HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #4261
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello! I'm planning to go during late November, got snow anot?? Haha is it very hard to travel around/communicate there? Haven't been to Japan before T.T
unlikely to have snow in November unless u are up high mountains. even hokkaido also may not have started snowing.
however, late nov is the time to see autumn leaves in places like tokyo, osaka, kyoto.

travelling around in big cities is easy coz there are english signs in train stations. most ppl in cities know a bit of english. they may not be comfortable to converse in english with u, but at least shld be able to understand a few key words. so not much of a problem there.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #4262
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, will be bringing kids.

Been to japan last year for 7 days to Osaka and Tokyo. Tokyo was big and didn't manage to visit all of Tokyo.

This time, hope to visit Japan for 12 days in December. Hope to spend 3-4 days in Tokyo as need to go disneyland.

My Question
1) Is the next most logic city to visit Kyoto and Hokkaido?
2) If Tokyo, Kyoto and Hokkaido, which city to go first and which city to go last?
1) no. both kyoto and hokkaido are far from tokyo. travelling to tokyo, kyoto and hokkaido is going to be a challenge since u only have 12 days. either do tokyo with kyoto, or tokyo with hokkaido. or u can just do tokyo with side trips to nearby places such as mt fuj, hakone, nikko, kamakura.

2) if u really must go these 3 places, u can consider getting open-jaw tickets, fly into tokyo, domestic flight to hokkaido, domestic flight from hokkaido to osaka (for kyoto), and depart from osaka
Old 12-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #4263
Banned

1) no. both kyoto and hokkaido are far from tokyo. travelling to tokyo, kyoto and hokkaido is going to be a challenge since u only have 12 days. either do tokyo with kyoto, or tokyo with hokkaido. or u can just do tokyo with side trips to nearby places such as mt fuj, hakone, nikko, kamakura.

2) if u really must go these 3 places, u can consider getting open-jaw tickets, fly into tokyo, domestic flight to hokkaido, domestic flight from hokkaido to osaka (for kyoto), and depart from osaka
Thanks. Will be going tokyo and Hokkaido then. Since Kyoto seems to have lot of temple which the children do not know how to appreciate
Old 12-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #4264
Supremacy Member

Where in Osaka can I find "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar"?
Old 12-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #4265

I just came from Japan with my passport half-stapled with receipts from the shops in Japan... Can I remove these receipts? They are making my passport thick and inconvenient...
Old 13-06-2016, 01:25 AM   #4266
Banned

got bullet train from tokyo to Hokkaido and how much is it and how long is it?

I google and there seems to be sea in between tokyo and hokkaido

I tried to google and it confusing.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #4267

I just came from Japan with my passport half-stapled with receipts from the shops in Japan... Can I remove these receipts? They are making my passport thick and inconvenient...
You were supposed to turn those in at the airport when you left Japan.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #4268
Supremacy Member

If you didnt remove it, just ask the customs officer next time to remove it when u leave Japan again.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #4269

Now that you are home, you can remove them. The immigration officer at Narita remarked that I did a lot of shopping in Japan, but did not collect the receipts. The customs desk was also not manned, so now that I am home, I removed the receipts from my passport.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #4270
High Supremacy Member

At KIX before the custom got a small box for you to remove and deposit those receipts.

Better to do so or else got evidence for singapore custom for GST collection.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #4271
Arch-Supremacy Member

u can use hyperdia to check train schedules in japan:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/se...d&sum_target=7

tokyo to sapporo takes about 9hrs and cost 26620yen (abt $350) one way. however, there are rail passes that can cover the trip, such as the 7-day JR pass, or the JR East South Hokkaido pass.

but it will be cheaper to take domestic flight to hokkaido if u dun intend to visit places in between.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #4272

The tunnel between Hokkaido and Honshu (island with Tokyo) just opened and bullet train service is now available between Tokyo and southern Hokkaido. Since the bullet train does not go all the way to northern Hokkaido and Sapporo at this time, a change of train is necessary at Shin-Hakokdate-Hokuto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokkaido_Shinkansen

Schedule
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/.../ttable/08.pdf

Fare:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Old 13-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #4273
Banned

thanks for the replies. Seem like it really far, expensive, time consuming to go to Hokkaido. Is it worth to go there?
Old 13-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #4274
Supremacy Member

thanks for the replies. Seem like it really far, expensive, time consuming to go to Hokkaido. Is it worth to go there?
No ... why would anyone travel all the way just there just for the freshest seafood, stunning scenery, powder snow, vast open space, crisp clean air, onsen, best pastries, cheaper than many other parts of Japan ?
Old 13-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #4275
Supremacy Member

Take budget airline, very cheap only.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.