 likes this.
Old 28-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #3975

just do a search on hyperdia and see wat are the options
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/se...d&sum_target=7

asakusa does not have a JR station and there is no direct train from Shinjuku to asakusa. taking JR train then changing to metro is usually more expensive than having the entire trip on metro or JR
Tokyo Metro has a nice app that works offline. It shows transfers required to travel but not as comprehensive at Hyperdia (not much JR recommendation)

www.tokyometro.jp/en/tips/connectivity/smartphone/index.html
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.