HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #691
Supremacy Member

Dont go within 100km in diameter of Fukushima, although the safety distance is 80km (friendly warning from an US friend working in the power industry).
LOL like that many people will have gone within your safety zone.
Every time you take the Shinkansen up to the north, the train will pass within 60km of Fukushima Daiichi for quite a distance.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #692
Arch-Supremacy Member

LOL like that many people will have gone within your safety zone.
Every time you take the Shinkansen up to the north, the train will pass within 60km of Fukushima Daiichi for quite a distance.
mai blur lah... inside the airtight cabin of Shinkansen, drinking from bottled water and on foot within 60km of Fukushima Daiichi and drinking from underground well water is totally different thing wor.

kao! if you are standing in front of me, i will slap you at the back of your head.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #693
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks! We have visited Nikko before though. Shall check out that region.
Some infor
とちŽ観…‰ƒ‰”‚‚ƒ‰…式ƒ›ƒƒ*ƒšƒ‚ : Tochigi-Ji-Guide in English

https://www.tochigiji.or.jp/library/pdf/dw/guide_en.pdf

Last edited by cpuer; 30-10-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 30-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #694
High Supremacy Member

no matter what Seoul or Singapore has more radiation per square kilometre compared to Tokyo.

Even Chernobyl is teeming with wildlife within the exclusion zones.
Old 30-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #695
Supremacy Member

mai blur lah... inside the airtight cabin of Shinkansen, drinking from bottled water and on foot within 60km of Fukushima Daiichi and drinking from underground well water is totally different thing wor.

kao! if you are standing in front of me, i will slap you at the back of your head.
Eh who drinks from underground well water nowadays? And Shinkansen is not airtight as commonly believed to be. It has valves that release pressure during running.
http://www.jrtr.net/jrtr58/pdf/51-60web.pdf

I think you are creating unnecessary fear, uncertainty and doubt with your assertion that nobody should travel within 80-100km of Fukushima Daiichi.
Old 30-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #696
Arch-Supremacy Member

Eh who drinks from underground well water nowadays? And Shinkansen is not airtight as commonly believed to be. It has valves that release pressure during running.
http://www.jrtr.net/jrtr58/pdf/51-60web.pdf

I think you are creating unnecessary fear, uncertainty and doubt with your assertion that nobody should travel within 80-100km of Fukushima Daiichi.
Safety is of the most important. Your life, you like to take unnecessary risk is your problem.
Old 30-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #697
High Supremacy Member

.__.

there is no such thing as zero radiation... u ask me, the radiation from our mobiles are not properly studied to ensure that such prolonged close proximity exposure is okay...

.___.

so we should ditch our handphones for safety?
Old 30-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #698
Master Member

Thks!

any idea how long the bus ride from kansai airport to the port.

and from kobe port to sannomiya??/

Went tot he website link u gave.. couldn't find info for those?

Also, luggage allow? any size limitation?

going w 28" luggage.
Ana ?
best not above 30inch as due to new regulations
or best go to Ana website check your total luggage dimension
Old 30-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #699
Master Member

Dont play play in Hokkaido during winter. Some places along the roadside, the snow is 1m deep, imagine your car roll over it and get stuck, all come down to push. Then you try to use your mobile phone and found no signal, you have to walk 15 km to get to the nearest stop in freezing temperature of -5 degree C. And it is slippery to walk on hard snow or ice, old folks very easily fall, blue-black swollen is still okay, worry trigger heart attack or stroke if health not so good.

If you really want to enjoy Hokkaido, can go during the summer, 15-22 degree C... very enjoyable.

I visit Japan only go one place - Tokyo for foods and shoppings. Generally not a sightseeing guy.
went Sapporo otaru few times liao even caught in a blizzard
overall I find it OK
even train & flightv delay hahhah

overall I still. enjoy mine snow blizzard hokkiado
plus I'm a skinny ninja I still can endure epic cold hokkiado

the person need do homework & prepare the proper warm equipment
Old 30-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #700

Trains and Passes

Leaving for Japan in 2 days time, suddenly have questions:
1. ICOCA or Surutto Kansai prepaid for Kyoto? I read that not all trains and buses accept ICOCA in Kyoto. If I only planning to go Kyoto and Nara but staying in Osaka for the night, do I still need to buy ICOCA?
2. Do they have different ticket gates for different lines? If not, how do I know which card can be used for which train? I believe the prepaid card deduct the fare when you exit in destination station (like our ezlink)?
3. For connecting trains, do I need to exit the ticket gate and enter again?

Sorry if I sounded silly
Old 30-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #701
Arch-Supremacy Member

.__.

there is no such thing as zero radiation... u ask me, the radiation from our mobiles are not properly studied to ensure that such prolonged close proximity exposure is okay...

.___.

so we should ditch our handphones for safety?
I have been using mobile since the Motorola water bottle era and the exposure to mobile phone radiation all these years i still standing, eat well and enjoying life.

Cant say the same on those brave firemen that risk their life spraying water into the leaked reactor container, how many still alive today?

.__________.
Old 30-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #702

Leaving for Japan in 2 days time, suddenly have questions:
1. ICOCA or Surutto Kansai prepaid for Kyoto? I read that not all trains and buses accept ICOCA in Kyoto. If I only planning to go Kyoto and Nara but staying in Osaka for the night, do I still need to buy ICOCA?
2. Do they have different ticket gates for different lines? If not, how do I know which card can be used for which train? I believe the prepaid card deduct the fare when you exit in destination station (like our ezlink)?
3. For connecting trains, do I need to exit the ticket gate and enter again?

Sorry if I sounded silly
1. ICOCA is like exactly like the EZlink card. You can buy it and top it up as you need when you travel between Kyoto, Nara and Osaka. Unless you're going far off the beaten path, you should be able to use it everywhere you go. Alternatively, you can buy individual tickets, but that's a lot more inconvenient esp if you're changing between train systems.

2. Yes. Eg, if you take a JR train and need to connect to a Hankyu train, you need to get out of the JR station and into the Hankyu station. ICOCA can be tapped at both stations.

3. Not for connecting trains on the same line. Eg, if you are transferring JR trains, you stay within the train station.
Old 30-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #703

Hi going to Tokyo free and easy in Nov. may I ask where to book day tour to Mt Fuji and Hakone.
Shall I book in sin or Tokyo?
Thanks
Japan I can Mt. Fuji & Hakone 1-Day Tour (With lunch) | JAPAN TOURS: Enjoy Your Japan Vacation With These Travel Packages - JAPANiCAN or The Grey Line Japan Gray Line, Travel & Tour Japan company. Which one to choose?

I will be staying at Shinjuku Washington Tokyo and they have Grey Line tour counter which they provide pick up and drop off where i will staying.

Many thanks
Old 31-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #704
High Supremacy Member

Japan I can Mt. Fuji & Hakone 1-Day Tour (With lunch) | JAPAN TOURS: Enjoy Your Japan Vacation With These Travel Packages - JAPANiCAN or The Grey Line Japan Gray Line, Travel & Tour Japan company. Which one to choose?

I will be staying at Shinjuku Washington Tokyo and they have Grey Line tour counter which they provide pick up and drop off where i will staying.

Many thanks
get a Fuji Hakone Pass 7200 yen, DIY is cheaper.
Rail Pass: Fuji Hakone Pass
Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #705

Hi, have some questions regarding JR pass and train taking:

I would be going to Hokkaido for 7 days but after doing a rough calculation on the train fares, realise that there wouldn't be much difference between buying a pass or just buying train tickets per train trip over there.

1. Would it still be advisable to purchase the JR pass even though the difference, for my case, is about $10?

2. How easy is it to purchase the train tickets over there? Using ticket vending machine like our mrt? Currently all I have are 10000 yen notes so I'm not too sure if it would be easy to get smaller change if I'm in a hurry to catch my first train from the airport to Hakodate.

3. How do I make purchase for reserved seating? I'm worried I'm not able to get seats especially for trips that are more than 1hr. With JR pass, what I gathered is it is already paid for and included in the pass, just have to approach the JR staff at the station for reservation correct? Does the same thing applies for single trip tickets as well other than you have to top up more for the reserved seats? Do I have to look for the JR staff as well?

4. Anyone tried this online reservation system before?
https://www3.jrhokkaido.co.jp/rail-en/html/index.aspx

Thanks!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.