HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #6526
Arch-Supremacy Member

I will be at Kanazawa in July with wife. We were planning to go Shirakawa-go for a day trip. Do you have any recommendations for a day tour?

The cheapest seems to have the hokuriku highway bus (3300 yen).

http://www.hokutetsu.co.jp/en/en_highway-takayama

The guided day tours I found seems to include Takayama and the senbei making which we don't want.

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/det...tcd=M43&sbit=4
Just buy the bus tickets and go on your own. You don't need to take any day tours because the village is very small. Very easy to walk around on your own.
Old 14-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #6527
Master Member

Hi All,

I'll be Landing in SIN-CTS-Memanbetsu Airport on Oct 6 ard 1400hrs doing a solo trip in hokkaido.

Was thinking should i stay in Abashiri or Shiretoko-Shari Station

Oct 7, Take the Shari Bus to tour around the shiretoko are. Shiretoko Roman Fureai Gou Course A, B, C, any idea how can i book this?

After which tour ends, take train to Kushiro.
Oct 8, Take Akan tour, Pirika Gou,
One day trip going to Kushiro Marshland - Lake Mashu - Lake Akan
Stay over at Lake Akan hot spring. Any idea how can i book this

Oct 9, Take intercity bus from Lake Akan to Asahikawa
Any idea how can i book this

Or any comment on this plan? havent book air ticket, can drive but then exploring the idea of taking public transport. think driving will be slightly more expensive.

Cheers
if you intend to go shiretoko using shari bus and then going lake akan, can consider Hotel Grantia Shiretoko Shari Ekimae. that's what my friend did recently when he came to sleep over the night, and the next day took shari bus to shiretoko 5 lakes, after that took the train to kushiro (for the tour trip to lake akan, ya using pirika gou which can be reserved online)

i would prefer landing at asahikawa, take train to abashiri for a day tour, then go shiretoko shari to stay the night for the next day tour before going kushiro (to go lake akan, marshland...)

in fact during the train trip between shiretoko shari and kushiro, u can see the marshland, but it's a 3+hour non-express train journey mind you.... that's what my friend said again
Old 14-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #6528

Plan to get Ghibli tickets from JTB but need a hotel booking for 1 night first in selected prefectures. Do they overcharge hotel bookings or are the rates comparable to online?
Old 14-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #6529
High Supremacy Member

Plan to get Ghibli tickets from JTB but need a hotel booking for 1 night first in selected prefectures. Do they overcharge hotel bookings or are the rates comparable to online?
http://www.lawson.co.jp/ghibli/museum/ticket/

Use I-Tike can ownself buy without such restrictions

Even next month still got many tickets available!

I-Tike quite easy to use. Last time i use to buy baseball tickets in Japan from Singapore

Otherwise, friendly call to your Hotel ask them buy for you.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #6530

Hi all,

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding to Japan.
Japan Trip Adviser here.
Been to Japan 31 times already in 8 yrs.
I'll try my best to answer. (^_^)

Here are the places i have been to.

21 prefectures:
Hokkaido, Aomori, Niigata, Tokyo, Yokohama, Shizuoka, Gotemba,
Nagoya, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Okayama, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Tokushima, Takayama, Shirakawago, Okinawa, Nikko、Koyasan/Wakayama

Rules:
1) Pls quote your original message when replying so that everybody knows what's going on.

Have resigned from my full time job, so you should be able to get instant responses on the day itself (if i am not busy... )
Now a full time teacher. =)

Thank you. =)

FAQs
1) What's the weather in Japan like during ~?
See here

Best regards,
Can
Hi, those normal eatery selling ramen accept credit card? Example citibank, Maybank, POSB?
Or only major shopping mall?
How about those pharmacy shops?

About the weather, I guess is raining season in June. But wont be too cold? A tshirt and short is fine? Just layer with a jacket for night time outing?
Old 14-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #6531
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes they overcharged by quite a lot.

Either buy online from Lawsons, or go to Airfrov and get frequent travellers to get for you. I got mine via Airfrov last year.
Old 15-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #6532

Yes they overcharged by quite a lot.

Either buy online from Lawsons, or go to Airfrov and get frequent travellers to get for you. I got mine via Airfrov last year.
http://www.lawson.co.jp/ghibli/museum/ticket/

Use I-Tike can ownself buy without such restrictions

Even next month still got many tickets available!

I-Tike quite easy to use. Last time i use to buy baseball tickets in Japan from Singapore

Otherwise, friendly call to your Hotel ask them buy for you.
Thanks! Too much airbnb that I almost forgot hotel concierges

I suppose they can also help to reserve Disney restaurants? That one need 4-5 months to book ahead even during off-peak season.

Update: Not sure why but when I click the site for overseas visitors (https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop), all tickets are sold out but the Japanese link is still available.

Last edited by Spintronics; 15-05-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Old 15-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #6533
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, those normal eatery selling ramen accept credit card? Example citibank, Maybank, POSB?
Or only major shopping mall?
How about those pharmacy shops?

About the weather, I guess is raining season in June. But wont be too cold? A tshirt and short is fine? Just layer with a jacket for night time outing?
Ramen is strictly cash. Need to buy ticket from machine. Ticket machines are commonly used there.

Most small eating places are strictly cash only.

Last edited by s7460597; 15-05-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Old 15-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #6534
Master Member

hi, planning to go japan for 7 days.
which is better for first timers?
landing in narita or osaka?
Old 15-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #6535
Master Member

Haneda if that is an option. Kix can be long immigration queue and is about one hour train ride from Osaka.
Old 15-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #6536
Arch-Supremacy Member

There's no better or worse. Depends on where you want to go. First trip suggest going Tokyo and surrounding areas. In which case either Haneda or Narita airport. Haneda is nearer the city.
Old 15-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #6537
High Supremacy Member

Thanks! Too much airbnb that I almost forgot hotel concierges

I suppose they can also help to reserve Disney restaurants? That one need 4-5 months to book ahead even during off-peak season.

Update: Not sure why but when I click the site for overseas visitors (https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop), all tickets are sold out but the Japanese link is still available.
Japan always double standard one! that is why, use Japanese website instead to book.

I think concierges can do many stuff as long as you ask
Old 15-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #6538
Master Member

There's no better or worse. Depends on where you want to go. First trip suggest going Tokyo and surrounding areas. In which case either Haneda or Narita airport. Haneda is nearer the city.
Haneda if that is an option. Kix can be long immigration queue and is about one hour train ride from Osaka.
awesome, thanks guys !!

and how long does it take to travel from tokyo to hokkaido?
Old 16-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #6539
Great Supremacy Member

awesome, thanks guys !!

and how long does it take to travel from tokyo to hokkaido?
Looking to see if can include Hokkaido in a short 7 days trip?

Don't waste time imho, 7 days also not enough for Tokyo..
Old 16-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #6540

anyone tried renting bikes from http://minaport.jp/en/ before?

how's their rental duration like? seems like one of the better ones since can use till late as long as within 24hrs and return station is still open
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.