HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #4471
Arch-Supremacy Member

Only for 5 days, is the JR pass really necessary? Can take a look at hyperdia to calculate all the train costs and decide if single ticket purchases are cheaper.

In kyoto JR pass is kinda useless. Can just buy icoca and take the subways/buses, no need to worry if your city bus pass covers this or that. Before you leave for Tokyo, return the icoca at kyoto station for refunds.

In Tokyo just buy and use suica. This way you also won't be restricted to just taking JR lines in order to utilise the JR pass. I find it easier to plan my transport routes without a JR pass actually.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #4472
Arch-Supremacy Member

Only for 5 days, is the JR pass really necessary? Can take a look at hyperdia to calculate all the train costs and decide if single ticket purchases are cheaper.

In kyoto JR pass is kinda useless. Can just buy icoca and take the subways/buses, no need to worry if your city bus pass covers this or that. Before you leave for Tokyo, return the icoca at kyoto station for refunds.

In Tokyo just buy and use suica. This way you also won't be restricted to just taking JR lines in order to utilise the JR pass. I find it easier to plan my transport routes without a JR pass actually.
need not return icoca at kyoto coz it can be used in tokyo as well. they made almost all card compatible across japan a few year ago.

JR pass may still be worth it since he is making a round trip between tokyo and kyoto, plus a trip to osaka and travelling ard tokyo. saving is little though, just more for the convenience

but like wat the other have said, i think 5 days is really too short for tokyo and kyoto. tokyo alone is enuf to occupy the 5 days, and can save a few hundred $ on transport if not making the trip to kyoto
Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #4473
Arch-Supremacy Member

need not return icoca at kyoto coz it can be used in tokyo as well. they made almost all card compatible across japan a few year ago.

JR pass may still be worth it since he is making a round trip between tokyo and kyoto, plus a trip to osaka and travelling ard tokyo. saving is little though, just more for the convenience

but like wat the other have said, i think 5 days is really too short for tokyo and kyoto. tokyo alone is enuf to occupy the 5 days, and can save a few hundred $ on transport if not making the trip to kyoto
Oh ya, I didn't see that he was arriving at Haneda. Thought usually if start trip from Kyoto, one would fly in to Osaka.. My bad. If round trip on shinkansen then yes, worth it. But 5 days so tight... it's just touch and go at both places.

Wasn't aware that ICOCA can be used in Tokyo as well - but now I know, thanks! I only knew suica can be used in Kyoto haha. Coz my trip is going to be tokyo ->shirakawa go -> kyoto (so I never checked for vice versa). But I'm buying both cards because I wanna take advantage of the icoca+haruka package, so gotta return suica at Tokyo when I leave for shirakawa go.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #4474

Hi All, many thanks for the feedback! Looks like getting the Icoca card will be the best option. I am actually staying in Japan for 9 days(omitted first and last day as i am arriving Haneda and departing from Haneda around 4pm) and there will be another 2 days in Tokyo for work purposes.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #4475
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh ya, I didn't see that he was arriving at Haneda. Thought usually if start trip from Kyoto, one would fly in to Osaka.. My bad. If round trip on shinkansen then yes, worth it. But 5 days so tight... it's just touch and go at both places.

Wasn't aware that ICOCA can be used in Tokyo as well - but now I know, thanks! I only knew suica can be used in Kyoto haha. Coz my trip is going to be tokyo ->shirakawa go -> kyoto (so I never checked for vice versa). But I'm buying both cards because I wanna take advantage of the icoca+haruka package, so gotta return suica at Tokyo when I leave for shirakawa go.
note tt there is an admin fee if u need to refund any remaining amount in the card. so either u used finish everything or just keep the card for future trips. an easy way to use finish all value in the card is to go convenient store and pay using the card. they can allow u to pay partially with card and remaining in cash
Old 07-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #4476
Arch-Supremacy Member

note tt there is an admin fee if u need to refund any remaining amount in the card. so either u used finish everything or just keep the card for future trips. an easy way to use finish all value in the card is to go convenient store and pay using the card. they can allow u to pay partially with card and remaining in cash
Ya, as with most prepaid transport cards in other countries. Though the admin fee I think is not much la. I usually keep (still have octopus, youyou card, rabbit card and oyster card in my stash lol), but will see how it goes. I'm keeping ICOCA though... for future haruka ticket discounts.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #4477
Arch-Supremacy Member

There' no advantage of getting ICOCA+HARUKA now. They have made the ICOCA a standard at 2000yen on top of whatever destination haruka is going/coming. You can buy your ICOCA separately at 2000yen too.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #4478
Arch-Supremacy Member

There' no advantage of getting ICOCA+HARUKA now. They have made the ICOCA a standard at 2000yen on top of whatever destination haruka is going/coming. You can buy your ICOCA separately at 2000yen too.
??

But haruka has discounted price if you have the icoca or purchase it as a package.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/

Is this discontinued?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #4479
Arch-Supremacy Member

??

But haruka has discounted price if you have the icoca or purchase it as a package.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/

Is this discontinued?
Not discon, just that you can buy a set or seprately.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #4480
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not discon, just that you can buy a set or seprately.
I know I can buy separately, but I don't see any reason why I should use suica in Kyoto while having to pay for Haruka at full price, when I can just return suica in Tokyo, and purchase ICOCA+Haruka as a package so that the Haruka express which I'll be taking from Kyoto to KIX will be at a discounted price.

Am I missing something here?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #4481
Arch-Supremacy Member

I know I can buy separately, but I don't see any reason why I should use suica in Kyoto while having to pay for Haruka at full price, when I can just return suica in Tokyo, and purchase ICOCA+Haruka as a package so that the Haruka express which I'll be taking from Kyoto to KIX will be at a discounted price.

Am I missing something here?
For example if you are taking Haruka to and from from KIX to Kyoto, u just need to buy the 3200 round trip Haruka. The regular price will cost you 6340. Its a good deal. If you need ICOCA, u just top up 2000yen more, which is the std price for every ICOCA bundle or not.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #4482
Master Member

Once you have an ICOCA IC Card, do keep it for the rest of your future Japan trips.
Ruriel likes this.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #4483
Arch-Supremacy Member

For example if you are taking Haruka to and from from KIX to Kyoto, u just need to buy the 3200 round trip Haruka. The regular price will cost you 6340. Its a good deal. If you need ICOCA, u just top up 2000yen more, which is the std price for every ICOCA bundle or not.
Ah. Just that for my trip, I only needed a one way Haruka from Kyoto to KIX. That was probably why I was confused - you were talking about the round trip deal, whereas I was only looking for one way. I don't think there was any one-way Haruka discount unless I have an ICOCA card. Noted your advice regarding the round trip though, thanks!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #4484
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ah. Just that for my trip, I only needed a one way Haruka from Kyoto to KIX. That was probably why I was confused - you were talking about the round trip deal, whereas I was only looking for one way. I don't think there was any one-way Haruka discount unless I have an ICOCA card. Noted your advice regarding the round trip though, thanks!
sorry I have confused you, if you have only SUICA then yes, you need to buy the ICOCA+HARUKA bundle to enjoy the discount.
Ruriel likes this.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #4485
Master Member

I heard hakone is nice and pretty but close and dead town once hit 6pm while in Dec. Since we will be staying and driving there for 2 nights, as a family, can bro help to direct any cosy mall or chill out place ard hakone or nearby prefecture?

Google map location will be absolutely helpful. Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.