Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemo88

Reaction score
Really meh? Can go gion, sanjo jiak watch night view, if not can walk over to karasuma shopping

I think depends on what you like to do bah. Osaka is definitely much more diverse than Kyoto plus if you've been a few times you may just develop preference/habit for one place over the other.

awesomania

Reaction score
Tokyo Wide Pass (¥10,000) might not worth it if you're just heading to one day trip for Izu. You can check the single train ticket fares using Hyperdia.com.

Ok thank you. I was still thinking the tokyo wide pass can be use for Day 3 when travelling from tokyo to kusatsu

awesomania

Reaction score
I think such plan is doing too many things covering too much sites within short 9 days period (Excluding your last day)

I am you, i will either do Tokyo (Kanto surrounding area) or Kansai but not both. 9 days is really short even for Kanto.

I see. Thank you for the advice, I will try to rearrange my itinerary again. At first I tot getting the JR pass and plan to start my dayearly like 6-7am would be good to cover all those areas as I don't plan to visit places like USJ.

awesomania

Reaction score
Just back from my 1st japan trip. it was amazing.

Day 1: Tokyo - reach in evening, walk only Shinjuku area

Day 2: Lake Kawaguchigo see Mt Fuji -> Kyoto (Base)

Day 3: Inari Shrine -> Nara park/Horyuji -> Osaka for dinner -> back to Kyoto sleep

Day 4: Kinkakuji -> Tenryuji/Arashimaya Bamboo Groves -> Osaka Castle

Day 5: Kiyomizudera -> Higashimaya -> Yasaka Shrine -> Gion -> Nikishi Market

Day 6: Head to Tokyo -> Harajuku (base) -> Meiji Shrine -> Shinjuku (Tokyo government building) -> Kabukicho

Day 7: Tokyo Tower -> Tsukiji Market -> Asakusa - > Akihabara

Day 8: Ikebukuro -> Ueno Park

Day 9: Tokyo Imperial Palace -> Haneda Airport

It was snowing in Kyoto a few days and was so beautiful that i forgot my fingers were frozen-numb.
Osaka, personally i do not like..
Harujuku is full of ginna pis xdd and xmm.. its like a far east plaza.. i think its a not bad place for a base.
i cant wait to go Japan again. :s12:

Hi. Thanks for sharing your itinerary. I'm planning my first trip to Japan too and I think alot of the places you visited I'm interested too.:s12:

For your trip, you used JR pass only? Do you find travelling tokyo-kyoto-osaka very rush and pack for you? U travel back to tokyo on Day 6 morning?

Thank you.

Last edited:

butterpoachedlobster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have a question regarding Katte don
Is kushiro the only place where they have katte don?

what about other seafood markets in say, Hakodate?
do they have similar thing to katte don oso?

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
Had anyone tried renting a bike in Kyoto before? Might consider it rather than walking and taking the buses :s13:

thwysg

Reaction score
Ok thank you. I was still thinking the tokyo wide pass can be use for Day 3 when travelling from tokyo to kusatsu

Oh okay. I'm not too familiar about taking trains to Kusatsu Onsen. Usually it's direct highway buses. Seems like Tokyo Wide Pass does cover the trains all the way except the bus. Use Hyperdia.com to check the train fares.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7403.html

Crescy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for sharing your itinerary. I'm planning my first trip to Japan too and I think alot of the places you visited I'm interested too.:s12:

For your trip, you used JR pass only? Do you find travelling tokyo-kyoto-osaka very rush and pack for you? U travel back to tokyo on Day 6 morning?

Thank you.

Yes, i am using a JR pass. i personally think it is super worth it.
cost of the JR pass is less than return shinkansen tickets from Kyoto<->Tokyo.
add in all the short journeys you will be taking on the JR lines.

As for those stations not covered on JR, just buy single tickets (ard 140 yen - 400 yen). or if u do precise planning, you can get a 1 day pass and cover all the important (non-JR line) spots in a day.

kyoto - osaka - nara is at most 1 hour train ride from each other. the only thing i dont like is travelling from Osaka to Kyoto at night. Osaka station is crazy packed with office workers. even at 11pm+ the train platforms are packed with people.

local eateries also packed with office workers, drinking, smoking, chilling inside the stalls.

not that the other places are not crowded or packed, but i feel osaka is the worst of them all.. once i reached back to kyoto, i felt more relaxed..

actually the ride from Tokyo <-> Kyoto is not too bad either.. if i remb its about 3hours+ ride? also, you can reserve a seat for the shinkansen. theres toilets, smoking room, food vendor pushing trolley of food and drinks.

Day 6, i leave Kyoto for Tokyo in the morning. around 9am. avoid morning office hour rush.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well the hustle bustle of major stations in Tokyo area also not easy to get used to

there are reasons why I just want to do the required things (eat specific things, get omiyage, if attending event, then the event) in Tokyo.

I have been there plenty though. It is clear I am there too much when I navigate Akihabara pretty much based on building location....

Crescy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, will be travelling to Japan for the first time during end feb this year. Would like some advice and suggestion for my itinerary. Below is what I have come up with so far.

Day 1: Reach Tokyo - Walk around Hotel area (Shopping,walk around)
Day 2: Tokyo - Izu Penisula (Kawazu Sakura festival)
Day 3: Tokyo - Kusatsu Onsen Town
Day 4: Kusatsu Onsen Town - Kyoto*
Day 4: Kyoto - (Inari Shrine, Kinkakuji, suggestion??
Day 5: Kyoto - (Arashiyama: Bamboo Grove, Sagano Railway) - Nagoya (Evening for Nabano no Sato)
Day 6: Kyoto - Osaka (Dontoburi food street, Osaka Castle)
Day 7: Kyoto - Tokyo
Day 8: Tokyo (Shibuya, Meiji Shrine)
Day 9: Tokyo (Suggestion??)
Day 10: Check out and proceed to airport

Anyone have been to Kusatsu Onsen Town? I planning to stay at Kiyoshigekan Ryonkan as based on my research, that the most affordable ryokan around with private onsen.

Planning to get Tokyo Wide pass for Day 1 -3 and JR pass for Day 4 to day 10 where I go from Kusatsu to Kyoto.

Appreciate all advice and suggestion. Thanks!

not sure if you are aware, but i will just point out. On your Day 4, Kusatsu Onsen Town -> Kyoto, will pass by Tokyo again.
the JR shinkansen only travels along the southern coast.
So, your route will be like this:
from Tokyo -> up north to Kusatsu -> then back to Tokyo -> transfer to shinkansen to Kyoto.

its up to you to decide if it is worth the time. :s12:

Last edited:

imt204

Reaction score
i will be going to kyushu this coming march for 8 days. for all 8 days, i will be station at fukuoka and had already booked my lodging. please help me see if the itenery is alright.

Jr northern kyushu pass will be use for 5 days of this trip.

Day 1:
touch down at fukuoka, sightseeing around hakata, nakasu and tenjin.

Day 2 (JR Pass) :
train to yufuin
yufuin - floral village , kinrin lake
hita - mamedamachi
back to hakata

Day 3 (JR Pass) :
train to kokura
kokura - kokura castle
mojiko - walk around mojiko, kanmon tunnel
back to hakata

Day 4 (JR Pass) :
train to kanzaki
kanzaki - kushida-gu shrine, yoshinogari historical park
back to hakata
fukuoka - asahi beer factory, nanzoin

Day 5 (JR Pass) :
train to kumamoto
kumamoto - suizenji, kamitori, shimotori, kumamoto castle area
back to hakata

Day 6 (JR Pass) :
train to hizen kashima and take bus to yutoku inari shrine
then go to nagasaki
nagasaki - peace park, memorial hall, megane bridge, china town and dutch slope

Day 7 :
walk around tenjin area, ohori park, fukuoka tower, yahoo dome, mariona outlet

Day 8:
dazaifu, hakata port tower and soak onsen around there.

is this itenery ok?

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Had anyone tried renting a bike in Kyoto before? Might consider it rather than walking and taking the buses :s13:

if you want to rent, make sure u rent the battery assisted one. Some areas in Kyoto are hilly, like in Higashiyama, it will be very "chuan" if you get those non powered ones.

awesomania

Reaction score
not sure if you are aware, but i will just point out. On your Day 4, Kusatsu Onsen Town -> Kyoto, will pass by Tokyo again.
the JR shinkansen only travels along the southern coast.
So, your route will be like this:
from Tokyo -> up north to Kusatsu -> then back to Tokyo -> transfer to shinkansen to Kyoto.

its up to you to decide if it is worth the time. :s12:

Thanks for pointing this out!! I was not aware of this as I just listed the places I wish to visit, havent plan the route using hyperdia.

I will see how to rearrange my schedule then, maybe change it to other day so that it will be Tokyo to kusatsu then back to Tokyo again to save time.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

yes i cycle here. everyday. no problem but please take care and always give way to pedestrians! you can cycle on the pavements almost everywhere so don't need to brave the cars and trucks. just give yourself ample time

clara03

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning a 2 weeks trip to Japan. One week covering Tokyo, another week covering Kansai area.

As of now, I am intending to stay in Kyoto @ 3 nights, 4 nights @ Osaka, 6 nights @ Tokyo and 1 night @ Mt.Fuji.

Have some doubts as follow:-

1) I have heard about the Osaka Amazing Pass, however it seems like the max. is only 2-day pass. Does that means I have to buy 3x of 2-day pass to cover all the places? Otherwise, what do your recommend me to get to be more worth?

2) Which part/district of Kyoto should I stay?

3) Which part/district of Osaka should I stay?

4) As I will be going for a day trip to Nara, will you recommend me to head down from Osaka or Kyoto?

5) Will you recommend me to go for a one day guided trip for Mt.Fuji or Free and Easy is fine?

6) Is it worth to go USJ, Disneyland?

Thank you so much!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning a 2 weeks trip to Japan. One week covering Tokyo, another week covering Kansai area.

As of now, I am intending to stay in Kyoto @ 3 nights, 4 nights @ Osaka, 6 nights @ Tokyo and 1 night @ Mt.Fuji.

1) I have heard about the Osaka Amazing Pass, however it seems like the max. is only 2-day pass. Does that means I have to buy 3x of 2-day pass to cover all the places? Otherwise, what do your recommend me to get to be more worth?>>look through the list of items in the pass, are you interested in everything they have to offer or partly only? If you like everything listed and must visit/use everything inside, yes, you may need o buy multiple pass. If you are only interested in some, then u can consider getting the 1day or 2 days pass will do.

3) Which part/district of Osaka should I stay?>>>Umeda/Namba?

4) As I will be going for a day trip to Nara, will you recommend me to head down from Osaka or Kyoto? >>>almost the same actually, also depends on where do you start from within the cities

5) Will you recommend me to go for a one day guided trip for Mt.Fuji or Free and Easy is fine?>>>FnE will do. Unless u have old folks that cannot walk much.

Thank you so much!

see with >>>

clara03

Reaction score
clara03 wrote:
Hi,

1) I have heard about the Osaka Amazing Pass, however it seems like the max. is only 2-day pass. Does that means I have to buy 3x of 2-day pass to cover all the places? Otherwise, what do your recommend me to get to be more worth?>>look through the list of items in the pass, are you interested in everything they have to offer or partly only? If you like everything listed and must visit/use everything inside, yes, you may need o buy multiple pass. If you are only interested in some, then u can consider getting the 1day or 2 days pass will do.

3) Which part/district of Osaka should I stay?>>>Umeda/Namba?

4) As I will be going for a day trip to Nara, will you recommend me to head down from Osaka or Kyoto? >>>almost the same actually, also depends on where do you start from within the cities

5) Will you recommend me to go for a one day guided trip for Mt.Fuji or Free and Easy is fine?>>>FnE will do. Unless u have old folks that cannot walk much.

Thank you so much!

see with >>>

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If I am just getting the 1 or 2 day pass. How about my remaining days @ Kansai area? How should I travel around? To buy the JR pass? I'm sorry but I'm still a little confused on the train passes and stuffs despite doing my research. Might need more explanation!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If I am just getting the 1 or 2 day pass. How about my remaining days @ Kansai area? How should I travel around? To buy the JR pass? I'm sorry but I'm still a little confused on the train passes and stuffs despite doing my research. Might need more explanation!

The remaining days can just use their IC CARD(ICOCA or SUICA etc) Its like our Ezlink.

If you are in and out of JP on the same airport, you can buy the JR Pass. The round trip between osaka/tokyo will make the pass worth. And as you use it for other JR travelling, you save even more.

some resources to help you

http://jprail.com/category/destinations/kansai-area/osaka-kyoto-kobe-and-nara
http://jprail.com/destinations/chub...s-from-both-tokyo-and-osaka-kyoto-nagoya.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.