HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #6016
Arch-Supremacy Member

like sg if we miss 1 mrt, the next train would probably come in 6mins. is japan much different?
Please don't compare Japan train schedules with sg ones. Totally heaven and earth.

They've got a strict train schedule even for normal subways. Their trains arrive true to the minute in their timetable. Please use hyperdia to check next train timings while planning for backup plans in case you missed the train you want to take. Dont assume "next train in 6 minutes". Only SEA countries work like this.
Old 26-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #6017
High Supremacy Member

thanks for your suggestion!
hmmm the route is :

Namba subway -> Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line (14mins) -> Shin-Osaka 545am -> 6am Shinkansen -> 819am Shinagawa -> 833am Keikyu Airport Exp for HANEDA AIRPORT -> 854am

its my first time so i am not sure how does a jap mrt and train works. does missing a connecting mrt or train means the nxt one will be very far apart?

like sg if we miss 1 mrt, the next train would probably come in 6mins. is japan much different?
anyhowsaysay is right. You have be very punctual. It does come on time!

Shin Osaka station is very big. For the first timer, it is difficult to navigate than Shinagawa station, which is also big.

If you arrive shin-Osaka station, 30 mins gap is sufficient for you to navigate assuming that you got shinkansen tickets.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #6018
Arch-Supremacy Member

Usually I kiasi, I would familiarise myself by rehersing the routes to the platform, checking out on loactions of lift and their maintenance schedule before an important journey eg to airport. But ts has no luxury of time.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #6019
Greater Supremacy Member

Need help on rail. actually planning to get JR pass for my trip but realised that my return flight would be too early for a JR pass train Hikari.

On return day my flight is at 1030am at haneda and i will be traveling from osaka. will not make it from Hikari first train, so can only take JR nozomi which is not covered in JR. therefore planning to buy single tix instead

Traveling to following places so would like to see if there is any day pass for maybe tokyo etc that will be worthwhile since now i am not using JR pass.

Narita -> tokyo (stay) -> kyoto (stay) -> osaka (stay) -> haneda

- Narita to Tokyo
will be taking JR sobu 1320yen

- Tokyo (shinjuku) to Kyoto
from hyperdia including those connecting sub and via nozomi (unreserved seat) 13,080yen

- Kyoto to Osaka
800 yen

- Osaka (Namba) to Haneda
first train 6am and target to reach haneda ard 9am via nozomi (unreserved seat) 14,310 yen

would i be able to buy shinkansen tix online in advance or i can only buy at the station and is advance buying possible at the station? for example, buying my osaka to tokyo return nozomi reserved tix first?
Personally I would prefer to head out to Kyoto/Osaka first and end the trip with the last few days in Tokyo..not gonna risk it with a flight ahead..

That's what I did for my trip in 2015 and even my Taiwan trip last time..
Old 26-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #6020
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks all for the feedback, i did some miscalculation when i book my flight. I could actually book arrival at Narita and departure with a connection flight from KIX to Haneda then back to SG.

But weeks after when i actual book i actually choose the one without the connection KIX to Haneda. called them to ask if i can still include the connecting flight with topup.. they said cannot. If i were to buy a single tix for the KIX/Haneda it will be much much more exp than if it was included in the full return trip price.

i had already book all my hotel so it is hard to change the sequence to visit kyoto/osaka first then tokyo.

i guess the next best thing is to see if i can go familiar myself with shin osaka station layout and shinagawa like you all pointed is risky point.

or to see if i can cancel my last night osaka hotel and travel back tokyo for for last nite.
Old 26-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #6021

7pm. Just take train starting from 8pm onwards. Toei's Asakusa Line-Keikyu's Line is not so crowded because of high frequency train.

When I took this line at Higashi-Ginza station, it alternate Asakusa Line train and Asakusa Line-Keikyu's line.

When you are at Shingakuji, you have one clear straight line on Keikyu's line.

I never took moonrail before.

These are for your idea on how you can expect.
Okay, I just would not want to get myself lost you see. While the keikyu pass seems decent, I read that the tokyo metro lines station hardly have any english signages and you have to concentrate on listening to the broadcast that you arrived at the right station..

Around 6-8pm yamanote can be quite packed regardless weekday or weekend. I was thinking for next trip I'll take the limousine bus. Pro is don't have to struggle with luggage and transfer isn't needed. Cost is higher but it's only a few hundred yen a person so not that bad.
Ah okay, I was planning to buy the Tokyo 1-Day Pass (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_free.html), I don't time I reserved the seats? and all the way to Shinagawa and change to Keikyu and all the way to Haneda airport.

Last edited by melvados; 26-02-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Old 26-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #6022
High Supremacy Member

thanks all for the feedback, i did some miscalculation when i book my flight. I could actually book arrival at Narita and departure with a connection flight from KIX to Haneda then back to SG.

But weeks after when i actual book i actually choose the one without the connection KIX to Haneda. called them to ask if i can still include the connecting flight with topup.. they said cannot. If i were to buy a single tix for the KIX/Haneda it will be much much more exp than if it was included in the full return trip price.

i had already book all my hotel so it is hard to change the sequence to visit kyoto/osaka first then tokyo.

i guess the next best thing is to see if i can go familiar myself with shin osaka station layout and shinagawa like you all pointed is risky point.

or to see if i can cancel my last night osaka hotel and travel back tokyo for for last nite.
Shingawa station is easy to transfer due to proper signboard and layout. It is shin osaka. It is more difficult to navigate in shin osaka.
Old 26-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #6023
High Supremacy Member

Okay, I just would not want to get myself lost you see. While the keikyu pass seems decent, I read that the tokyo metro lines station hardly have any english signages and you have to concentrate on listening to the broadcast that you arrived at the right station..

Ah okay, I was planning to buy the Tokyo 1-Day Pass (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_free.html), I don't time I reserved the seats? and all the way to Shinagawa and change to Keikyu and all the way to Haneda airport.
Not true. All tokyo stations have English signboards unlike rural areas.

No reservation required because it is mrt style unlike shinkansen.

Haneda? Only one terminal. It is Haneda international airport. Avoid Haneda domestic airport

Last edited by TonyDelPiero; 26-02-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 26-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #6024
Supremacy Member

i'm going to japan on 21st March but haven't really decided what to bring with me in terms of luggage / backpack wise.

i'm bringing a camera backpack which will always be on me. as for my stuffs, still undecided if i wanna bring a backpackers backpack or a cabin luggage. going there for 16 days. having this dilemma now as i've heard and read that luggages in trains can be something of a hassle. i'm going to 4 cities so plenty of travelling around.
What I did in my last 2 trips was either book business hotels that have laundromat, or book airbnb that has washing machine / dryer. that way can pack light(er) and wash clothes few times during the trip.
Old 26-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #6025
Arch-Supremacy Member

btw when buying shinkansen tix.. will i be able to pay via credit card or only cash? if need cash then i better bring more cash for my 2 shinkansen tix..

since now i am not using JR pass. then i believe SUICA will be enough right? or is there any cost saving for using tokyo day pass etc?

will be in tokyo for 5 days and few place that i confirm want to see is senso-ji, odaiba, skytree, tokyo tower, tsukji fish market, shibuya, harajuku, ginza.

do not have a specific place in mind but might have other interesting place near these places that can ad hoc visit.
Old 26-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #6026
High Supremacy Member

btw when buying shinkansen tix.. will i be able to pay via credit card or only cash? if need cash then i better bring more cash for my 2 shinkansen tix..

since now i am not using JR pass. then i believe SUICA will be enough right? or is there any cost saving for using tokyo day pass etc?

will be in tokyo for 5 days and few place that i confirm want to see is senso-ji, odaiba, skytree, tokyo tower, tsukji fish market, shibuya, harajuku, ginza.

do not have a specific place in mind but might have other interesting place near these places that can ad hoc visit.
You can pay by CC if you buy it at JR Travel Service Centre.
Old 26-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #6027

What I did in my last 2 trips was either book business hotels that have laundromat, or book airbnb that has washing machine / dryer. that way can pack light(er) and wash clothes few times during the trip.
3 of 4 of my accoms have washer/dryer so i will be packing light too. guess i need to find a cabin luggage. the one i have is about 24" and it's too big for my liking as i'm more of a backpack person.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #6028

My flight out of Tokyo is scheduled for 12.05am. If I stay my last night at Kawaguchiko, then leave from there say about late afternoon/early evening for Haneda Airport, is it safe to make it to the airport by 9-10pm to check in?

Or should I return to Tokyo for the last night and head to Haneda Airport from there? Problem is the hotel I am looking at only allow luggage to be stored with them till 3pm, after which it is chargeable at 1000yen for 1 hr per piece of luggage. If I get a locker is it chargeable by the hour or per usage?

Last edited by daranic; 27-02-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Old 26-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #6029
Supremacy Member

My flight out of Tokyo is scheduled for 12.05am. If I stay my late night at Kawaguchiko, then leave from there say about late afternoon/early evening for Haneda Airport, is it safe to make it to the airport by 9-10pm to check in?

Or should I return to Tokyo for the last night and head to Haneda Airport from there? Problem is the hotel I am looking at only allow luggage to be stored with them till 3pm, after which it is chargeable at 1000yen for hr per piece of luggage. If I get a locker is it chargeable by the hour or per usage?
better to return to Tokyo for the last night.
If you get a locker at the station, its charged by per usage.
How big is ur luggage size?
Old 27-02-2017, 05:41 AM   #6030

Not true. All tokyo stations have English signboards unlike rural areas.

No reservation required because it is mrt style unlike shinkansen.

Haneda? Only one terminal. It is Haneda international airport. Avoid Haneda domestic airport
I mean to say if I buy that 1 day Tokyo Pass, as it allows me to ride the Shinkansen, can I still reserve seats?

Right now, I am weighing which pass should I get - this 1-Day Tokyo Pass or KeiKyu Tokyo 1-Day pass...

By the way, I am planning to go for Tokyo SkyTree. Is it worth getting the Floor 350+450 combo (I am seeing it under the 'Fast SkyTree Ticket for international visitors section)?
Also generally, is the waiting time very long?

Last edited by melvados; 27-02-2017 at 06:19 AM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.