HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #5311
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually I've read that bus passes in Kyoto are a bit overrated. There are some places that can only be reached by buses yes, but the buses are usually crowded and the waiting time + traffic delays will eat into your time.

May I know how true is that?

I'm contemplating to get a kyoto one day sightseeing pass for the day which I'll be travelling quite a bit on their public transport. But the pass is not valid on Keifuku railway, which most likely I'll be taking to arashiyama station. Of course I could go on another route where the pass is valid on (which involves subway+bus), just that I'm not sure if I should restrict myself to the pass, or should I just ditch the idea and use ICOCA for the entire time....
some of the attractions such as kinkakuji and kiyomizudera are not very accessible by train.
traffic was ok when i went some years back. but i dunno how is the situation like now.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #5312
High Supremacy Member

Actually I've read that bus passes in Kyoto are a bit overrated. There are some places that can only be reached by buses yes, but the buses are usually crowded and the waiting time + traffic delays will eat into your time.

I'm contemplating to get a kyoto one day sightseeing pass for the day which I'll be travelling quite a bit on their public transport. But the pass is not valid on Keifuku railway, which most likely I'll be taking to arashiyama station. Of course I could go on another route where the pass is valid on (which involves subway+bus), just that I'm not sure if I should restrict myself to the pass, or should I just ditch the idea and use ICOCA for the entire time....
Bus typically is fine, not so crowded if you know which bus avoid taking and need to be early.

Traffic Delay not so.
I find the bus to be super accurate in terms of timing. They got certain timing to reach certain stops. If they are early to the stop, they will stay longer in that stop (Same method as trains).

I don't use bus pass since i can't really control how many times i use the pass. Typically need to take more than 3 bus ride for the pass to pay off (So i use use my IC Card to pay 230 Yen each ride).
Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #5313
High Supremacy Member

depends on season

koyo + special night entries = havoc when ppl leave the attraction
Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #5314
Arch-Supremacy Member

some of the attractions such as kinkakuji and kiyomizudera are not very accessible by train.
traffic was ok when i went some years back. but i dunno how is the situation like now.
Bus typically is fine, not so crowded if you know which bus avoid taking and need to be early.

Traffic Delay not so.
I find the bus to be super accurate in terms of timing. They got certain timing to reach certain stops. If they are early to the stop, they will stay longer in that stop (Same method as trains).

I don't use bus pass since i can't really control how many times i use the pass. Typically need to take more than 3 bus ride for the pass to pay off (So i use use my IC Card to pay 230 Yen each ride).
OK thanks for both of your advice. I think I'll just use ICOCA... No need to be restricted by the pass.

depends on season

koyo + special night entries = havoc when ppl leave the attraction
The day I'm thinking to use the pass is actually on the last day of Kyoto Hanatouro 2016. I'm kinda worried that traffic/crowd will be quite bad since it's the last night and it's on a Sunday. Not sure how the turnout will be though.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #5315

It really depends on your hotel location and travel itinerary and preferences. I don't use the bus pass everyday - only for days where I know I am going where buses make more sense. And personally - I prefer buses to subways since you get to see stuff. I've also spontaneously gotten off buses because I spot an interesting shop I want to check out. But if you stay next to a subway/train stop that takes you where you need to go, then a bus pass is not really advantageous.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #5316
Arch-Supremacy Member

yah.. i also didnt use bus pass everyday. i group the places that requires buses into a day and just get the pass for tt day. places like fushimi inari and arashiyama is a lot easier by train, so those put on another day
Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #5317
Supremacy Member

i live here and i can tell you i simply hate taking the bus especially if going thru karasuma or gojo, or going into kyoto station... simply a waste of time... I would sometimes change to keihan or subway or just walk!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #5318
Master Member

places like this i recommend going very early in the morning, to avoid the unnecessary crowds

when i went to kinkakuji last autumn, the opening time was like 9am. but you can go much earlier for kiyomizudera though
Old 06-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #5319
Great Supremacy Member

i live here and i can tell you i simply hate taking the bus especially if going thru karasuma or gojo, or going into kyoto station... simply a waste of time... I would sometimes change to keihan or subway or just walk!
True this..

I only took one bus in Kyoto..From Kyoto Station to Ginkakuji..

My hotel was near the station..At night when go Kiyomizudera, i will take Nara Line using JRP then transfer to Keihan Line and walk over from Kiyomizu-Gojo..
Old 06-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #5320

Buses sometimes easier for elderly parents when moving around downtown Kyoto because it is surface transport no need to take stairs or walk long stretches. And since bus stops are sometimes relatively closer together means can save a bit of leg effort moving from place to place!

Ultimately the convenient thing is that there are bus, rail and subway options -- take advantage of it
Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 AM   #5321
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello, anyone had experience with car rentals in Osaka/Kyoto?
Planning a day rental for my day along the coast.
Already got my international license.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #5322
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for all the advice regarding the bus option in Kyoto. After reading what you guys said, I've decided to do away with passes - just use icoca for everything. will still take buses if necessary / required though. But at least I don't need to stick to just buses...
Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #5323

Does anyone know the last departure time for Kobe City Bus 16 from Rokko Cable Shita Station? I'm planning to go up Mt Rokko for the night view but I'm scared that I will miss the last bus and get stuck at the station
Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #5324
High Supremacy Member

Does anyone know the last departure time for Kobe City Bus 16 from Rokko Cable Shita Station? I'm planning to go up Mt Rokko for the night view but I'm scared that I will miss the last bus and get stuck at the station
http://www.city.kobe.lg.jp/life/acce...oku/013101.pdf
this one? depends on what period you going, if go around this month then around 6pm is quite dark. Most will stay until 7pm or so because it is freezing on top. I doubt people stay long, up there not much stuff to do and ropeway also got closing time also.
I went last year during November.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #5325

Yes that's the one thanks! Yeah going there this month, I'm not planning to stay long up there. Is there any difference in the routes for those in circles and those without?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.