HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #6376

hi,

i'm planning to travel to Hakone / Toyama from 17th - 19th May. I'm planning to see Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route and Kurobe Dam for toyama, but i understand that Tateyama peak is covered in snow for Mid May.

Is it worth going to Tateyama at this period just to see the snow wall? I'd like some hiking options with greenery. I heard Kurobe dam isn't that good

Should i just switch with Hakone instead, and do this loop : Hakone ropeway - lake ashi - hakone Jinja - Komagatake - Gotemba, and perhaps add hiking in either lake Yamanaka or Kawaguchiko?

Would like some opinions on those who had went before.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #6377
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi,

i'm planning to travel to Hakone / Toyama from 17th - 19th May. I'm planning to see Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route and Kurobe Dam for toyama, but i understand that Tateyama peak is covered in snow for Mid May.

Is it worth going to Tateyama at this period just to see the snow wall? I'd like some hiking options with greenery. I heard Kurobe dam isn't that good

Should i just switch with Hakone instead, and do this loop : Hakone ropeway - lake ashi - hakone Jinja - Komagatake - Gotemba, and perhaps add hiking in either lake Yamanaka or Kawaguchiko?

Would like some opinions on those who had went before.
most ppl visit alpine route just for the snow wall. but it is really personal preference and i would prefer some hiking as well. while u probably cant do any hiking in murodo, the sights will be beautiful with all the snow.

alternatively, u can visit kamikochi for hiking. the view will be amazing the the snow covered alps in the backdrop
Old 02-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #6378

most ppl visit alpine route just for the snow wall. but it is really personal preference and i would prefer some hiking as well. while u probably cant do any hiking in murodo, the sights will be beautiful with all the snow.

alternatively, u can visit kamikochi for hiking. the view will be amazing the the snow covered alps in the backdrop
It so happens i had already slotted Kamikochi with hiking during my stay in Takayama, and i plan to do Shin Hotaka on the same day as well.

I'm not that enthusiastic about snow, and seeing all white is pretty boring to me, unless if there's a sea of clouds to be seen with.

Hakone seems to offer more things to do with the ropeway and greenery trekking, and it seems transport cost won't be as high as tateyama, of which if i were to take all transport it could cost me up to 8000 - 10000 yen a day, whereas with the Hakone Pass bought on Odawara JR Station, it should set me back 5,000 yen for 2 days.

With that in mind, would you recommend that its better for me to visit hakone instead?
Old 02-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #6379

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone did this itinerary in a day?

Shibuya + Hachiko Statue
Meiji Shrine
Yogogi Park
Takeshita Street
Harajuku
Seri
Shinjuku
Piss Alley
Ikebukuro + Sunshine City

Is it do-able or will it be too rush?

Tia.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #6380
High Supremacy Member

Read that Japanese don't like people who share meals in their restaurants.

How true is this? Maybe different restaurants have different rules?

For example, lets say Kaiseki meals in Kyoto, each person must order 1 set is it? It is damn expensive as I went to research what it is and also the price. like a few items only and at least S$100. or am I wrong

If there are 3 people, can order 2 sets, and some side dishes or not? Will they kp you? lol. cuz maybe one person doesn't eat much. Just an example.

Then for those that sell a mix of Japanese cuisine such as ramen, tempura, sukiyaki, sushi, etc etc. This kind they won't be so calculative right. Last time I went to Tokyo and Osaka, so far nobody got comment that each diner must die die order 1 set.
Kaiseki typically don't have menu. Is Omakase which is leave it to the chef. Some places only serve price range for all guest. Some other places got different price range which u must indicate when making reservation. Ordering 1 set and sharing i don't think is possible.

Overall is depending on restaurants. High end place got very little seating maybe 10 seats or so. Per night they might only have 2 seating. So overall 20 guests. So if you are ordering 1 set and sharing among 2 person, u are essentially taking up extra seat without paying for it.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #6381
High Supremacy Member

Early December still have Koyo in Kyoto?
depends on weather.
2016 that time by late few days of nov already peak over. by early dec too late already

but 2015 that year was rather warm so even early dec can still see good peak koyo.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #6382

if i'm JAL basic member, can i make use of their lounge at new chitose airport?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #6383
Arch-Supremacy Member

It so happens i had already slotted Kamikochi with hiking during my stay in Takayama, and i plan to do Shin Hotaka on the same day as well.

I'm not that enthusiastic about snow, and seeing all white is pretty boring to me, unless if there's a sea of clouds to be seen with.

Hakone seems to offer more things to do with the ropeway and greenery trekking, and it seems transport cost won't be as high as tateyama, of which if i were to take all transport it could cost me up to 8000 - 10000 yen a day, whereas with the Hakone Pass bought on Odawara JR Station, it should set me back 5,000 yen for 2 days.

With that in mind, would you recommend that its better for me to visit hakone instead?
personally, i would go for alpine route. since u are already going chubu region might as well visit alpine route. coz it is less likely that u will visit chubu area again so soon. whereas hakone is quite near tokyo, and the likelihood of going tokyo is probably much higher. so u can just leave it for another trip.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #6384
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone did this itinerary in a day?

Shibuya + Hachiko Statue
Meiji Shrine
Yogogi Park
Takeshita Street
Harajuku
Seri
Shinjuku
Piss Alley
Ikebukuro + Sunshine City

Is it do-able or will it be too rush?

Tia.
Can ah, just a matter of how much time you can spend on each stop only.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #6385

anything you must do in Kobe?

not exactly a must visit type of place. and nara to kobe takes 1hr+. or don't group nara and kobe on same day.
wanna go eat Kobe beef. i also wanna walk around the Chinatown / Harborland and then probably take the ropeway to enjoy the night view before heading back to Osaka. my other days in Osaka i dunno how to make out the time to head to Kobe on separate days.. can you give advice?

Day 1 (Sat) reach Osaka from Kyoto, then go Umeda shopping -> Shinsaibashi / Dontonburi
Day 2 (Sun) Morning leave for Nara [Nara Park/Kokufuji/Higashimuki Shopping Street] --> Noon head to Kobe [Chinatown/Harborland/Shin-KObe Ropeway] --> Osaka

Day 3 (Mon) Kaiyukan Aquarium / Explore Tempozan Shopping

Day 4 (Tues) Kuromon Ichiba Market --> Owl Cafe (need to queue for slots) --> Tennoji shopping / Shinsekai / Tsutenkaku

Day 5 (Wed) Full day in USJ

Day 6 (Thurs) Depart for SG
Old 03-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #6386
Arch-Supremacy Member

If I wanna go Ashikaga Flower Park, can use Tokyo Wide Pass for whole journey?

Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #6387

If I wanna go Ashikaga Flower Park, can use Tokyo Wide Pass for whole journey?

Change the routes to JR Lines only.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #6388

How does printer at Lawson (or other convenience stores) work?

Can I access their internet there, then log in to my email/other platforms where I buy attraction tickets online, then print out?

or die die must use a thumbdrive? Please advise... urgent =/

Carousell sellers selling attraction tickets still cannot confirm my ticket order, so I might need to buy from Klook, and Klook needs people to print out physical tickets for Disneyland
Old 03-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #6389
Arch-Supremacy Member

Change the routes to JR Lines only.
Managed to find the answer from another thread.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ja...#post101432096

Finally done writing my itinerary and done flight / accommodation booking, can't believe I did everything within 24hrs

1 SIN -> Tokyo (stay)
2 Ashikaga Flower Park -> Tokyo (stay)
3 Hitachi Seaside Park -> Tokyo (stay)
4 Fuji Shibazakura Festival -> Tokyo (stay)
5 Tokyo -> Takayama (stay)
6 Takayama (stay)
7 Shirakawa-go -> Takayama (stay)
8 Kamikochi -> Takayama (stay)
9 Kurobe Dam -> Takayama (stay)
10 Takayama -> Nagoya (stay)
11 Nagoya -> SIN

Marking my 23th ~ 26th prefectures visited.
IMANOOB likes this.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #6390

Managed to find the answer from another thread.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ja...#post101432096

Finally done writing my itinerary and done flight / accommodation booking, can't believe I did everything within 24hrs

1 SIN -> Tokyo (stay)
2 Ashikaga Flower Park -> Tokyo (stay)
3 Hitachi Seaside Park -> Tokyo (stay)
4 Fuji Shibazakura Festival -> Tokyo (stay)
5 Tokyo -> Takayama (stay)
6 Takayama (stay)
7 Shirakawa-go -> Takayama (stay)
8 Kamikochi -> Takayama (stay)
9 Kurobe Dam -> Takayama (stay)
10 Takayama -> Nagoya (stay)
11 Nagoya -> SIN

Marking my 23th ~ 26th prefectures visited.
Is Kurobe dam that worth it to visit in May Majimax? I actually wanted to scrap my Toyama leg because of the whole Tateyama still covered in snow thing. I plan to change it to Hakone instead.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.