HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #496

beside bMobile . any other prepaid data card? looking for card with 2-3month options.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #497
Arch-Supremacy Member

f&e or follow tour better for the first time to tokyo/osaka?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #498
Arch-Supremacy Member

f&e or follow tour better for the first time to tokyo/osaka?
F&E of coz!
planning is quite easy, and if u need help, there are lots of helpful ppl in this forum to turn to.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #499

hi like to ask, i am getting the JR West Kansai Area Pass (2 days Passes), so if i am travelling from Osaka to Higashiyama in Kyoto. I suppose this pass cover Osaka to Kyoto but not from Kyoto to Higashiyama. So when i need the kyoto station, i need get out and purchase the ticket from Kyoto to Higashiyama or when i am at osaka, i can top up at the ticket counter on to my JR pass and travel straight from osaka to Higashiyama?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #500
Supremacy Member

beside bMobile . any other prepaid data card? looking for card with 2-3month options.
buy 2 bmobile card la.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #501
Supremacy Member

hi like to ask, i am getting the JR West Kansai Area Pass (2 days Passes), so if i am travelling from Osaka to Higashiyama in Kyoto. I suppose this pass cover Osaka to Kyoto but not from Kyoto to Higashiyama. So when i need the kyoto station, i need get out and purchase the ticket from Kyoto to Higashiyama or when i am at osaka, i can top up at the ticket counter on to my JR pass and travel straight from osaka to Higashiyama?
eh, i think u need to pay the fare from Kyoto to Higashiyama and pay at the station counter at Higashiyama...
Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #502

You have to get out of the station, change lines and buy a new ticket. Higashiyama is on the Kyoto subway line, not JR. If you're planning to take the subway, maybe you can consider the Kansai Thru pass instead which covers non-JR trains, subways and buses within the Kansai area.

Else, buy the Icoca + Haruka at the airport and just top up your Icoca card (like an EZlink card). It can be used on almost all buses and trains in Kansai.

Last edited by lillyelf; 03-10-2013 at 06:12 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #503

You have to get out of the station, change lines and buy a new ticket. Higashiyama is on the Kyoto subway line, not JR. If you're planning to take the subway, maybe you can consider the Kansai Thru pass instead which covers non-JR trains, subways and buses within the Kansai area.

Else, buy the Icoca + Haruka at the airport and just top up your Icoca card (like an EZlink card). It can be used on almost all buses and trains in Kansai.
Hi, thanks for the infor. however i still confuse the different between Kansai Thru pass(KANSAI THRU PASS (English) | Ticket&Goods | SURUTTO KANSAI) and the West JR pass (West Japan Railway Company - Kansai Area Pass Information) . can help to explain?
A bit of my plan in Kyoto here.

1st day, I reaching Kansai airport at 7 am , and plan to go nara before going to my hostal at Higashiyama in Kotoyo.
2nd day, I planning to travel back to Osaka for a day tour in Universal Studio,
3 to 4 day I will be touring places in Kyoto before i use my 7days JR pass to Takaya. so which it suitable for me?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #504
Supremacy Member

Kansai thru pass doesn't use JR lines, so a lot of transfers here and there
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #505
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, thanks for the infor. however i still confuse the different between Kansai Thru pass(KANSAI THRU PASS (English) | Ticket&Goods | SURUTTO KANSAI) and the West JR pass (West Japan Railway Company - Kansai Area Pass Information) . can help to explain?
A bit of my plan in Kyoto here.

1st day, I reaching Kansai airport at 7 am , and plan to go nara before going to my hostal at Higashiyama in Kotoyo.
2nd day, I planning to travel back to Osaka for a day tour in Universal Studio,
3 to 4 day I will be touring places in Kyoto before i use my 7days JR pass to Takaya. so which it suitable for me?

Thanks
non-JR lines:
KIX to nara - take Nankai Airport Express to Namba, then change to Kintetsu Nara line to KintetsuNara station. total cost 1430yen. note that u need to walk a bit to change train at namba
nara to kyoto - from kintetsunara to kyoto is 610yen via kintetsu kyoto line.
kyoto to USJ - NA. u need JR line to get to universalcity station

JR lines:
KIX to nara - take JR Kansai airport rapid service to Tennoji, then JR Yamatoji line to Nara. 1660yen.
nara to kyoto - JR Nara line from Nara to Kyoto, 690yen
kyoto ti USJ - kyoto to osaka to nishikujo to univeralcity station. 780yen

for me, i will not take either pass coz there is little of no savings, and i dun have to be tied down to either JR or non-JR line. if u really wanna get a pass, i think JR pass will be better.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #506

non-JR lines:
KIX to nara - take Nankai Airport Express to Namba, then change to Kintetsu Nara line to KintetsuNara station. total cost 1430yen. note that u need to walk a bit to change train at namba
nara to kyoto - from kintetsunara to kyoto is 610yen via kintetsu kyoto line.
kyoto to USJ - NA. u need JR line to get to universalcity station
Not true. Can take non-JR train to Umeda and change to JR. Osaka to Universal City is 170 each way.

Agreed about the rest, though. I like the Kansai Thru pass for its flexibility to take the subways as much as I can within a city, (eg tired liao one stop only also can take subway cos covered) but if you have specific places to go to, Icoca may be the most flexible option for you. Kansai Thru also requires more research on your part because you need to change lines quite often.

Last edited by lillyelf; 03-10-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #507
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not true. Can take non-JR train to Umeda and change to JR. Osaka to Universal City is 170 each way.

Agreed about the rest, though. I like the Kansai Thru pass for its flexibility to take the subways as much as I can within a city, (eg tired liao one stop only also can take subway cos covered) but if you have specific places to go to, Icoca may be the most flexible option for you. Kansai Thru also requires more research on your part because you need to change lines quite often.
yup, u are right.
i actually meant that u cant get to USJ entirely on private lines.

if i am not wrong, kyoto to osaka also quite a hassle if going by private line as there is no direct train
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #508

I also intend to go Japan... but I think will be more troublesome if I go f&e, n more expensive cos we got 3 people going. We don't know their language...
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #509
Arch-Supremacy Member

I also intend to go Japan... but I think will be more troublesome if I go f&e, n more expensive cos we got 3 people going. We don't know their language...
it is easy to get around japan. not troublesome at all!

3 person is actually cheaper if u find stay in triple room. but not all places have triple though, so it depends where u going.

i don't know there language either, but that havent stopped me from visiting japan. my 7th trip to japan coming up next month
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #510

yup, u are right.
i actually meant that u cant get to USJ entirely on private lines.

if i am not wrong, kyoto to osaka also quite a hassle if going by private line as there is no direct train
There are direct trains, but from Kyoto town centre, not Kyoto station. Hankyu runs direct from Karasuma to Umeda.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.