HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask me any questions

Like Tree833Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #8116
Master Member

Planing for Osaka and Kyoto in Oct 18, Osaka airport is nearest right ? I want to book air ticket at first and hotel later.. Any recommendation to stay where , I have always thought to stay at Osaka only and Kyoto to travel by days only..

Please advise me if I miss out some fun here.
KIX airport at Osaka.

I stayed at both Osaka and Kyoto when I was there and I strongly recommended staying at Osaka rather than both places. Kyoto is rather quiet after late evening. However I like kyoto more than Osaka.

Kyoto is just a 30 mins train ride from Osaka and there is no need move your luggages around for another accommodation.

For convenient. Staying near namba is good.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #8117
Master Member

15 days for the places u have listed already feels quite rush, typically osaka kyoto and tokyo would be enuf to occupy 15 days.

Alpine route consists of multiple transportation, so need to get on and off bus, train and cable car. And there is a part that need walking, from one end of kurobe dam to the other. But it is flat ground, and quite short distance
Thanks! If i was to do kyoto to takayama via nagoya transit is that advisable?

W subsequent shirakawago day trip.

Or is there a btr way?

I assume june period is just green foliage

Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #8118

Hi all, I'm into the more detailed planning of my trip in mid Apr (hopefully still in time to catch the tail end of the cherry blossoms, esp in the Fuji area and Shinjuku later blooming species)

Appreciate comments and advice on my itinerary:

Day 1: (Accom: Shinjuku)
land in Narita after midnight flight so probably a more relaxed pace
- Shinjuku Gyoen Park (if any chance of catching some cherry blossoms)
- Chidorigafuchi (if still in peak bloom)
- Meiji Jingu
- Yoyogi park
- Shinjuku area (kabukicho or Golden Gai area)

Day 2: (Accom: Shinjuku)
- Imperial palace
- Ueno park (if still have blooms)

Day 3: (Accom: Shinjuku)
- Ginza
- Akihabara (electronics or some theme cafes)
- Ikebukuro (pokemon centre)

Day 4: (Accom: Hakone Ginyu rokan)
- Hakone (Odakyu railway - romance car) -> is this good way since save some time to travel there.
- explore via Hakone ropeway, cable car
- Owakudini
- go back Ryokan relax

Day 5: (Accom: Asakusa)
- check out from ryokan probably proceed to Mt Fuji one of the lakes
- lake Ashi? cos nearer
- chureito Pagado (seems abit far but offers good view if sakura still in bloom)
- lake kawaguchiko seems too far to explore
- this is the day I'm most unsure of. Which places I can go and how am I going to find my way back to Tokyo?

Day 6: (Accom: Asakusa)
- Harajuku
- Shibuya (for the vibes not so the shopping)

Day 7: (Accom: Asakusa)
- Tsukiji
- Asakusa
- Sumiko river cruise
- Odaiba (rainbow bridge, Venus fort etc)

Day 8: (Accom: Asakusa)
- Disneyland or Sea

Day 9: (Accom: Asakusa)
- Tokyo skytree
- Tokyo tower (depends)

Day 10: flight back to SG in evening from Haneda

I think some of the days seems quite empty so not sure if I can squeeze in a side trip out of Tokyo maybe to Kamakura if I optimize on other days? Will be traveling with parents in their early 60s. So most likely less shopping.
Really need abit of help for Day5 as I'm evening considering if driving is an option?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #8119

Mid April Tokyo shld be no more Sakura Liao la
Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #8120

Mid April Tokyo shld be no more Sakura Liao la

Agreed most will be over. But based on 2017 actual blooms, seems like I might still catch some in Shinjuku Gyoen and Mt Fuji if the japan-guide is accurate... Hope I'm lucky this year...
https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sak...417_tokyo.html
Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #8121

Day 5: (Accom: Asakusa)
- check out from ryokan probably proceed to Mt Fuji one of the lakes
- lake Ashi? cos nearer
- chureito Pagado (seems abit far but offers good view if sakura still in bloom)
- lake kawaguchiko seems too far to explore
- this is the day I'm most unsure of. Which places I can go and how am I going to find my way back to Tokyo?
I am betting my Sakura on Lake Kawaguchiko, they have a night festival from 14 to 22 Apr. So planning one night stay there.
https://en.kawaguchiko.net/event-en/...soms-festival/

The pagoda is close (2 stations away) to the Kawaguichiko station and you can also catch The Fuji Shibazakura Festival with a bus ride from the station.
http://www.shibazakura.jp/eng/

There are direct buses to many areas in Tokyo from there.
http://www.shibazakura.jp/eng/access/

Getting there from Hakone is annoying though, need to go to Gotemba and change bus.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:14 AM   #8122
Master Member

how should I plan kyoto to alpine route to tokyo? is this route possible?
quite lost regarding the pacing / duration

seems like Kyoto > Kanazawa (via JR thunderbird approx 2hrs train ride), then spend a night there.

Next day morning,
Kanazawa > Toyama > Alpine route > Nagano > tokyo?

is it possible do this route in 1 day and subsequently check in to tokyo hotel at night?
Old 13-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #8123

seems like Kyoto > Kanazawa (via JR thunderbird approx 2hrs train ride), then spend a night there.

Next day morning,

is it possible do this route in 1 day and subsequently check in to tokyo hotel at night?
You can complete it in one day but just don't expect to be able to hike at each spot along the route. Probably can just target a few locations depending on the season.

The hard cutoff time will be the time around 6pm when the last transport leaves so how much you enjoy depends on what time you start the route.

If you turn back at Murodo, then you can catch a bullet train from Toyama to Tokyo. If you go all the way through, you will need to take a bus to Shinano Omachi to catch the train to Matsumoto and catch Azusa Ltd Express to Tokyo.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7551.html
Otherwise you can continue on the bus to Nagano.
https://www.alpen-route.com/en/timetable/timetable.html

In terms of staying, I would advise you to stay in Toyama rather than Kanazawa for the night, so that you can catch the earlier trains to Tateyama to start the route. Hotels are comparatively cheaper too.
https://www.chitetsu.co.jp/english/railways/#timetable

There is also an express bus at Kurobe Dam to Tokyo but I don't think you can forward your luggage there, only Shinano-Omachi and Nagano.
https://www.alpen-route.com/en/trans...w/baggage.html
Tornesoul likes this.
Old 13-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #8124
Arch-Supremacy Member

What is your travel period?
end march
Sat
kiyozumi dera
Nishiki market
Fushiminari

I dunno about your preference but kiyomizu dera and then Nishiki will most likely eat up all the daylight. Fushimi inari is on the south side of Kyoto. You will need to get back to Kyoto station and then proceed to the south side.
i take out nishiki market

Tue
Arashiyama
Kinakuji

You can't get across Kyoto in the time that will allow you to have fun and explore both places especially Arashiyama nicely. You are doing Free n Easy because you do not want the tour bus experience of touch n go.

my advice, make a choice. Which place you really want to see in the season you are there? You can't catch em all. Plus like I always say "there is always next time". I have been to Kyoto quite a few times and I can still come up with something I have not done before. Japan is basically my permanent holiday destination
my replies in blue
thanks cancer81
Old 13-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #8125
Arch-Supremacy Member

Next day morning,

Going to be very rush especially since u need to make it back to tokyo. Maybe spend the night in toyama or somewhere along the alpine route to buy u more time on the route?

The other challenge will be ur luggage. There is a luggage forwarding service that can deliver ur luggage to the other end of alpine route within the same day. But u need to catch the timing to send in ur luggage. Alternatively, i suggest u use normal overnight forwarding service, and send ur luggage from kyoto to tokyo straight. Just need to bring a smaller backpack enuf for one night in kanazawa
Tornesoul likes this.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #8126
High Supremacy Member

my replies in blue
thanks cancer81
not sure if there is any big stuff going on, so should not have serious crowds

not looking at the distance between kinkakuji and Arashiyama??
Old 13-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #8127
Banned

how long should one spend at Takayama / Shirakawa-go?

is shirakawa-go a daytrip place like nara or?
We came down from Kyoto, toured Takayama and spent a night there. Next morning took the tour bus to Shirakawa-go which returned around 4pm , just in time for the train back to Kyoto.
Old 13-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #8128
Banned

Also Kyoto is majority travel by bus. The bus is small, cramp and not luggage/stroller friendly. but if you have to, please make use of the coin lockers in the station.
I did not take any bus in Kyoto. Relied strictly on trains and some cab rides. Do not shy away from cab rides thinking it is going to be too expensive. For short to mid distances, not very expensive yet allows you the flexibility of covering more places if planned systematically.
Old 13-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #8129
Master Member

Any good Chinese food that doesn't require reservation in tokyo for dinner? Going this Friday, thought of eating Chinese food.
Old 13-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #8130

I am betting my Sakura on Lake Kawaguchiko, they have a night festival from 14 to 22 Apr. So planning one night stay there.
https://en.kawaguchiko.net/event-en/...soms-festival/

The pagoda is close (2 stations away) to the Kawaguichiko station and you can also catch The Fuji Shibazakura Festival with a bus ride from the station.
http://www.shibazakura.jp/eng/

There are direct buses to many areas in Tokyo from there.
http://www.shibazakura.jp/eng/access/

Getting there from Hakone is annoying though, need to go to Gotemba and change bus.
Ya the pain is from Hakone to the Kawaguchiko side.. whether to drive or public transport. Also have to consider what to pack, maybe need to leave some luggages in Tokyo (1 of those lockers at train station) and travel lighter to Hakone in the first place.

Thanks! I might check out the pink moss place..

My horror memory was during my last trip to Kawaguchiko in Autumn, we took a bus which was long journey and finally managed to get to a place with connecting train back to Tokyo. It was already pitch black and kinda worried couldn't get back in time..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.