Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #6931
Supremacy Member

Hotel Kinki at umeda?
JUst booked this hotel for Jan 2018 trip. Cheap cause saving almost 2 nights' booking due to Hotel.com 10 nights get 1 night free
Old 15-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #6932
Master Member

With the rising yen, is UNIQLO and GU still cheaper? Wondering if worth to make a trip to Ginza to shop
Old 15-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #6933

With the rising yen, is UNIQLO and GU still cheaper? Wondering if worth to make a trip to Ginza to shop
Only for stuff on sale and in the promo/clearance baskets, and maybe for stuff you can't get in SG. Otherwise I don't feel the price savings is worth hauling Uniqlo stuff back. Rather get other things.
gumbokins likes this.
Old 16-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #6934
Master Member

Was looking at airbnb places, any ideas on where is good area to stay in:
Osaka - Dotonbori?
Kyoto - Gion?
Tokyo - Shinjuku?
is it possible to use bicycles to explore places?
Old 16-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #6935
Arch-Supremacy Member

Osaka - Dotonbori?
Kyoto - Gion?
Tokyo - Shinjuku?
do check if airbnb is legalise yet during ur period of travel. it was previous illegal in most parts of japan, but recently they changed the ruling, so i not sure wat is the status

osaka - dotonbori is good... lots of eateries and shops. u can also consider umeda area. many malls and good train connections to most places within and outside osaka

kyoto - u may want to stay near kyoto station coz there may not be much to do at night. alternatively, can stay at osaka and make trips to kyoto

tokyo - shinjuku is good. can consider ueno as well

tokyo and osaka are big cities, probably not so suitable to cycle due to traffic and crowd. easier to just take train to get around
kyoto is getting overcrowded with ppl, not sure if it is suitable for cycling anymore
kennysme likes this.
Old 17-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #6936
Master Member

in order to catch hokkaido's cherry blossom, means first week of may? how abt last week of apr?
Old 17-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #6937

do check if airbnb is legalise yet during ur period of travel. it was previous illegal in most parts of japan, but recently they changed the ruling, so i not sure wat is the status
what if airbnb isn't legal? what are the implications? get caught and be deported?

i have been going to japan for the past 3 years and stayed at airbnb every time. no problem so far.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #6938

Osaka - Dotonbori?
Kyoto - Gion?
Tokyo - Shinjuku?
I booked a budget place opposite myogadani (near ikebukuro), 2 pax room but share toilet with owner only $40+ per night. budget option cos I prefer to spend $ on food
kennysme likes this.
Old 18-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #6939
Arch-Supremacy Member

what if airbnb isn't legal? what are the implications? get caught and be deported?

i have been going to japan for the past 3 years and stayed at airbnb every time. no problem so far.
Not so serious lah.. Just that u may end up with scrambling to find accom in the last min if ur airbnb kanna shutdown
Old 18-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #6940
Arch-Supremacy Member

in order to catch hokkaido's cherry blossom, means first week of may? how abt last week of apr?
Just as with other parts of japan, cherry blossom is heng suay one. The periods stated is just based on past norms. So even if u go early may, there may be chances that u cant catch it
Old 18-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #6941
Master Member

Just as with other parts of japan, cherry blossom is heng suay one. The periods stated is just based on past norms. So even if u go early may, there may be chances that u cant catch it
By when will know the forecast? Cause I'll be there for abt 8-9 days so agar might hit dao the week.

Old 20-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #6942
Arch-Supremacy Member

By when will know the forecast? Cause I'll be there for abt 8-9 days so agar might hit dao the week.
usually a more accurate forecast will be out 1-2 months before. and even tt is subjected to change
Old 20-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #6943
Greater Supremacy Member

Think most times the risk is that most of us plan and book holidays couple months or even half year in advance - so unless you plan and book literally last minute to catch the flowering. Esp if wife and self working .....
Old 21-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #6944

Talking Trip to Japan: Round trip or One way

Hi there ! really need some advice.

I am planning to go to Japan in December, somewhere between 5 dec to 14 dec. (10 days)

My main purpose is to go to osaka, nara, kyoto and tokyo.

I'm wondering whether it is cheaper and better to
1) Travel to Tokyo and back from Tokyo, and this means bullet train to and fro Osaka
or
2) One way to Osaka and back to SG from Tokyo, means need to buy one train ticket from osaka to tokyo

Which is better?
Thanks so much in advance!!!
Old 21-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #6945
Greater Supremacy Member

Hi there ! really need some advice.

I am planning to go to Japan in December, somewhere between 5 dec to 14 dec. (10 days)

My main purpose is to go to osaka, nara, kyoto and tokyo.

I'm wondering whether it is cheaper and better to
1) Travel to Tokyo and back from Tokyo, and this means bullet train to and fro Osaka
or
2) One way to Osaka and back to SG from Tokyo, means need to buy one train ticket from osaka to tokyo

Which is better?
Thanks so much in advance!!!
Check the airfare first - the diff might be substantial between your two routing. Hence may be more economical to take a to-fro-train (which then would justify a rail pass).
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.