HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #6091
Master Member

Also to check, anyone stayed at sakura fleur aoyama in shibuya before? Any comments?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #6092
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hmm seems like Kyoto turns dark around 6.30pm. Won't be dangerous if taking night train back right? Eg: will the beggers/tikopeh (if any) disturb female?
Not once encountered during my time with younger female fellow travelers. But usual self protection/preservation applies. Lots of common sense required.

Don't be naive and overly trusting of strangers. Japanese are usually very reserved and seems aloof. Your should be on your guard once u encountered someone that doesn't fit this behavior. eg someone very very helpful or wanting to show u the way even if you refused, insisting that you should try this unique local drink etc etc.

If you can avoid sardine packed train, avoid it. Or squeeze with fellow female passengers. If you are with a male companion, squeeze with him, you would rather be with him then a "chihan", correct?
fairnsquare likes this.

Last edited by cpuer; 07-03-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 07-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #6093
Master Member

Not once encountered during my time with younger female fellow travelers. But usual self protection/preservation applies. Lots of common sense required.

Don't be naive and overly trusting of strangers. Japanese are usually very reserved and seems aloof. Your should be on your guard once u encountered someone that doesn't fit this behavior. eg someone very very helpful or wanting to show u the way even if you refused, insisting that you should try this unique local drink etc etc.

If you can avoid sardine packed train, avoid it. Or squeeze with fellow female passengers. If you are with a male companion, squeeze with him, you would rather be with him then a "chihan", correct?
Cause I read in other threads and some people were saying Japanese will aim those who seems to be "missing" in mrt and they'll approach them to bring them to their destinations. In return, they expect us to give them money.

Also, I was told not to wear shorts in Japan. In Singapore is common, but how about Japan?

Old 07-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #6094
Arch-Supremacy Member

Cause I read in other threads and some people were saying Japanese will aim those who seems to be "missing" in mrt and they'll approach them to bring them to their destinations. In return, they expect us to give them money.

Also, I was told not to wear shorts in Japan. In Singapore is common, but how about Japan?
I encountered enthusiastic youth/old uncle that rendered us help without us asking. no money asked, it's a shameful thing for them to do, so anyone that really asked for money must be super poor or a non Japanese. I bet even a homeless local folks would not ask for/beg for money, their sense of pride and self honor is up there. What you read about could be FAKE NEWS

I honestly rarely seen Japanese women wearing short shorts in the street. Even at the height of summer I still see them wearing the skirt and dresses. Those the material are fluffy cotton type. Or those 3 quarter baggy pants. U can check out Uniqlo summer range to have an idea what they usually wear.
fairnsquare likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #6095
Arch-Supremacy Member

japanese are very helpful, but they will not ask for money.
if u looked lost, there will be helpful japanese who will try to help u. even in busy tokyo rush hour, i have encountered office workers stopping to help me even when they seem to be in a rush. and non of them ever ask for anything in return.

asking money in return kinda scam is common in europe. they ask u for tips just for helping u to use machine to purchase train tickets
fairnsquare likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #6096
Master Member

I encountered enthusiastic youth/old uncle that rendered us help without us asking. no money asked, it's a shameful thing for them to do, so anyone that really asked for money must be super poor or a non Japanese. I bet even a homeless local folks would not ask for/beg for money, their sense of pride and self honor is up there. What you read about could be FAKE NEWS

I honestly rarely seen Japanese women wearing short shorts in the street. Even at the height of summer I still see them wearing the skirt and dresses. Those the material are fluffy cotton type. Or those 3 quarter baggy pants. U can check out Uniqlo summer range to have an idea what they usually wear.
japanese are very helpful, but they will not ask for money.
if u looked lost, there will be helpful japanese who will try to help u. even in busy tokyo rush hour, i have encountered office workers stopping to help me even when they seem to be in a rush. and non of them ever ask for anything in return.

asking money in return kinda scam is common in europe. they ask u for tips just for helping u to use machine to purchase train tickets
I don't think it's fake since it's posted in another thread here. Maybe there were such cases but just that we didn't encountered it before.

But if suaysuay happened to you, will you just give him some money to avoid trouble or?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #6097
Arch-Supremacy Member

You sure you wanna wear shorts? Two years back when I went for Spring trip similar travel period as yours, at Kyoto it was less than 5deg in the early morning.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #6098
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok I have a task coming from my family to buy lots of KitKat and Tokyo banana.

Wanna ask if kit kat at Haneda airport tax free? And as compare to normal shops like Don Quixote (5k yen spend for tax free) are the price higher at the airport? And the Flavours at airport?

Preferably I would Wan to wait till departure to buy so I don't nd to carry it around. But was thinking if the price and flavour comparable.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #6099
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok I have a task coming from my family to buy lots of KitKat and Tokyo banana.

Wanna ask if kit kat at Haneda airport tax free? And as compare to normal shops like Don Quixote (5k yen spend for tax free) are the price higher at the airport? And the Flavours at airport?

Tax free at airport
https://www.tsunagujapan.com/25-must...aneda-airport/

If you wanna more limited type of kitkat for e.g. sublime which only produce 300 pieces a day then you'll have to get at Central Tokyo itself.

https://nestle.jp/brand/kit/inbound/...y/product.html

https://nestle.jp/brand/kit/inbound/...ory/store.html

Preferably I would Wan to wait till departure to buy so I don't nd to carry it around. But was thinking if the price and flavour comparable.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #6100
Arch-Supremacy Member

I also saw these prawns b4 in Hokkaido ... does it mean the shrimps r from Argentina or it just means its a Argentine species of prawn ?
I have no idea.. i Guess it should be a argentine species for these kind of red shrimp? Anyway it taste good! Sweet.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #6101
Master Member

You sure you wanna wear shorts? Two years back when I went for Spring trip similar travel period as yours, at Kyoto it was less than 5deg in the early morning.
No la just asking for future trips

Old 07-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #6102
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks! I actually went to ikeburkuro one.. those are really limited and ermm more ex. Haha.

Will be just looking those buy those like wasabi purple Swee potatoe etc. Those will be available and good in stock in airport right?

I saw like a box in don Quixote of 12 or 13 is like 800yen so is airport also selling at the same price?

Last edited by SibehEng; 07-03-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Old 07-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #6103
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well ex is ex but you cannot find them in other place.

Kyoto branch got cheese flavor which is quite nice but Tokyo branches didn't see any.

Bo notice if got wasabi purple sweet potatoes, remember got red bean one.

if 800yen is the duty free price then it will be same as airport price.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #6104
Supremacy Member

Thanks! I actually went to ikeburkuro one.. those are really limited and ermm more ex. Haha.

Will be just looking those buy those like wasabi purple Swee potatoe etc. Those will be available and good in stock in airport right?

I saw like a box in don Quixote of 12 or 13 is like 800yen so is airport also selling at the same price?
tokyo station got one shop (quite near ramen street) that has quite a number of flavors, some shinkansen stations like kyoto station, odawara station has a handful of flavors too. most other places don't have much variety. i recall the price to be quite consistent. don't recall airport to be (much) cheaper unless i recall wrongly.

flavors wise, rum and raisin one and hojicha one are nice. can get those as well if you happen to see them.

for tokyo banana, good places with more variety are tokyo station, shinagawa station, tokyo skytree, tokyo tower.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #6105
Supremacy Member

I have no idea.. i Guess it should be a argentine species for these kind of red shrimp? Anyway it taste good! Sweet.
we dint try last time bcos wife say usually local products have the words 国产 then ask why come japan eat imported stuff ...
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.