Old 07-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #5011
Arch-Supremacy Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...after-meltdown
Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #5012
Supremacy Member

This should enlighten
https://www.shinjukustation.com/shin...ding-your-way/
Ohh shiiitttt.

It is possible to navigate just by the sign board right??
It'll be gf and me first time trip to Tokyo Japan and without tour group.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #5013
Master Member

Ohh shiiitttt.

Yes, it's definitely possible. The metro lines are color coded as well.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #5014

will be reaching narita and transferring to domestic to hokkaido so just to chk for the immigration card for the 1st leg my address shld input tokyo side (hotel) or sapporo side (airbnb)
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #5015
Great Supremacy Member

Ohh shiiitttt.

Dont worry too much...

Just have a datasim and google map..

I did my first trip last year F&E and a return trip last month F&E as well..
Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #5016

but it is also true that many new posters in this forum like to post questions without taking the trouble to so a simple search, like how hard is it to use the search tool here on HWZ? but many still don't. but many of the forumers here still respond, even though they may have answered the same thing again and again many times...

everyone give and take a little lah. we all human and have bad days sometimes right?
The other issue is asking really generic questions... how long does it take to backpack all of Japan, where to go shopping for snacks in Shinjuku, recommend a hotel in Ueno... I don't necessarily mind repeated questions because there's always new intel that people can share, that's the fun of forums. But when you ask such general questions, it just implies that the poster hasn't done any homework, or even read any of the threads there. Yes there'll always be someone responding, but then you lose out on those who choose not to reply because the question is way too broad!
fairnsquare and joeson like this.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 AM   #5017

Can anyone advise the shopping malls in Tokyo? I'm not looking for atas stores. Looking for malls which have many flagship stores.

What is the temperature range during Feb month? I tried to google and it shows the range around 3c to 10c?

Last edited by Dreaming; 08-11-2016 at 05:16 AM..
Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #5018
Arch-Supremacy Member

The other issue is asking really generic questions... how long does it take to backpack all of Japan, where to go shopping for snacks in Shinjuku, recommend a hotel in Ueno... I don't necessarily mind repeated questions because there's always new intel that people can share, that's the fun of forums. But when you ask such general questions, it just implies that the poster hasn't done any homework, or even read any of the threads there. Yes there'll always be someone responding, but then you lose out on those who choose not to reply because the question is way too broad!
I've came across worse ones in TripAdvisor actually. I vividly remember there was one person asking in one of the destination forums: "Hi, first time to xxx country. Going for 9 days with family. Please provide itinerary." The regulars / destination experts there just replied him "sorry we are not your travel agency."

Some not as bad but still pretty roll-eye worthy examples are "Hey guys I'm going this country for x number of days in May. Please advise temperature and what to wear. I want to visit <list down full list of attractions in the country>. Please advise how to plan my days and recommend hotel, thanks."

Like seriously, very hard to pin or star the locations in Google Map to see how to group them up meh...? Others may say I'm mean or rude, but if want to travel but dowan to use common sense and spend time to read and plan, and want online forums to spoon feed them with all the answers, then please go down to tour agency instead...
fairnsquare and joeson like this.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #5019
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ohh shiiitttt.

besides signboards, I also use phone compass to navigate, i find it very useful in orientating my general direction. Eg if I am at West Gate and wanted to go to the BASUTA Shinjuku, i will orientate myself to walk towards South. Along the way i counter check with the sign boards to confirm my direction is indeed correct. Compass provides general direction, signboards provide detailed exits. But do calibrate it before use, best is at above ground.
fairnsquare likes this.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #5020
Master Member

Can anyone advise the shopping malls in Tokyo? I'm not looking for atas stores. Looking for malls which have many flagship stores.

What is the temperature range during Feb month? I tried to google and it shows the range around 3c to 10c?
Shopping areas would be Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ginza, etc. but it depends on what you intend to shop and also your age group.

Feb is one of the coldest months but the weather should be bright and clear.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #5021

I find the Tokyo flagship stores tend to be standalone buildings, especially along Ginza. Shopping malls in the city are not at the same scale we see in SG. It would be made up of smaller shops instead. The large shopping centers in Tokyo are often single department stores like Takashimaya, Isetan, Lumine etc.

So if you are looking for flagship stores you have to look them up individually.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #5022
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am not sure if anyone knows.. But using the jr pass u can book a seat from shinjuku to otsuki..
Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #5023
Supremacy Member

best date period for sakura?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #5024

I've came across worse ones in TripAdvisor actually. I vividly remember there was one person asking in one of the destination forums: "Hi, first time to xxx country. Going for 9 days with family. Please provide itinerary." The regulars / destination experts there just replied him "sorry we are not your travel agency."

Some not as bad but still pretty roll-eye worthy examples are "Hey guys I'm going this country for x number of days in May. Please advise temperature and what to wear. I want to visit <list down full list of attractions in the country>. Please advise how to plan my days and recommend hotel, thanks."

Like seriously, very hard to pin or star the locations in Google Map to see how to group them up meh...? Others may say I'm mean or rude, but if want to travel but dowan to use common sense and spend time to read and plan, and want online forums to spoon feed them with all the answers, then please go down to tour agency instead...
couldn't have put it better myself!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #5025
Arch-Supremacy Member

Reporting live from Mount Fuji..!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.