HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #7636
Supremacy Member

anybody knows why i can bring back fresh produce from kyushu but not possible from okinawa?
Old 21-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #7637

the pass covers train ride on the odakyu and the train systems over there

I am not so sure if you need a car to explore Hakone. Just my own opinion since almost all the attractions in Hakone can be accessed by the pass covered options

I used hyperdia and checked the cost of going from Shinjuku to Karuizawa which is 5,500. Then from Karuizawa to Haneda is just a touch above 6k. Total is like close to 12k.

IF you are checking into the Prince ski resort. you very much are going to just stay there, rent a bike to go to the old town area and your Karuizawa is pretty much done. In fact, I would not go anywhere. Max time on the snow, eat, sleep, more time on snow....

NEX to Shinjuku (no change) is 2990

you are still under the cost of the 17k pass.... if you want cheaper transport out of Narita, you need to like use the keisei liner or another service instead of the NEX.
Thanks ... So if i buy the 14day JR Pass (17K) I just have to make sure the 4 days i spend in Tokyo i max out my train rides to above 2K correct? i plan to travel to places like shibuya / askausa / ginza / etc tourists spots ... do you think all train rides in the 4 days will exceed 2K?

i will reconsider the car hire in Hakone ...

Thanks again - you've been a great help Cancer81!
Old 21-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #7638
High Supremacy Member

Thanks ... So if i buy the 14day JR Pass (17K) I just have to make sure the 4 days i spend in Tokyo i max out my train rides to above 2K correct? i plan to travel to places like shibuya / askausa / ginza / etc tourists spots ... do you think all train rides in the 4 days will exceed 2K?

i will reconsider the car hire in Hakone ...

Thanks again - you've been a great help Cancer81!
take note of the JR-East Pass rule, it is a flexible 5 day pass. When you use it on say 12th of Dec, it will get a dated stamp. The pass will be used up once u have 5 stamps.

Day 4 Travel back to Tokyo for 4 nights (Stay near Shinjuku)

Day 8 Travel to Karuizawa Ski

Day 10 Karuizawa to Haneda Airport
Day 2 and 3 is covered by Hakone 2 day pass. You will be back in Shinjuku station.

There are 7 days after that and you do not quite need a pass in Tokyo unless you decide that you want to go on day trips. I do not know your group makeup and if you got the appetite for day trips.

I sort of counted and even add in a NEX ride when you land since you can use the pass I mentioned 5 times in 14 days and each time is considered 1 of the 5 days.

It is still not covered. To justify a pass, you should go over it's cost. The 3 day Tokyo wide pass is 10k, you currently clock in just 11k for the shinkansen to Karuizawa (5500) and then your trip to Haneda from Karuizawa (6120)

If you slotted in something after you leave Hakone, you might justify the more expensive JR East Pass
Old 22-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #7639
Supremacy Member

anybody knows why i can bring back fresh produce from kyushu but not possible from okinawa?
i think there is a rule against bringing fresh fruits and vegetables in singapore customs...
Old 22-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #7640
Supremacy Member

Is the weather info on iphone accurate? Kyoto tokyo ard 6-8 deg C? So cold ardy..
yesterday morning 8am going to work was 4 deg here in kyoto
Old 22-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #7641
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi. Just booked a trip to travel to sapporo on 9 feb next year. Due to snow festival. The hotel rate around sapporo are super expensive even further away also not cheap as long are nearby any tourists attractions . I always travel on budget and any ideas where is the nearest cheapest accommodation. It is ok to stay at tomakoma and make day trip to sapporo during the winter period. (9 feb - 15 feb)
Budget can try airbnb or hostel?
Old 22-11-2017, 12:35 AM   #7642

As long as you're not carting back cartons of stuff, I wouldn't worry too much. My suitcase is 50% food whenever I travel, fruits, seafood, cheese....
Old 22-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #7643

Is the weather info on iphone accurate? Kyoto tokyo ard 6-8 deg C? So cold ardy..
I always rely on http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/319.html. Very accurate for today and the next 2-3 days. Slight changes might happen but it wont deviate much.
Old 22-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #7644
Supremacy Member

dear senpais, need some advise on which area to stay for my trip on feb next year. like good amenities, transport nearby.

hiroshima - 2 nights (1 whole day at mijiyama, other day is atomic bomb center, castle, etc..)
Old 22-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #7645

Day 2 and 3 is covered by Hakone 2 day pass. You will be back in Shinjuku station.
Thanks ... So the Hakone 2 day pass can let me take from Shinjuku to Odawara station (direct) then change train to Hakone-Yumoto station using the Odakyu Limited Express "Romancecar" / Approx. 85 minutes?

If yes is it better to rent the car from Odawara or Yumoto station? I'm staying in a hotel near Lake Ashi and don't think there's direct bus nor train.

Also do i need a 2 day or 3 day Hakone Pass if I'm leaving Shinjuku on Sat 8am and back Mon 11 am? Not sure how they count the days ...

Thanks

Last edited by incredible99; 22-11-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Old 22-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #7646

Thanks ... what about trip into Shinjuku from Narita and the days in Tokyo? What's most economical?
Access bus ¥1,000, followed by train to Shinjuku from Tokyo station ¥200.

The rest of the days - use Suica.
Old 22-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #7647

If yes is it better to rent the car from Odawara or Yumoto station? I'm staying in a hotel near Lake Ashi and don't think there's direct bus nor train.

Also do i need a 2 day or 3 day Hakone Pass if I'm leaving Shinjuku on Sat 8am and back Mon 11 am? Not sure how they count the days ...

Thanks
I am in almost the same situation as you except that I am travelling to Kawaguchiko for 2 nights after a night in Hakone. I think for you case, a 2-day Hakone free pass will suffice.

I will be taking the train to Odawara and pick up the rented car from there. I am still contemplating if I should get the Hakone free pass even with the car. I am not sure if we will be missing out on the cable car, ropeway and ferry rides. And if some places are accessible with the rented car eg Owakudani. Can anyone care to advise?
Old 22-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #7648
Supremacy Member

i think there is a rule against bringing fresh fruits and vegetables in singapore customs...
As long as you're not carting back cartons of stuff, I wouldn't worry too much. My suitcase is 50% food whenever I travel, fruits, seafood, cheese....
i've brought back fresh fruits such as strawberries, apples, persimmons, even sweet potatoes and pumpkins, without issue when going thru singapore customs.

my first okinawa trip is this dec and i heard that fresh produce is disallowed. anybody knows why?
Old 22-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #7649

dear senpais, need some advise on which area to stay for my trip on feb next year. like good amenities, transport nearby.

hiroshima - 2 nights (1 whole day at mijiyama, other day is atomic bomb center, castle, etc..)
Your trip is only 3D2N at Hiroshima?
Old 22-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #7650

i've brought back fresh fruits such as strawberries, apples, persimmons, even sweet potatoes and pumpkins, without issue when going thru singapore customs.

my first okinawa trip is this dec and i heard that fresh produce is disallowed. anybody knows why?
You heard or you read from a proper legit source?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.