Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

0limshs

Reaction score
Hi, we are flying to tokyo end of dec. Possible to do 5 days at Hokkaido with domestic flight and 4 days at Tokyo?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, we are flying to tokyo end of dec. Possible to do 5 days at Hokkaido with domestic flight and 4 days at Tokyo?

yes, doable.. it all depends on wat u want to cover. but hokkaido is a huge place, so u wun be able to cover much in 5 days. probably just sapporo, otaru, and maybe a night or 2 in a ski resort?

personally, i would plan for at least 2 weeks just for hokkaido. coz need to spend on domestic flight, might as well make full use of the trip.

0limshs

Reaction score
yes, doable.. it all depends on wat u want to cover. but hokkaido is a huge place, so u wun be able to cover much in 5 days. probably just sapporo, otaru, and maybe a night or 2 in a ski resort?

personally, i would plan for at least 2 weeks just for hokkaido. coz need to spend on domestic flight, might as well make full use of the trip.

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply, as we are travelling with two young kids therefore we limit our trip to about a week, not easy handling two big luggage with two children plus every year we have limited leave too....Actually our initial idea is to fly to Hokkaido straight but air tix not cheap. But at least now I have the option of 9 days Tokyo or 5days Hokkaido+4days Tokyo.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your quick reply, as we are travelling with two young kids therefore we limit our trip to about a week, not easy handling two big luggage with two children plus every year we have limited leave too....Actually our initial idea is to fly to Hokkaido straight but air tix not cheap. But at least now I have the option of 9 days Tokyo or 5days Hokkaido+4days Tokyo.

if you not experienced Japan traveler and depending on your preference, it might be better to do Tokyo + outskirts.

take it easy, bring them go themepark. Then plan to go again later cos they can't really remember being in the themepark :s13:

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
about car rental in japan, say i pickup car at 10am … so 1 day rental means from 10am ~ next day 10am or 12am same day?

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a 9 days trip to Japan, would 4 days in osaka + 5 days in tokyo be good? First time going there as F&E.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
about car rental in japan, say i pickup car at 10am … so 1 day rental means from 10am ~ next day 10am or 12am same day?

i think it depends on the rental company.
so far those that i booked from (times, budget, nippon etc) is all based on 12hrs blocks, so is return at 10am.
i have seen those that charge by per hour also

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a 9 days trip to Japan, would 4 days in osaka + 5 days in tokyo be good? First time going there as F&E.

personally i will just stick to tokyo and nearby places such as lake kawaguchi and hakone.

osaka and tokyo is quite far apart and it will be expensive to travel between these 2 cities. u can always save osaka for another trip, together with other parts of kansai region, such as kyoto, nara and kobe, especially since there are direct flight from sg to osaka

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
personally i will just stick to tokyo and nearby places such as lake kawaguchi and hakone.

osaka and tokyo is quite far apart and it will be expensive to travel between these 2 cities. u can always save osaka for another trip, together with other parts of kansai region, such as kyoto, nara and kobe, especially since there are direct flight from sg to osaka

So, its not advisable to do day trips in Osaka to Kobe, Nara, Kyoto with JR pass and then to Toyko on 5th day? i scared got not many places to go in Tokyo and not going to USJ as well.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So, its not advisable to do day trips in Osaka to Kobe, Nara, Kyoto with JR pass and then to Toyko on 5th day? i scared got not many places to go in Tokyo and not going to USJ as well.

not advisable!
it is 3hrs by shinkansen between tokyo and osaka. so u will be spending 6hrs on the train everyday. quite a waste of time, and quite tiring too.

if osaka and USJ is a must, then stay a few days in osaka to visit kyoto and nara as well.

best is of coz to just stick to tokyo and surrounding area, so u dun have to purchase JR pass which is expensive. there are many places in tokyo itself. disney will take u 2 full days already, and the main attractions in tokyo probably 3-4 days at least. and u can do side trips such as a day trip to yokohama, or 2-3 days to hakone and/or lake kawaguchi. nikko is also good for a day or 2.

yoally

Reaction score
Hello, any recommendations for lodging in tokyo? Or which area to stay? First time in tokyo so appreciate any help! Thanks!

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Even if not going to any theme parks, Tokyo alone will take many trips (note that I said trips, not days) to cover - you can't possibly be done in Tokyo in just 5 days, no matter what kind of tourist you are. Scenery? There's Mount Fuji, national parks (Ueno Park, Shinjuku Gyoen etc). Foodie? Plenty of very good dining establishments (Michelin star or not is up to you and your wallet) in Tokyo itself. Cultural? Lots of shrines and temples in Tokyo too. Otaku? Akihabara. Young and hip? Harajuku, Shimokitazawa. And these are only just the general areas that tourists would visit. Each place take at least half a day or a full day to explore. Most of the time it's difficult to combine more than 2 places to visit in a day because of shops/attractions' opening hours. And if you visit during fall/winter, the day time is even shorter, so that's another consideration to take into account for.

Tokyo is so big that I would hardly think anyone would feel there's "nothing to do" there. In fact, after the first trip, most people will be left feeling "too many places/things/food to explore/do/eat, too little time!"... :s13:

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks! i will check further with those car rental, my experiences only limited to tocoo! looking to rent car in sapporo & hakone/nikko(undecided yet) for upcoming trip
i think it depends on the rental company.
so far those that i booked from (times, budget, nippon etc) is all based on 12hrs blocks, so is return at 10am.
i have seen those that charge by per hour also

nemo88

Reaction score
Even if not going to any theme parks, Tokyo alone will take many trips (note that I said trips, not days) to cover - you can't possibly be done in Tokyo in just 5 days, no matter what kind of tourist you are. Scenery? There's Mount Fuji, national parks (Ueno Park, Shinjuku Gyoen etc). Foodie? Plenty of very good dining establishments (Michelin star or not is up to you and your wallet) in Tokyo itself. Cultural? Lots of shrines and temples in Tokyo too. Otaku? Akihabara. Young and hip? Harajuku, Shimokitazawa. And these are only just the general areas that tourists would visit. Each place take at least half a day or a full day to explore. Most of the time it's difficult to combine more than 2 places to visit in a day because of shops/attractions' opening hours. And if you visit during fall/winter, the day time is even shorter, so that's another consideration to take into account for.

Tokyo is so big that I would hardly think anyone would feel there's "nothing to do" there. In fact, after the first trip, most people will be left feeling "too many places/things/food to explore/do/eat, too little time!"... :s13:

Ya boy I go for a week and cannot do everything I have on my list, and I’ve already already been to Tokyo maybe 10 times in the past 8-9 years.

grynove

Reaction score
i would say its sufficient. i prefer less destination. too many places is too rush. the idea of f&e is relax and taking our sweet time

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello, any recommendations for lodging in tokyo? Or which area to stay? First time in tokyo so appreciate any help! Thanks!

I stayed in Red Planet Hotel in Asakusa and am very happy with it, so I will be staying there again soon.
If you book on Ctrip.com, you can get a good rate but it is best to check for the best rates on hotelscombined.com.

Asakusa is not on the Yamanote line, though.
But it is still very convenient to get around.
Also Asakusa is a relatively quiet town and I like it that way.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I ask how to take the bus in Kyoto?
Do I board from the back then alight from the front?
Do I have to collect a ticket on boarding the bus, then show it to the driver when I alight, then tap the bus card ? Is the pasmo card accepted there?

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buses in kyoto are operated by a single driver, so you board from the rear, and alight from the front exit next to the driver, which is when you pay for your ride.

when you board the bus, you either 1) collect a paper chit from a ticket dispenser machine as you climb up the steps. It is usually on the right hand side as you get on. The paper ticket has a red number printed on it that says which bus stop you got on or 2) tap your IC card (pasmo, icoca, suica, etc) on the card reader which is usually next to the ticket dispenser. In this case, you do not need to collect a ticket from the dispenser.

when you want to get down, you have to press the bell to alert the driver. But do not get up from your seat if you are seated, and do not move to the front either. Passengers are not supposed to walk about the bus when it is moving. The bus driver will wait for you to alight so do not rush.

If you are paying cash, there is a machine next to the driver near the door for this. You are supposed to drop your coins and the paper ticket into the machine which has a clear plastic hood on top. Check how much you have to pay by looking at the large LED screen in front of the bus, looking for the fare that correspond to the number on your ticket. However, most buses travelling in the city centre area in Kyoto has a fixed fare (230 yen) so it doesn't matter so much. And these buses usually do not issue tickets when you board the bus either. If you have tapped your IC card when you got on the bus, now is the time to tap the card again on a reader next to the plastic hood where you drop your coins.

If you have insufficient coins, there is a coin changer by the side of the machine which accepts 1000 yen notes only. If you have even bigger notes, you have to change it with the bus driver.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I ask how to take the bus in Kyoto?
Do I board from the back then alight from the front?
Do I have to collect a ticket on boarding the bus, then show it to the driver when I alight, then tap the bus card ? Is the pasmo card accepted there?

Just buy a suica card.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious to check if you all would go to theme parks alone though? Am gonna travel solo.

And if so, USJ or disneyland? Both are quite similar in prices. But i prefer the thrills of rides, so im guessing USJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.