Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Define your definition of "fun".

All three have their fair share of places to visit and things to do.

snow, scenery, busy city, affordable, places to party.

which city fits the bill? another other mode of transport from tokyo to sapporo besides flight transit?

Last edited:

thwysg

Reaction score
snow, scenery, busy city, affordable, places to party.

which city fits the bill? another other mode of transport from tokyo to sapporo besides flight transit?

No snow in Osaka and Tokyo unless you head to higher ground.

All three are cities, can be affordable. Tokyo would be the most expensive among the three. Scenery? Head to parks, or else outskirts. Not a party person so I can't help you on that.

Take the train. Via plane would be a faster way and maybe, cheaper if taking LCC.

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No snow in Osaka and Tokyo unless you head to higher ground.

All three are cities, can be affordable. Tokyo would be the most expensive among the three. Scenery? Head to parks, or else outskirts. Not a party person so I can't help you on that.

Take the train. Via plane would be a faster way and maybe, cheaper if taking LCC.

looks like sapporo isnt feasible for me. im considering tokamachi to experience snow cos nearer to tokyo.

thwysg

Reaction score
looks like sapporo isnt feasible for me. im considering tokamachi to experience snow cos nearer to tokyo.

Experience snow? Ski or just to see snow? There's Nagano and Yeti Town around Mt. Fuji area. Gala Yuzawa is another place. You didn't state the travel period in the first place.

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Experience snow? Ski or just to see snow? There's Nagano and Yeti Town around Mt. Fuji area. Gala Yuzawa is another place. You didn't state the travel period in the first place.

skiing not confirmed. but wanna experience snowfall. tokamachi is a good place to experience snow fall right?

thwysg

Reaction score
skiing not confirmed. but wanna experience snowfall. tokamachi is a good place to experience snow fall right?

No guarantee there's snowfall on the day of visit. But yes, there'll be lots of snow on the ground if you're there in January to February.

marsbarsz

Reaction score
Hey guys, am heading to tokyo with my gf in september but not sure which area i should be looking at for the accommodations. anyone can advice us which area can fit the criteria?

Since we are on a budget, we don't really need to stay in any fancy places so below is the criteria:
1. Near to JR yamanote lines
2. Have plenty of nearby budget food options
3. Price of accommodation is cheap

Thanks!!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, am heading to tokyo with my gf in september but not sure which area i should be looking at for the accommodations. anyone can advice us which area can fit the criteria?

Since we are on a budget, we don't really need to stay in any fancy places so below is the criteria:

Thanks!!

Try to search for airbnb

eg
https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/14788150?guests=2&adults=2&location=tokyo&s=nl0noztA

https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/16355924?guests=2&adults=2&location=tokyo&s=nl0noztA

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks!!

Would you need ensuite bathroom or shared bathroom acceptable? Cheapest accommodation offer shares facilities.

Cheap is also relative, what is your budget per night?

allan_nalla

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to travel to Japan in Oct/Nov (either or) for their fall foliage.
Planning to visit two places on a 16-17day trip. While I think I'm set to visit Tokyo on one of the two, can someone recommend the other prefecture to visit?

I was thinking about Okinawa but it seems it's best to visit during summer.
Should I proceed nonetheless or does summer in Okinawa triumph the autumn state of it?

Don't really desire travelling to Kyoto atm given the recent reports of spike in tourists and overcrowding etc.
Hokkaido is also out for this trip too as I'll probably isolate it to experience the true winter sports with snow.

If it matters, we're gearing to the chill/scenery type for this trip. Even our 'itineraries' will be more like a guideline of things to do instead of like a 'schedule' per se.

Last edited:

dungeonalley

Reaction score
Hi,

Planning to visit two places on a 16-17day trip. While I think I'm set to visit Tokyo on one of the two, can someone recommend the other prefecture to visit?

Should I proceed nonetheless or does summer in Okinawa triumph the autumn state of it?

Don't really desire travelling to Kyoto atm given the recent reports of spike in tourists and overcrowding etc.
Hokkaido is also out for this trip too as I'll probably isolate it to experience the true winter sports with snow.

If it matters, we're gearing to the chill/scenery type for this trip. Even our 'itineraries' will be more like a guideline of things to do instead of like a 'schedule' per se.

Maybe it's just me. but you cannot not go Kyoto if your purpose is to see the foilage. Even locals go to kyoto for foilage. you know how good the sight there is going to be. No doubt there's quite a bit of tourist spike recently. but venture into some quiet streets, you will see the beauty the city is able to give you.

16 - 17days can give you a good tokyo - nagoya - kyoto - osaka trip. Just do a open jaw, fly in to haneda and out from KIX.

dungeonalley

Reaction score

thwysg

Reaction score
Hi,

Tohoku then if you're visiting in October for autumn colors.

marsbarsz

Reaction score

Would you need ensuite bathroom or shared bathroom acceptable? Cheapest accommodation offer shares facilities.

Cheap is also relative, what is your budget per night?

And find those off popular stations on the yamanote line. I stayed at Otsuka the other time. pretty nice quiet neighbourhood that's just a stop away from the busy Ikebukero. and ya, how cheap is cheap you are looking for?

Thanks for the replies! Cheap meaning approx $40/pax/night? BUT I think I didn't put my point across properly SORRY!. Places of accommodation is not really an issue, I'm more interested to know which area is better.

So what I meant to ask is which station around the yamanote line has cheap accommodations PLUS plenty of nearby inexpensive eateries?

I was initially thinking of staying in shibuya/shinjuku hostels, but i'm afraid that the food around there may be costly knowing that those places are popular tourist destinations

Last edited:

thwysg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Cheap meaning approx $40/pax/night? BUT I think I didn't put my point across properly SORRY!. Places of accommodation is not really an issue, I'm more interested to know which area is better.

So what I meant to ask is which station around the yamanote line has cheap accommodations PLUS plenty of nearby inexpensive eateries?

I was initially thinking of staying in shibuya/shinjuku hostels, but i'm afraid that the food around there may be costly knowing that those places are popular tourist destinations

$40 per pax i.e. That means $80 for two pax? That's only ¥6,500. You probably can only book capsule or hostel.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

there's always some small stores that sell cheaper food even if they are located in a touristy area. In fact the chances are higher for you to get one. And their 7-11/Lawson/Family are everywhere and well stocked with ready to eat take-aways. I think you shouldn't worry much about cheaper food in Tokyo at all.

Besides, you will be travelling non stop round the city, you wouldn't be just hanging out in the neighborhood of your lodging only right? From my own experience, I usually get my breakfast and supper (if still have any energy left) near my neighbor hood. Lunch is always somewhere else. Dinner is most likely somewhere else too or settled with an heavy late lunch before heading back to lodging. Passing by any co-op or konbini, i just grab some simple food for supper and next day breakfast.

BTW, my own observation is that Tokyo doesn't have "yum cha" culture. So there's no early morning eateries open other than the western cafe.

dungeonalley

Reaction score

You might want to also consider areas that's one subway stop away from the main yamanote line. else, i think it's difficult to find accomo around 40/night at those touristy stations.

just go onto airbnb and hunt. you should be able to find something like this: https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/8957035

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.